PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Trivia: Olympics Final



Star lover
February 22nd, 2018, 08:31 AM
Well this should be it for the Olympics.......

- PyeongChang is the smallest city to host the Olympics Games since 1994, when they were in Lillehammer, Norway.

150500

- This year's United States Team (242) is the biggest of any ever sent to the Winter Games.

- The PyeongChange Games are expected to cost about $13 billion, or around four times less than the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.

- The average price for a week-long trip to PyeongChang for the Olympics is $4,683.

- McDonald's has sponsored the US Olympic Committee for 42 years, though that will end after this year.

-NBC is broadcasting roughly 2,400 total hours of coverage across five networks (the most ever for a Winter Olympics)

-84% of the territory in PyeongChang is mountains.

150499

-13,000 police officers will be mobilized for the Games, plus 200 members from various official*US security teams who'll be there to lend a hand.

- Who pays for the Olympics? Taxpayers of the hosting city foot a good chunk of the bill. The privately-funded International Olympic Committee retains 10% of its revenue from its broadcast agreements and global sponsorship. The committee distributes the other 90% to support the staging of the Olympic Games and to promote the worldwide development of the sport. These funds include money for national Olympic committees and financial support to countries.

- Gold, silver, and bronze have a hidden meaning. Gold, silver, and bronze medals represent three of the five Ages of Man in Greek mythology. The Golden Age was a time when man and gods lived in harmony. The Silver Age saw man stray from piety, and the Bronze Age marks a period of war and violence.

150501

......Supposedly we’re in the Iron Age now, but that’s all Greek to me.

Hope you've enjoyed these......if you haven't....this is it!

auntstuff
February 22nd, 2018, 09:40 AM
- The Iron Age. Hesiod believed he and his contemporaries were in the Iron Age, an age of desolation, destruction and pain. Humans would fight against each other and would only care of themselves. Because of lack of shame and indignation, humankind would destroy itself, and the gods would abandon them.
Kind of explains why we don't have an iron medal

Hulamoon
February 22nd, 2018, 09:41 AM
I'm wondering about the McDonalds sponsorship, if it was their choice?

Speaking of medals, they had a little story on NBC the other day that athletes that win bronze are happier than those that win silver.

I enjoyed all of the trivia on the Olympics, I may not watch every sport, but I watch most of it when they come around, especially the side stories.

Star lover
February 22nd, 2018, 09:57 AM
Speaking of medals, they had a little story on NBC the other day that athletes that win bronze are happier than those that win silver

I wonder if it's because they got a medal at all. Whereas getting silver, means ya just missed gold! Just wondering.....

Star lover
February 22nd, 2018, 10:01 AM
From the Washington Post concerning McDonald's:

The American fast-food chain abruptly canceled its contract with the IOC last June, ending three years early a partnership that McDonald’s has held since the 1990s. While the company is still a local “partner” of the 2018 Games — holding domestic marketing rights in South Korea, and handing out free Big Macs in the Olympic Village — its footprint will be the smallest it’s been in decades.

Observers blame heightened competition in the fast-food industry, as well as changes to the Games themselves. McDonald’s, long the presumed king of quick-service chains, has had to pull back on its sponsorship commitments to fund menu changes and technology improvements, analysts said.

McDonald’s Olympic partnership also had attracted a barrage of bad press from public health groups, who have accused the IOC of undermining its emphasis on health and athleticism by taking money from companies that sell junk food.

Hulamoon
February 22nd, 2018, 11:05 AM
I wonder if it's because they got a medal at all. Whereas getting silver, means ya just missed gold! Just wondering.....

You got it, that was it! Thanks for the article. That's a lot of burgers to give away for free!

sew-what2015
February 22nd, 2018, 11:13 AM
I enjoy all the trivia but I don't remember as much as I once did.
There was a time when I was like a sponge soaking up all the trivia I could. I love it...always did but now it's sometimes difficult to remember something I read 5 minutes ago. Getting old sucks! I still enjoy reading it. Thanks Anita. Look forward to more trivia.

Anitamae56
February 22nd, 2018, 11:22 AM
Thanks for all the information about Olympics , I really know much about it. Was really surprised about mcdonalds.