PDA

View Full Version : Holy crow, it's Wednesday!

Monique
February 28th, 2018, 07:15 AM

Good morning friends. It was not an exciting day yesterday but I did get more threads hidden on the dang quilt. I had lost a sewing needle on the carpet somewhere but ALAS I found it yesterday afternoon. Today I will NOT procrastinate and get 'er done. Guild was guild, a few workshops were held, nothing too exciting for me at least.

My brother called last night and he has finished the foot pedal adapters that I asked him to make. I think he will deliver them today so I will make lunch. I look forward to trying it out.

Les works the night shift tonight so I have the evening to myself.

Have a good day everyone.

MHG Winnower
February 28th, 2018, 07:32 AM
The foot pedal stand looks super! For finding needles, picking up spilled pins and most importantly changing rotary blades, I use a canning jar magnetic lid lifter. Got mine for a $1 at Walmarts, seems like they don't carry them any more. Amazon, has them but a tad more expensive. https://www.ebay.com/i/110728772329?chn=ps Of course a standard magnet would help with the needles and pins, but this jar lifter can't be beat for changing rotary blades.

Monique
February 28th, 2018, 07:46 AM
The foot pedal stand looks super! For finding needles, picking up spilled pins and most importantly changing rotary blades, I use a canning jar magnetic lid lifter. Got mine for a $1 at Walmarts, seems like they don't carry them any more. Amazon, has them but a tad more expensive. https://www.ebay.com/i/110728772329?chn=ps Of course a standard magnet would help with the needles and pins, but this jar lifter can't be beat for changing rotary blades.

I had looked and looked in the morning to no avail and I had a magnetic thingy. In the afternoon it was right there!! Go figure.

Star lover
February 28th, 2018, 07:55 AM
Good morning everyone!

I sure don't want to quit quilting.....so no QA for me!

My sister lost a needle once in the carpet......I found it.......I stepped on it with my heel, drove that sucker in deep! My mom pulled it out with pliers. I lived, Wowzers! It hurt! So I'm super careful, and still I've lost I don't know how many....some never have been found.....yet......

Monique, how happy for you. That pedal is gonna be great and spending some time with your brother....bonus!

Suppose to have some sun this am and then rain. But close to 60'!! Snow by Thursday night.....Michigan!

Managed to sew a label onto a quilt and sewed 1 block together on the new one....sigh....
Spent hours cleaning up the yard, and it was only sticks, branches and garbage that blew in. I'm super sore. Hard a hard time getting to sleep, so who knows what today will bring.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day. Enjoy those you love and doing something you love. Hugs to all.

Georgie Girl
February 28th, 2018, 08:04 AM

I used that same canning jar lifter for years. It has the handle so you don't need to crawl around on your knees. I keep mine right next to my machine so when I do drop a needle I can pick it up right away. I'm sure you can find them wherever they sell canning supplies. Before I bought my magnetic pin holder the container I was using would spill over and boy was I happy to have that lid lifter.

Bubby
February 28th, 2018, 08:46 AM
Morning Everyone....I have am 8 am dental appointment in Houston (MO). 8 am is awkward because it clashes with Dottie's first meal, her meds and her walk.

Joy, I hope you got a better report on your teeth yesterday. I hope not much is wrong with me other than a cavity I can feel. Undoubtedly he will find oodles that needs to be done. I never dreamed I would still have my own teeth at my age. At least there are no storms this morning. After today things should fall into the normal range.

Dottie had a rough day with the groomer yesterday. She didn't want to stand up for them. They took extra care with her because she isn't feeling well right now. I hope her increased medication gives her some relief soon. It wears her out to go to the apartments with us and the vet and groomer also fatigue her. She's had a week of all three. I try not to stack up appointments for any of us, but around here you have to wait forever to be worked in. My dental appointment has been on the books for almost 7 weeks. It's time for me to shower and get on the road.

Wishing everyone a great day.

Ginny B
February 28th, 2018, 09:42 AM
Good morning all. It's a nice morning here although not as sunny as yesterday. Waiting on a storm to come in though and the next two days won't be nice at all from what I can see. It was a better day at work yesterday. Still catching up on things but not as far behind as I was.

Love the idea of the canning jar magnet. Might have to get one to keep in my sewing room.

Have a good day everyone. Be safe all those in the sights of the storms across the country. Prayers and hugs to all that need them.

KPH
February 28th, 2018, 10:25 AM
Good Morning All,

It sounds like the start of a great day on many fronts. Monique, I won some bendy needles at some point. I made the mistake of getting them out the other day to do a little hand stitching. I snapped one of the silly things. I had both pieces and put them on my coaster and went to get a new needle. When I was cleaning up my string nubbins I picked up the two pieces, got about half way across the rug and dropped them. I found the pointy end right away. The eye end was no where to be found. I vacuumed and hoped for the best. I found it a few days later. Apparently I was standing at the right angle and the sun was in the right position for it to shine just a little bit! I did a happy dance, I sure didn't want the kids running around in here barefooted to be the finder!

Barb I hate to hear Dottie is not feeling better. Hopefully you'll see improvement soon as the medication has a chance to catch up. Good Luck at the dentist. My dentist from Charlotte recommended two dentists here in Jacksonville. I'm going to have to call, it's been a year since my last work was done. Things are settling down, so maybe I can set up an appointment!

Joy, I hope you've found a good dentist!

It's cloudy this morning but specks of blue are peeking through. Hopefully we'll see some sunshine, but we could use the rain, too. So what ever mother nature brings, we'll be thankful. I hope those in stormy paths are safe and sound through out.

Not much on the plans here. I need to run to Lowe's to pick up a new threshold for the front door. The kids are almost done with the storm door project. Morgan was pointing out stuff they needed to fix, so at least it wasn't me this time! It's to the tinkering stage. I'm going to love having it! I doubt that that will get touched tonight. I need to pick up two small flower pots. I started botany with Jonathan last week, so this week we're going to be splitting up the African Violet family that's growing in one pot. There is the original plant and two babies have split off. It will be a good time to go over the parts of the plant and show him a little about pollination.

Chicken salad and salad are on the dinner menu tonight. I'll need to pick up some fresh salad fixings to go with the chicken and probably some pickle cubes. I put 5 chicken breasts in the crock pot. Jonathan and Zeke will eat chicken salad, Esther will eat plain chicken. Jonathan won't eat salad, but Zeke and Esther will eat salad. Jonathan will have carrots and celery instead. lol, if anyone ever told me I'd be fixing meals catering to individual whims, I would have said you're nuts, but here I am catering to three short people. When Jim called this morning, I asked him if he thought the kids would eat chicken salad in lettuce rolls. So, we'll see what the final dinner actually is! For sure, there's going to be chicken salad!

Chris's fabric should be here tonight with the mail. So after home school and a trip to the bank, I should be able to start cutting and piecing.

Have a great day everyone.

Prayers for those in need. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

MissMay
February 28th, 2018, 11:17 AM
[ATTACH=CONFIG]150642[/A
Woke up stiff and sore this morning, had 2 cups of coffee and still feel the same so it's going to be a sloooow day. Too early to take a nap so I think I'll put the laundry away and then hit the couch.

Carlie Wolf
February 28th, 2018, 12:10 PM
I use to have two canning jar magnets because I did can a lot. They're among the missing so I have no idea where I might have put them. They did come in handy for things though. I have one of the magnetic bowls for pins that I use by my long arm and they do come in handy. I wonder if I use that to find pins would it work. I go nuts when I drop pins, I'm so afraid that they will wind up in Carlie's paw. So far we've lucked out.

I'm loving the weather we're having even when it rains and I've spent a fair amount out on the porch. I did notice though that only two of my early spring bulbs have come up. No crocus and only two hyacinth. Last year my well established echinacea and yarrow was nowhere to be seen. I don't know WHAT is going on! My tiger lilies, daffodials, and iris have broken the ground though.

I have quite a few errands to do today. The library is a priority since I finished my last book last night. Then the bank for a deposit and on to Walmart for Carlie's pills, some batting and doggie things. I really don't like errand days because they are so tiring! I ordered a graphics pad from Amazon and that comes today. I'd love to sit here and just draw instead. I'm really excited about that as I want to learn to make my own drawings for embroidery patterns. I'll have to order the software this month too :-)

Hope everyone has a nice day and that Barb's Dottie feels better soon.

Claire Hallman
February 28th, 2018, 12:35 PM
I miss seeing spring bulbs break ground at our old house, we need to plant some daffs here for next year. Our lilies are pushing up and the hydrangeas have some green on them.:icon_bigsmile:
I bought some home dec fabric yesterday to make new slips for the porch furniture, a big job that I don't love but will be happy when it is done. I will try out Hobby Lobby today for long zippers, maybe a roll. :icon_happy:
Maybe they will have some pretty springy silk flowers to perk up the dining room centerpiece.
My new table extension is working out great, the contact paper has just enough slickness for the quilt to glide across it.

JCY
February 28th, 2018, 05:31 PM
Good afternoon ~ I'm just now getting here. My time at 6 a.m. was too short to post. I had BSF this a.m. It was my week to play the piano. No errands today. DH wanted me to come right home. He's having one of those days.

Regarding pins & needles lost on the floor ~ I don't know how many I've lost in the shag carpet in my sewing room. I never go in there barefoot. I always wear shoes. I usually am able to find the pins (I've spilled them many times!) because I spy the yellow tips. But hand sewing needles -- I don't know how many of them I've lost. They just disappear from sight!

Well, to the dentist's report: I liked him okay. His staff was friendly & welcoming. He has a very holistic approach. He's been practicing at least 20 yrs. I had requested my records & digital x-rays from the previous office, so he reviewed those as well as did the oral exam. It was disappointing news. I don't have 13 cavities, but I do have at least 7. The 2 front center crowns on the top, which I've had for 42 years, need to be replaced. It is soft around the edges of both teeth. I have decay around some old amalgam fillings that need attention. Another tooth may need a crown. Depends on what he finds when he works on it. So...I have some major dental work to be done. I meet with him again in a few days for another consult for him to present a treatment plan, prioritize what needs to be done, etc. & learn how much is will cost. Any crowns are out of pocket; our ins. doesn't cover it. I'll quickly use up our $750./yr. max allowance. (It used to be $1,000., but they lowered it this year. Grrrr!) They do give a discount for cash payment. So I don't know yet how much $ I'm looking at. I've had more problems with my teeth since going on the Metformin (diabetes med.), which dries out my mouth. Hay fever season is just around the corner; the antihistamines also dry out my mouth.

I made myself get out the door yest. & go for a walk. I have sore muscles in my back & feet today. I'm going to try to walk at least every other day. I had a significant drop in my blood glucose level when I came back from my walk, so I do know it's good for me.

I did no sewing yest. I plan to get down to the sewing room yet today. I discovered one small area of FMQ where the stitches are too loose that I need to re-do. Then turn the binding & stitch it down. It will be done except for the label.

Tonight is the opening episode of the new season of Survivor.

Today I heard a quote by Rev. Billy Graham. Not sure if I have it exactly right, but something to the effect. "If you hear I've died, don't believe it. I'll be more alive than ever. I'll just have changed addresses." What a glorious hope Christians have!