PDA

View Full Version : A Disconcerting 2nd Day on the New Job - a Shooting!

JCY
February 22nd, 2018, 05:12 PM
My DIL started her new job in Fort Washington, MD on Tues. First day went great. Second day they were told to shelter in place because of an incident with a gunman. A 51 y.o. police officer was killed; the suspect was at large. They eventually found him; he engaged them with a gun; he was killed. He had a criminal record. The police had contacted all the offices/residents in the area & told everyone to remain inside until it was all clear. I googled the incident & read more about it. We've had 3 shootings/deaths of officers in Colo. in the past couple months. These men & women put their lives on the line for our safety. I'm very thankful my DIL is safe. So far, she is liking the new job. Her commute now is <60 min. which is an improvement.

Caroline T.
February 22nd, 2018, 05:17 PM
So happy to hear she is safe and well. My condolences to the community for the loss of their Officer and to his family especially.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
February 22nd, 2018, 05:59 PM
Oh my. I would be terrified. I am glad that she is safe and the shooter will no longer be able to hurt anyone. This is sad for the policeman's family.
What is wrong with people? There are so many shootings. It is really scary.

grammaterry
February 22nd, 2018, 08:58 PM
We have been so liberal about letting criminals out of prisons and people who have mental disorders to become mainstreamed. It surely is getting out of hand

KPH
February 22nd, 2018, 09:07 PM
I'm glad your DIL is liking her job. I know being on 'lock down' is no fun, but better safe than sorry.

One Lock Down story, we would have practice drills where the security teams would come and have their clip boards and stop watches. My room was next to only unlocked entrance to our mobile unit. In the fire extinguisher box by the door, we kept the key for the dog lock on the door- twist it once, the set of doors were locked. My assistant or I would run and take the dog off the door during the lockdown. The last practice lock down, the office didn't give the security person enough time to get up to our building. The bells went off. I started lowering the blinds, kids went to the circle, and Jean went to take the dog off. She had the door locked before the woman got in the building. The lady flashed her badge, and Jean mouthed to her, Sorry, we're having a lock down. I can't open the door. She came back in the room and shut the door. She called me over and told me what happened. I was like well, we followed procedure to the T, if they say anything I'll handle it. Thing is, she was complimented by security in the report.

Better safe than sorry! I'm glad your DIL was safe!

Star lover
February 23rd, 2018, 08:16 AM
So thankful your DIL is safe. Yes, lots going on in our world.....hopefully all goes well fromnow on. Happy she's liking her new job!

Monique
February 23rd, 2018, 08:16 AM
Yes better safe than sorry. But scary indeed. Glad she is okay.

Carol336
February 23rd, 2018, 09:21 AM
I'm so glad your DIL is safe. I worry about my gkids every day.....these school shootings just seem to be increasing. Plus I have 4 nephew's' on the police force - 3 in MD and 1 in CO....lots of special peeps on my prayer list.

So - on another note Joy....I'll be in CO for my nephew's wedding in April. We'll be in the Littleton area.....are you anywhere near there?

Georgie Girl
February 23rd, 2018, 09:33 AM
We have been so liberal about letting criminals out of prisons and people who have mental disorders to become mainstreamed. It surely is getting out of hand

I totally agree with you.