PDA

View Full Version : Dreary Sunday morning.....

shermur
February 25th, 2018, 09:07 AM
I am so ready for spring! UGH!

Right now there is a wintry mix of sleet outside....but, hopefully it will warm up later and melt what has fallen this
morning.

Yesterday, DH and I got our taxes done with new Tax preparer. Out last CPA we had for over 15 years, it felt funny entrusting a stranger with out personal information. And, after all was said and done? Because we had to have health insurance through the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) when DH lost his job last year and they was an over payment of about 800.00, we have to pay back over 500.00 in income taxes! Had the overpayment not been included, we would have gotten money back! Go figure....

So, this morning I have been watching the videos from Quilt Con 2018 in Pasadena, CA that is going on this weekend! I wish I was there, but the videos are grand to watch! Such inspiration!
I need to get something cooking in the crockpot so I can sew today. I have a baby quilt to finish....

I also need to catch up on the newest block of the NQC Block challenge, number 7. I have the Riley Blake fat eighth challenge to do and then there's 3 tops to quilt for the local guild quilt show happening in April.
I guess it's a good thing I lost my job so I can create, huh? Although, I have high hopes for 3 job interviews to fit in this coming week.

KPH
February 25th, 2018, 09:25 AM
Good Morning Sherri and all that follow,

It was quiet here yesterday, a trip to wally world to pick up some odds and ends. I finished one of the mug rugs for the Mother's Day swap. Thought I'd try something different.. I hand quilted it. Just don't look at the back! The second one is also hand quilted ready for the binding to be folded and stitched down.

Watched the Olympics on one channel in the afternoon, only to see the same programing on NBC local last night. I guess tv will be getting back to normal next week.

Ready for church this morning. After last week's panic over misplacing my Dad's big print Bible and J telling me I'd left it in the van. I made sure it got put away in it's proper place.

Hopefully one of the boys will finish the job on the storm door today. Mike goes in later, I won't wake him since he got home around 11:30 last night. I know it takes him a while before he can go to sleep. He has Monday off, but sometime we'll have to go get the Vibe... if it's finished with that 20 minute job that took more than a day.

The grass is going to have to be done this week. I need to get an azalea for out at the road. The people that lived here before bought plants to spruce up the place, but left them all in the pots. Really! We kicked out all of the ornamental grasses and the 'puke and poop' plants (renamed because that's what they make you do if you chew on the leaves). I'm going to plant my nandinas that I planted from the berries. Mom's grandmother gave those nandinas to her when she and dad moved into their first house. She moved them from Greensboro to Stanley when they moved down. DH refused to move them to FL. I babied those seeds for over a year they've bushed out and are big enough to plant. I can't wait to get them in the ground! I hope they'll take off growing once they're out of the pots.

Best be getting busy, kids will be here soon to pick me up.

Prayers for those in need for healing, peace, comfort and strength. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

JCY
February 25th, 2018, 10:03 AM
Good Sunday Morning ~ We had a sunny day yest. It briefly made it up to 50 deg., but mostly it was in the 40's. At least there was some melting of the snow & ice. It got very windy & was blowing the snow off the roofs & swirling it on the ground. Today it's supposed to be 40. There is a possibility of more snow on Wed.

I didn't get a whole lot of sewing done yest., but I did get some fabric cut for blocks & sewed 1 block together. I hope to get more accomplished today. I'm surprised at how many of my scraps from a previous project are working for the Buckeye Beauty blocks. It takes 3.5" squares for the 4-patches. It's been fun putting the fabrics together.

I hope everyone has a good day.

This a.m. will be church. No errands to run today. I watched the figure skating last night, but not the bobsled.

Carolnnc
February 25th, 2018, 10:06 AM
It's 64 & sunny so I'm sitting on the deck, eating breakfast & letting the puppy toss his toys around. He has a chew treat but just wants to eat the pine needles. I tried to get them all up but they are slippery little devils. I'm hoping to get him really tired so I can work on cleaning in the garage. If I can just get some of the things that need to go to the thrift shop I'll feel like I accomplished something this week.

DH is working today so I'm going for peace & quiet until he gets home & plots down in front of the tv. I love listening to music but sometimes I need the silence.

Can't decide if it will be pork chops or salmon patties for dinner tonight. I feel like I've cooked so much in my life that nothing sounds good anymore.

Well puppy wants to go in. Hope everyone has a good day!

Monique
February 25th, 2018, 10:50 AM
It is a blustery day that is supposed to include snow, freezing rain and then rain. Not a good day to driving anywhere. Freezing rain right now.

I finished the binding and now to take care of all the threads in the memory quilt. When that is all done, I shall take some pictures.

I watched two stupid movies yesterday, Jumangi and Mother.

I just got off the phone with Bonnie and she is starting to plan our trip to Penssylvania in June. Going to Amish country!! I think Obie's will be on the list to visit. WOOHOO!!

Have a great day everyone.

grammaterry
February 25th, 2018, 11:04 AM
rainy here and DH is ecstatic. He worked this week on a new road on the property thru the woods and moved the top soil to our back yard area which has always just been weedy and rocky. Leveled it off and planted rye grass. He is out looking to see if the rain made the grass come up. lol.
As for me, yesterday I took the snippers to the edge of the woods where the front yard joins the forest and cut out all the blackberry sprouts. Then DH saw me and saw I was cutting out small sapling poplars and came with the chain saw and I pointed and he cut out all the small trees so that I could open up the woods and make them pretty. He cut and I hauled all the brush into a big pile. We also cut all the limbs off the two big hollys in the front yard. He asked how high I wanted them cut and I told him to make himself happy. HE said he would just cut the trees down so he didn't have to mow around them. I told him NO WAY. Those trees are well over 100 years old. So, he just delimbed them from the bottom so they could breath.
Then I was really exhausted, so I went to the sewing room and tried to make some tops from odds and ends pieces. I don't know about them but I have three put together. They are funky.
So, have any of you ever tried to sell quilts at a farmers market? I'm thinking of trying. Items have to be made and quilts certainly should qualify.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
February 25th, 2018, 11:21 AM
Good morning ladies.
I think it is one of those mornings. I forgot to put the cover on the coffee pot, so the grounds spewed all over and into the coffee pot. We made another pot, as it is beginning to be one of those days. Michael woke up from a really sore back. He hasn't recovered from that last fall, so I think he may go to doctor for a referral to physiotherapist.
My darling cat PJ woke me up at 4:30 and 7 am for a tummy rub, then belching at 8 am for me to fill their bowls. Our cat is run by PJ and Sox.
Yesterday we picked up paint samples and ceiling paint for our family room in basement. I told DH that I was no longer painting, given that I fell last year and needed physio for 3 months. The painter will come Wednesday and said it should be done in less than 3 days. He will have quite the job as the walls are deep red and gold. I am going for a soft gray. It will be more soothing. This was done by previous owners and looked dramatic, but I am Dover these bold colours.

I also pieced all but 2 rows of my friend's quilt. Today I hope to finish it. Then to see how much larger it needs to be. I am not enjoying all the bias seams to match.

Rainy and snowy, yucky dull weather. Not going out at all. Yesterday it was still icy in the parking lots and too risky for these bones.
Have a good day.

shermur
February 25th, 2018, 11:23 AM
I just got off the phone with Bonnie and she is starting to plan our trip to Penssylvania in June. Going to Amish country!! I think Obie's will be on the list to visit. WOOHOO!

Monique...that's funny you mentioned that! I was mapping out where Obie's is from me in Vermont. It could very well be scheduled into a trip to Maryland to visit Murray's family the next time!!! According to the map, I'm about a little over 6 hours from Obie's!

shermur
February 25th, 2018, 11:28 AM
Rainy and snowy, yucky dull weather. Not going out at all. Yesterday it was still icy in the parking lots and too risky for these bones.
Have a good day.

Suzanne....yes, nasty icy weather here...I had made the acclamation on my FB page (my step-daughter should have seen it) that I had no plans to go anywhere today and sew. My DH informed me that dinner is at step-daughter's house, 6 PM. I wasn't even asked or regarding a plan to go anywhere. I'm just told we're going....UGH!

Ginny B
February 25th, 2018, 11:48 AM
Good morning everyone. It's a rainy morning here today. I do need to go over to my sister's for our weekly visit. They will be back March 5 so just one more plant watering/car starting trip to go. We usually go over on Saturday but yesterday was the day I went into the city with the two gals from work to the Downton Abbey Exhibit (second time for me). We had a great time.

After we get back from sis' s place, I will get dinner started and then spend some time in my sewing room. I have many directions I can go in there. I have some blocks to sew together for the signature quilt we are giving to one of my Asst. Directors who is resigning (we are all very sad and upset), baby blankets and burp cloths for a lot of little boys arriving over the next few months, a purse organizer requested by my dil, 4 fall tablerunners and a few other projects on my To do list. Decisions, decisions.

I hope everyone has a good day today.

Claire Hallman
February 25th, 2018, 12:22 PM
My DH informed me that dinner is at step-daughter's house, 6 PM. I wasn't even asked or regarding a plan to go anywhere. I'm just told we're going....UGH!
Silver lining: no need to cook anything so go, eat and enjoy.

Sorry about the job situation but as I recently told my son, there is no perfect job out there, if there was, they would not have to pay anyone to work.
Enjoy today in the sewing room if possible everyone.:D

KarenC
February 25th, 2018, 02:02 PM
Dreary weather outside today. Yesterday was the annual interfaith bee with my church group I quilt with, when not babysitting. This annual bee has been going on for 22 years. Our group donated 73 of 343 quilts collected yesterday. (We tied 2 yesterday, the others were finished over the past year). Over the 22 years, the combined group of churches has donated over 6000 quilts. The rest of the day was in the sewing room and mowing the lawn. Today will be back in the sewing room, hopefully to finish a top for the guild's charity bee, and getting laundry done. I am really working on trying to move out old fabric this year. Dang, I just forgot, I need to go to grocery store today also. Hope everyone has a great day.

MaryUK
February 25th, 2018, 09:46 PM
It's been a cold day here (although nowhere near as cold as you've had it). Went to church this morning and music practice this afternoon.

DH has worked like a Trojan this weekend to clear the kitchen, we're having a new kitchen fitted from tomorrow, should take about a week!! So the contents of the kitchen is mainly in the dining room - doesn't feel like my house at all. Poor pusscat is very confused (she's an old lady) and doesn't know what to do with herself, unfortunately next week will be even worse for her - I'll encourage her to spend the time upstairs.

On the plus side DH has told me to stay in my sewing room as I can never settle down when people are in the house, I feel I should be feeding and watering them (an old English saying) so I don't sit down and my hips protest. I have made myself a long list of things to do over the week, some quilt related, others are small sewing items for charity fundraisers.

Hope you all have a good day, hugs and best wishes for those in need.