PDA

View Full Version : Good morning Monday

Monique
February 19th, 2018, 09:28 AM

Good morning friends. What a gorgeous weekend we had, no bitter cold. Les left Friday morning for the camp, I quilted. I set up my 301 on the kitchen table and away I sewed. Continued on Saturday for a while. Lynda and I went to the Family Fun Day for a bit. Sat with a couple and struck up a conversation. Who knew!! She is a quilter too. I may have made a new friend. In the field across the road, a trail had been plowed for the horse and buggy to drive through. Yesterday I wanted to go for a walk and decided to use this trail. Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. I walked around three times. To me I was in heaven, as there were no dogs and I was the only one. I think I will go again today. I really need to get off my duff and get some kind of exercise now that the warmer weather is here.

I spent most of yesterday on the quilt again. I ran into a problem, had to take part of a block apart and redo it, it had stretched enough that it was making puckers. Got that fixed, and quilted some more. Hopefully today I might see the end of it, if not then tomorrow for sure. It certainly isn't a 'perfect' quilt but I feel that the parents will love it just the same, at least that is the goal.

I have Victoria's Quilts tomorrow. And I work on Friday. It is also Phil's birthday on Friday but he isn't coming home and not sure if we are going to go to Trenton or wait until I go get Maizyn. We shall see.

Have a wonderful day friends. I think we might see sunshine today.

KPH
February 19th, 2018, 09:43 AM
Good Morning Monique and all that follow.

It's gloomy here. Fog has set in and will last through 10 according to the news. We'll see. My friend the squirrel is back. I'll chase him off once I'm done here.

I worked checking off the stuff for the tax folks. I went through last years papers and tried to see if we had everything. I think I have everything but one piece from LPL. Once that comes in, I'll be visiting H&R Block, since they're right around the corner.

Mike went in yesterday at 3, so I tried to wait for him to come home for dinner. Didn't make it, so I went ahead and ate around 7:30. He had his when he got home. I fixed two Mahi Mahi steaks in parchment with lemon garlic seasoning and lemon butter sauce that you can buy in the bottle.

We'll have the little ones this morning. Then I'll call the folks that have the camper. The property taxes for NC came in last week. I have to turn in the tag! No sense paying property taxes there when we don't live there.

Prayers for those in need for peace, comfort, understanding and healing. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

lol, Papa Cardinal isn't happy with Mr. Squirrel eating on his bird seed brick, but that squirrel isn't taking the hint. Best give the cardinals a helping hand.

Star lover
February 19th, 2018, 09:44 AM
Mornin Monique and all who'll follow.

No soap opera here! But sure gave me a laugh!

So happy Monique you got some sewing time in. And the trail sounds fantastic! Hope you get to repeat your peaceful stroll again today!

We had sun all weekend with temps around 40. BUT....oh my....I can hardly believe it....it'll be 50's today and 60' tomorrow! It's gonna rain until Thursday, but I'll take it! The concern here is flooding. We're up on high ground, so we should be good, bit maybe not others here. But 60!!!!!! Oh I smell, feel and can almost taste spring! Oh happy days! Sure we'll get some cold and some snow.....but it ain't a gonna last! Yahoo!

Yesterday was the 2 year anniversary of the death of my dad. DH always plans something to pick up my spirits. So off to a "local" quilt shop. It's 45 minutes away. But it took 2 hours! Construction! In Michigan we have 5 seasons....one of them is construction season! But we got there and had a good time. Bonus....no construction on the way home. He was going to take me to dinner at a place we love....45 minutes in the other direction from our home, but we were both tired, so called it a day.

I got a new cutting mat, so today I'm going to give it a test drive. My old one was over 20 years old and had ruts. I got an Olfa for under $20, but it stunk so bad, I took it to the basement. I was wanting a Martelli mat, but DH (who loves to investigate stuff) saw a Quilters Select, checked stores...so I got that. It's not a big one. Decided the smaller one I can flip to the other side. It's light grey one one side and dark grey on the other. So I'll seee today, if I like it.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day. Hugs to those struggling. Love to all!

MRoy
February 19th, 2018, 10:05 AM
Good morning! We're having false spring in KY. It's 60 degrees now and will be in the 70's today & tomorrow. It's sunny and I hope it stays that way as it's been really gloomy and rainy. The Cumberland River flooded and Lake Cumberland (where I live) has risen over 26 feet since Feb 1. Nothing exciting happening here, guild sit-n-sew is this afternoon. I hope to complete a donation quilt top while there. We're also working on a quilt to sell so I may be helping to sew the borders on that quilt instead. I'm behind on donation quilts so I need to get my quilting mojo back. Wishing everyone a good day!

JCY
February 19th, 2018, 10:07 AM
Good Morning, All ~ Yup! Yest. was the warm before the storm -- a common pattern here. After that wonderful 77 deg. yest. with sunshine, by bedtime the temp. had dropped to 30 deg. It started snowing some time during the night. When I looked out the window at 2 a.m., the driveway was wet & there was a light dusting of snow on the grass. Now the ground & streets are snow covered. It's snowing lightly. Maybe not quite 1" on the picnic table. The majority of the snow is expected later today & during the night into tomorrow. It's only 16 deg. this a.m.

Yest. a.m. was church. I stopped for groc. on the way home. I needed to pick up chicken & several items. The stores always are busy before snow is predicted. So today I'll be in the kitchen making soup. I'm glad I don't have to go anywhere.

Instead of FMQ yest. I decided to make more quarter log cabin blocks. I didn't have much time to sew, but I got 5 blocks made. It's all straight sewing, so they go together easily. I probably spend more time going through my stack of batik layer cake squares to decide on which fabrics go best with each charm square. I like to coordinate the colors. I now have a total of 16 blocks made. I'm using a pattern from Hyacinth Quilt Designs (see her blog). Her blocks were only 6"; she set them on point. She used this pattern to reduce her stash.

This is all I have time for this morning.

Monique
February 19th, 2018, 10:24 AM
Good Morning, All ~ Yup! Yest. was the warm before the storm -- a common pattern here. After that wonderful 77 deg. yest. with sunshine, by bedtime the temp. had dropped to 30 deg. It started snowing some time during the night. When I looked out the window at 2 a.m., the driveway was wet & there was a light dusting of snow on the grass. Now the ground & streets are snow covered. It's snowing lightly. Maybe not quite 1" on the picnic table. The majority of the snow is expected later today & during the night into tomorrow. It's only 16 deg. this a.m.

Yest. a.m. was church. I stopped for groc. on the way home. I needed to pick up chicken & several items. The stores always are busy before snow is predicted. So today I'll be in the kitchen making soup. I'm glad I don't have to go anywhere.

Instead of FMQ yest. I decided to make more quarter log cabin blocks. I didn't have much time to sew, but I got 5 blocks made. It's all straight sewing, so they go together easily. I probably spend more time going through my stack of batik layer cake squares to decide on which fabrics go best with each charm square. I like to coordinate the colors. I now have a total of 16 blocks made. I'm using a pattern from Hyacinth Quilt Designs (see her blog). Her blocks were only 6"; she set them on point. She used this pattern to reduce her stash.

This is all I have time for this morning.

"I didn't have much time to sew, but I got 5 blocks made", this made me smile. You must sew fast like me. I was told, not too long ago, to slow down, I could get a speeding ticket. hahaha

grammaterry
February 19th, 2018, 10:56 AM
oh my aching back...yesterday I raked leaves from the flower beds, then decided to pull up the black matting that was suppose to keep the weeds down. Well, it didn't. The weeds grew on top of the matting and rooted down into it. Boy was it heavy to lift all that stuff up and out of the beds. 400 feet of that stuff. I loaded it into the truck to take to the dump. It was glorious though to be out in the springlike weather digging in the dirt.
Well, then I bought this product from roundup that you sprinkle on the ground and it is suppose to kill all the weeds and grass but not affect the bulbs or plants. Suppose to last 6 months. If it works it would be a miracle. If it kills everything, I'll just have to replant. ha ha. I dug up about 30 big hosta plant roots. I'm going to give them to the neighbor. I have more than 3000 of those plants and they really need thinning. By the time they come up, they are just too heavy for me to dig.
Then, I went to the sewing room because I was too worn out to continue in the yard. I got some FMQ done on more of those Shriners Quilts. They are moving pretty fast. I think I am up to 12 done now and 2 to bind. I think I have 5 sandwiched and ready to quilt.
Weather person said we will have light misty rain today. Its 50 right now and so we'll see. I can't plan things with rain. I probably should clean house....

SuzanneOrleansOntario
February 19th, 2018, 11:21 AM
Wow. Everyone here is busy, busy and active. No dust bunnies collecting at your feet. Of course, I vaccumed yesterday, so I hope I got all or most of the cat hairs hiding in the corners.

I made baked beans yesterday and they were good as usual, but quite a bit darker than usual. I may have overdone the molasses. I also cooked a turkey breast wrapped in bacon. Perfect with briche buns, so my girlfriend joined us for dinner. I always give her a take home of beans. I made another 8 blocks on her quilt, so I got her to help me position them on the design wall. She is getting excited. Me not so much, as I know there are 8 seams per block to line up on the bias when it will come together.

I also pieced all the 1" borders on the 2 1/2" and 8 1/2" blocks for the skyline quilt. I also pieced 2 blocks which will end up at 12 1/2". This one will be for my son.

It is a slow morning for me, stiff and sore til I get cracking, and have at least 2 cups of coffee. It is Family a Day here, so most people except federal public servants are off today.
Enjoy your day, weather is expected to be warm but not enough to melt the 8' high mound of ice the city crews left at our driveway. I will try to reach them, as we cannot see to back up, and cars do not slow down around the corner.

CraftyJnet
February 19th, 2018, 01:37 PM
Good morning! Yesterday I finished DD's St. Patrick Day curtains for her classroom. I made two grocery bags with the leftover fabric. Today I think I'll make some piggy potholders to go with the chicken potholders I made last week. The weather is wonderfully sunny but very windy, too windy to go for a walk. I hope you all have a wonderful day!

Nwmnteacher
February 19th, 2018, 02:05 PM
Good morning.

I'm late today. I got stuck on the laptop watching videos of rug weaving. I have a Union 36 loom, and I used to weave and sell rugs, but haven't in several years. That was before I started quilting. The loom (in my bedroom) got covered with clothes and other misc. Yesterday I spent a couple of hours going through things in the bedroom and uncovered the loom. I think I'm starting to get the weaving bug again! How am I going to have enough time to weave and quilt??? Could be trouble.

I did some sewing on a Secret Santa gift yesterday, then finished the day reading. I finally finished the last book in the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Don't know that I was happy with the ending. But I have to say, Stephen King has an amazing imagination!

Today I have to go to our business and start collecting tax information. Business taxes have to be filed by March 15. Blah! I don't like this time of the year. DH has most of his share of the work done, but I'm always the procrastinator. When I get home, I'll work on the SS project again, and maybe do some more "digging" in the bedroom. While cleaning out the bookcase in there, I found another idea to use for SS group, so definitely a bonus.

I better get moving along since I spent way too much time on the computer.
Jeanne

Carolnnc
February 19th, 2018, 02:14 PM
Good morning to all. I've been up since 5:45 & being a night owl this means I am working on half a brain. This feeling reminds me of my 20's when I went through two nasty hangovers before I decided alcohol wasn't for me:-)

There are two things a 63 yr. old woman & 64 yr. old man don't need: an infant or a puppy. We love our new puppy Ryker but boy is this hard! My sleep schedule had to be adjusted to puppy potty time. Constantly being on guard for chewing on our things. And the 15 minute, three times a day teaching of good manners. Whew. Luckily he is very smart & catches on quickly. He hated going out in the rain this morning so the third time I grabbed the leash & said bathroom he looked at me & walked into his crate. We absolutely love this little fellow to death & wouldn't give him back but it will be wonderful when his little bladder can make it eight hours so I can get more sleep.

I have a three foot streak of wall to paint which will finish the last bedroom. I will dance with joy. I can finally get the things out of my quilt cave & work on a quilt. DH had been ignoring me for weeks when I asked that the freezer be moved to the kitchen so I could finish up. I finally sat him down & explained the consequences if he didn't move the freezer on Saturday. The thought of no home cooked meals for a month lite a fire under him.

It feels like a good time for a short nap!

Have a great day everyone.

Navy Wife
February 19th, 2018, 05:37 PM
It has been a pretty good day, for a Monday! The cat woke me up at 7. She was nose to nose with me, and snoring. Now I have a chorus!

I went to the gym after I had my coffee. First time since surgery nearly 6 months ago. I did pretty good, but really need to be up and about more. I barely walked 2 miles on the treadmill, and was too pooped to do anything else! Baby steps, girl, baby steps!

Worked on quilts all last week. I finished one more UFO, and finished binding one. Laid out a signature quilt from a retreat in 2012. I'll get it together this week, and have one more nearly finished. My quilter sent back the last 3 I sent, so I have 3 to bind. I don't know how I got so far behind. But tomorrow is a shopping day in Knoxville. I haven't been there for a while, and have a list of things I can't find here. It is supposed to be sunny and 76!

JCY
February 19th, 2018, 06:04 PM
I'm back. It feels good to sit down! I spent the morning in the kitchen, most of it on my feet. The chicken soup made 12 qts., which now are stored in the freezer. Ahh, a good day's work done. Now that DH eats most of a qt. in 2 days, I'm making soup more often than I used to. But at least he's eating better; he's gained 5 lb. since Dec. I wish that meant he feels better, but it hasn't made a difference. How good can you feel when you weigh only 103 lb. & you're 6 ft. tall?!

It's still snowing! Just flurries at times. They're saying a possible 4-8" overnight into tomorrow. I won't complain because we need the moisture. The mts. need the snowpack for our summer's water supply. Our snow angel from church came this a.m. & cleared our snow. What a blessing he is!

I talked myself out of the DD yest. I checked it a couple times; it still was available. But when I thought about my stash, I decided to be a good girl & not buy any more fabric. At least for now.

Yest. I reviewed Jenny's "Crossroads Quilt" tutorial. I'm thinking I have enough scraps to do this one. I have quite a few batik scraps that I could use for the 2.5" squares to use in the 4-P. However, I'm certainly not going to sew all those small squares together. I would line them up on a 2.5" long strip of background fabric. Not sure if I'd want to use a white JR or if I might use a white batik or grunge fabric. I'll check my storage drawer of white fabric to see what I have on hand. I have lots of charms on hand. I'm already visualizing a new quilt!! I just might have to make a sample block to see how it looks. Oh, I have so many quilting irons in the fire! I'm never content to just see one project through to the end. I have 2 or 3 projects going at the same time. At least I don't get bored. And we won't talk about those UFOs hanging in the closet waiting to be sandwiched & quilted. I tell myself I should do at least 1 UFO before starting a new project, but....

I've been watching the Olympics almost every night. Not all of the events are of interest, but I like the snowboarding events (can you believe the air & tricks they do?!). I really like the figure skating. The ice dancing last night was so good. Now the skeleton is just crazy! Going down that ice chute head first at those speeds. A good way to get killed.

Well, I'm ready to fix a cup of coffee & hit the recliner for a while. I'll get back to sewing later this afternoon.