PDA

View Full Version : This is so hard

BethB
February 20th, 2018, 04:46 PM
Today was the appointment at the oncologists office for the bone marrow test. They are checking if there is any of the lymphoma in the bone marrow. The dr. comes in and says he is also going to do a spinal tap because the blood they test they did last week showed very high levels of hdh, or something like that. He said it a couple of times but I just can't remember the letters exactly. Anyway, this could mean that the lymphoma has moved to his brain. Not good. Now, they are going to reschedule the echocardiogram that was scheduled for tomorrow and we are to be back at the oncologist's office at 8 a.m. tomorrow so they can give him his first chemo treatment. The echo will be done later this week or next week. The oncologist felt he really needed to get the treatment started.

So, after the bone marrow test and the spinal tap, they gave him a dose of something that will help prevent gout, which I gather can happen from the treatments. He will get another dose tomorrow (I think) after the chemo, and another one on Thursday. This is just becoming so overwhelming to me. It is hard to comprehend that he has been through all this in less than a month. This cancer is so aggressive it is unbelievable.

I also wanted to thank everyone for all the kind thoughts, words, prayers. It really means a lot. I don't and would never wish this horrible disease on anyone but I am so thankful that I have friends here that encourage me.

Nancy

Judy, USMC
February 20th, 2018, 04:54 PM
Nancy - still praying for strength for you both. I know it's not easy ... sending hugs.

LLLinda
February 20th, 2018, 05:03 PM
Nancy, I hope you have someone around you that can be with you and share their strength. You will be using yours for your DH so you need someone to rely on.

Astatoo
February 20th, 2018, 05:06 PM
Prayers, prayers and more prayers.

KPH
February 20th, 2018, 05:16 PM
You and yours are in my prayers. Lean on your faith.

Granny Fran
February 20th, 2018, 05:19 PM
Prayers ongoing, Nancy. See if you can get into a cancer support group. They did wonders for us when I was going though my treatments.

Star lover
February 20th, 2018, 05:29 PM
Oh Nancy, you sure do have a lot on your plate. I'll continuing praying for strength, healing and wisdom. Sending bigs hugs and lots of love!

CraftyJnet
February 20th, 2018, 05:47 PM
Praying for you and him.

Simply Quilting
February 20th, 2018, 05:57 PM
Nancy, praying for your dh and you.

Cathy F
February 20th, 2018, 06:16 PM
Ongoing prayers for both of you.

MRoy
February 20th, 2018, 06:42 PM
Prayers for strength and comfort for both of you.

Tracie T
February 20th, 2018, 06:53 PM
I'll continue praying for you both. I'm so sorry.

GuitarGramma
February 20th, 2018, 07:11 PM
I will pray for you both! Remember, the faster the lymphoma is growing, the better chemo can attack it. When my daughter was going through chemo—which saved her life—they told us that chemo only gets the "fast stuff" (of course, it was more medical language than that). Bless you both!

dwil23
February 20th, 2018, 07:16 PM
Saying a prayer for both of you as well as those who are taking care of him.

(((HUGS)))

sew-what2015
February 20th, 2018, 07:19 PM
Prayers continue for both of you.

Jean Sewing Machine
February 20th, 2018, 07:34 PM
Nancy, my prayers are with you as you and your husband go through this. I was in your shoes 14 years ago, and it is just so difficult. You might want to take a pad of paper with you and if there is something you don't understand, ask the doctor to clarify, and write down what you hear. You are taking in so much new information that you can't possibly absorb it all and remember. I walk with you as you take these most difficult steps.

Sandy Navas
February 20th, 2018, 07:34 PM
Still have the prayers going! Praying especially that you have someone close to you on whom you can lean when you need physical comfort!

azmotogirl
February 20th, 2018, 07:47 PM
Prayers for you and your husband...... you have both been put on 2 prayers lists here in Arizona.

MSN
February 20th, 2018, 09:39 PM
Nancy,

With all of this being thrown at so at once, it certainly feels overwhelming. You are stronger than you think. And know that you have a great support team here on the Forum.

I am a chemo nurse; perhaps I can help interpret some of this scary and confusing stuff. The medicine for gout is most likely allopurinol. When the chemo destroys the lymphoma cells, the dying cells release byproducts into the bloodstream. In medical terms, this is called "tumor lysis syndrome" (or just TLS). The breakdown of the bad cells can cause the uric acid level to rise. The allopurinol helps prevent that. Unless his medical team has instructed otherwise, encourage your husband to drink a lot of water or other non-caffeinated liquids for the next several days to help flush all those byproducts out of his system.

If the lymphoma is in his brain (and that is only an "if" for now until you get the results of the spinal tap), please don't panic. It is still treatable. We'll cross that bridge if we come to it. One day at a time.

Remember, too, that the more aggressive the cancer is, the better it responds to chemotherapy. I think your DH will have a good response to the chemo.

Please feel free to PM me if I can help in any way.

Gail

auntiemern
February 20th, 2018, 10:50 PM
Nancy, sending hugs and prayers. I haven't been on the forum much, but I do check on your post from time to time.

grandma nurse
February 20th, 2018, 10:59 PM
Nancy, continued prayers for you and your husband.

tamsterg7
February 20th, 2018, 11:03 PM
Prayers for you both. Take one day at a time, and take time for yourself to rest your mind and body too! Very easy to say, and I now turning the brain off is hard - but take care of yourself so that you can be strong for both you and your DH.

jjkaiser
February 20th, 2018, 11:11 PM
I absolutely know how difficult this is. It's like it has barely sunk in that your husband has cancer and they are doing biopsies and scheduling immediate chemo treatments already and talking possible brain cancer and it is just so hard to wrap your head around it all. I have always been a very positive person. Yesterday my husband said something that completely took me by surprise. When he was depressed and having chemo and feeling horrible, he said what kept him going the most was me telling him everything was going to be okay and reassuring him Yes, you can do this. I know it is hard but try to remain calm. You can come here any time and know our thoughts are with you both as you navigate this terrible situation.

Cokie
February 20th, 2018, 11:13 PM
Saying a prayer and sending you a hug. I understand how scary it is.

MissMay
February 21st, 2018, 10:44 AM
Adding some more hugs for both of you, 150489

JaniceR
February 21st, 2018, 12:51 PM
I am so very sorry you and your husband are going through all this. I truly canít imagine how hard it all must be. Please remember to take care of yourself so that you can stay strong for both yourself and your husband. I will say prayers you both.

pcbatiks
February 21st, 2018, 05:26 PM
Nancy, Iím so sorry that there is so much worrisome news for you and your husband to process. If possible have someone else go with the two of you for appointments. If helps to have an extra set of ears to take in all the info and support. A notebook for questions and info might be helpful too. My heart and prayers go out to you. My DH was treated for cancer over 22 years ago and I remember how scary and overwhelming it can be.

Big hugs of comfort to you with lots of prayers.

pcbatiks
February 21st, 2018, 05:34 PM
I absolutely know how difficult this is. It's like it has barely sunk in that your husband has cancer and they are doing biopsies and scheduling immediate chemo treatments already and talking possible brain cancer and it is just so hard to wrap your head around it all. I have always been a very positive person. Yesterday my husband said something that completely took me by surprise. When he was depressed and having chemo and feeling horrible, he said what kept him going the most was me telling him everything was going to be okay and reassuring him Yes, you can do this. I know it is hard but try to remain calm. You can come here any time and know our thoughts are with you both as you navigate this terrible situation.

Jocelyn, this brought tears to my eyes. I was touched by your DH letting you know how much your encouragement helped him. I remember my DH telling me something similar when he was going through treatments.

Nancy, give him as much encouragemnt as you can, even when you are feeling fearful. We will be praying for you also....for strength, peace and comfort.

mommadeb
February 21st, 2018, 06:52 PM
Prayers on their way.

Connie Jo
February 22nd, 2018, 10:44 AM
Nancy I pray for both of you everyday. I wish there was more I could do. Hugs

geegeequilts
March 1st, 2018, 04:27 PM
Beth
I know the power of prayer & just know that I'll be doing that for your family. Take care of YOU as well.

Gina