PDA

View Full Version : Sunday - Sunday!

JCY
February 18th, 2018, 10:06 AM
Good Morning ~ We are supposed to have temps. in the upper 60's today. It was 62 yest. Nice. However....snow & cold are coming Mon. & Tues. It will be church this a.m., then a stop at the groc. store on the way home to get chicken & a few things. It's time again to make DH's chicken soup.

Yest. I finished sewing the burp cloths. Today I'll get back to the FMQ & hope to finish up this latest quilt.

I learned Fri. that the Gaithers are coming to Denver in April for a concert. I plan to go. Group tickets (for 10 or more) are only $22.; one of the gals from church has ordered them. The concert is at Denver First Church of the Nazarene, so seating will be limited.

I'm tempted by today's DD; I have some of the other Summer Breeze fabrics in my stash.

Time to fix DH's breakfast & get on with my day.

Ginny B
February 18th, 2018, 10:25 AM
Good morning Joy. Our weather is opposite from yours. We had snow last night and we are going to be in the 60's by mid-week.

We ran our errands yesterday so today I get to stay home and spend time in my sewing room. I will work on finishing up 4 tablerunners for an order (this one lady always orders 4 of everything..1 for herself and the other 3 for her daughters), maybe get some flannel cut for burp cloths and receiving blankets I need to make and I want to put together a few practice quilt sandwiches for Angela Walters FMQ challenge. I will be making chicken cacciatore for dinner.

Time to get the day moving along. Have a good day everyone

grammaterry
February 18th, 2018, 10:48 AM
Joy, I too am tempted by todays DD but when I add shipping to it....hummm
The concert will be wonderful. And its a great deal too.
We are suppose to get to the 60 mark today and right now the sky isn't very overcast so maybe no rain. This week the weather will be warmer than it has been.
Went to DS's town yesterday and met them in Landrum. Gave DGD the little Janome and some fabric blocks. I went to their local library and asked for a room to help her get started. They were very accommodating to us and I taught her how to thread the machine and watched her sew together two blocks of four. She was very cautious but then said, " I guess I will have something to do this weekend" She wondered what she would do on Presidents day with school being out.
DS has a very exaggerated limp from the broken hip. He stopped the pain meds and is just taking ibuprophen . Said he thinks he will be able t go back to work in May. Still 10 weeks away.
Another GD is a birthday girl today. 15. Wow, time flys.
Stopped at Sams Club on my way home last night and picked up one of those rotisserie chickens for $5. When I got here, DH was making grilled cheese and bacon sandwiches so I put it in the fridge. I'll figure how to reheat it and we'll eat it tonight. So, dinner is planned.

Sandy Navas
February 18th, 2018, 11:23 AM
Oh, Ginny - I had to laugh at your customer ordering 4 of everything. And here's why. A couple years ago there was a very large ad in the local paper. Seems a family was holding a giant fabric sale. Their mother had passed away and they were disposing of her stash - and more. They had to rent a whole showroom and be there most nights and over the weekend for several weeks. She had FOUR KIDS. So, in addition to her fabric which would have filled a small garage if boxed and packed in tightly (and I am NOT exaggerating), she had all kinds of decorative items, holiday decor, nick-knacks, you name it. And every single time she bought something for herself she bought something for each of the kids. And she stored these things. Behind the showroom where they had the fabric there was a warehouse space and they had shelving set up with walkways in between row after row after row. And they were loaded floor to ceiling - I kid you not.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
February 18th, 2018, 11:45 AM
Good morning ladies.
OMG Sandy, that is so funny yet sad. I think the kids would have appreciated those items while she was alive, and them probably younger.

I am helping a lady in our charity group sort through her friend's collection of fabrics, wool, and other hobby stuff. It was all well organized and labelled. The husband has been trying to clear the basement since she passed 7 years ago, but needs help. I got my friend a table at a local fabric sale event and showed her how to package to sell the most. I will also show her how to sell on-line. She had gorgeous fabrics and I could be tempted by many, but will wait for now. She went too soon, so this makes me think a lot about buying what I can sew up in a few years.

I have been passing along a lot of items to members of a group I belong to. It is called Buy Nothing (name of community). You post what you want to give and pick person to receive, and you can say what you might be looking for. It can be goods, or gift of service. No money exchange, but a great way to meet neighbours. Also I am believer in recycling and reusing. What doesn't go, I drop off to VV. Picked up water shoes for grand-daughter yesterday and gave away 2 pairs of short winter boots.

I also sewed about 60 more small blocks for skyline quilt, while DH made 5 labels on his embroidery machine for quilts I had finished recently. He is so generous with his time or maybe he was just looking to play with the new software.

I made shrimp pad Thai for dinner. Fast, and DH voted Yes to this for quick sewing day meals. Today I will make baked beans and porches ta for dinner. My friend will be coming to dinner, so I will make a few more blocks for her quilt (3 dudes).

It will be warmer this week, so snow will melt but it's not over for us, it will get cold again and more snow before the end of March.
Have a good day. It is Family Day in Ontario, so stores are closed. If we really need something, it's a short drive over the bridge to Quebec where it's not a holiday.

Anitamae56
February 18th, 2018, 11:48 AM
Oh, Ginny - I had to laugh at your customer ordering 4 of everything. And here's why. A couple years ago there was a very large ad in the local paper. Seems a family was holding a giant fabric sale. Their mother had passed away and they were disposing of her stash - and more. They had to rent a whole showroom and be there most nights and over the weekend for several weeks. She had FOUR KIDS. So, in addition to her fabric which would have filled a small garage if boxed and packed in tightly (and I am NOT exaggerating), she had all kinds of decorative items, holiday decor, nick-knacks, you name it. And every single time she bought something for herself she bought something for each of the kids. And she stored these things. Behind the showroom where they had the fabric there was a warehouse space and they had shelving set up with walkways in between row after row after row. And they were loaded floor to ceiling - I kid you not.

I also went to that sale , oh my gosh, it was overwhelming, to me. It was unbelievable. Even in the back room where dishes and decorations were 4 of almost everything. I couldn't help but wonder did all her kids know she was doing that. And how much money the lady had spent .
It was overwhelming I didn't buy anything it was to much to take in at one time.
Did you buy anything. ? I thought there were some people just buying to be buying.( like the lady)

Ginny B
February 18th, 2018, 01:26 PM
Oh my goodness Sandy! I sure hope my customer is actually giving these to her daughters. I think she is because she came to me with an order from her son in law for 2 tablerunners for his mom's table.

That must have been super overload to go to that sale.

Navy Wife
February 18th, 2018, 02:19 PM
At least I found someone with more fabric and stuff than me! Mine would probably fill one wall of a garage up to 5 feet or so. Wait till I tell DH!

CraftyJnet
February 18th, 2018, 03:03 PM
Good morning all! Today I will be sewing curtains for DD's classroom bookcases. She likes to change the curtains for each holiday so today I have shamrock fabric to sew. The kids really get a kick out of guessing what will be next. DH is changing the lightbulbs in DD's car's headlights. After that we have to go to the grocery store. Then we'll get to take it easy. Hope all of you have a wonderful Sunday!

KPH
February 18th, 2018, 03:16 PM
Good Afternoon All,

DIL picked me up this morning for church. DS#1 called at 7:15, I was out cold! He could tell that he'd woke me up. I was still ready by 7:39. I kicked it in gear!

Services were nice this morning. The pastor wrote one of the songs we sang. I miss having the notes in front of me! I told him he was a talented poet. The music director wrote the music. DS#1 joined the Praise Band and played his banjo today.

DS#2 goes into work at 3 and will be off at 8, so we're planning to have tuna steaks for a later dinner. I fixed one of the Low Country Boils that Walmart carries in the frozen section for our lunch.

I'm going to work in my bedroom today. The Vets group is coming Thursday to pick up. I kind of wanted the kids to go through the clothes in DH's closet. Apparently I wasn't clear enough with what I wanted them to do. Everything else came out of the closet... the rifles, my BB gun (which my oldest tried to take), all the archery fixing stuff, scout stuff, the jigsaw puzzles, small picture printer, in other words, my bedroom is still a mess and I still had to get all the clothes out and put into bags for pick up. I knew nothing would fit either of them, but if they wanted any of it, I wanted them to have it. I'm left with one of DH's NAPA coat, and a shirt that he had some of his Scout patches sewn on. Now they want to frame it... I'm like whose going to hang it and where? Not me! I didn't like it to start with!

I hope everyone has a wonderful afternoon.

Prayers for those in need, for comfort, peace, understanding, and healing. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many, many blessings.

Sandy Navas
February 18th, 2018, 03:41 PM
Anita - I did buy a few pieces of fabric at that sale $1 a yard. I've used a lot of it - picked up primarily kid's prints as I do so many smaller quilts for kids' charities. The rest of it was totally mind-boggling!

JCY
February 18th, 2018, 05:17 PM
Sunday afternoon ~ I see the DD still is available. I'm still contemplating. If I buy 2 charms packs, + shipping, I'd be out $17. I'll wait a while longer. It's not like I don't have enough fabric already.

Well, eat your heart out! The temp. got up to 77 deg.!!! So nice outside. I rinsed out the bird water dish & refilled it. The rabbit was sitting just outside the back garage door when I went out. Hey, my early crocuses are up!!! And the early small iris are poking up through the soil. Oh, spring will be here one of these days. But not for the next several days. The big chill is coming, with freezing drizzle, then snow. Temps. are to be down into the teens with wind chill in the single digits, or even below zero. Brrr. The groc. store was busy today. People tend to flock to the store prior to any expected snow.

I'll be busy tomorrow on President's Day making chicken soup.

Anitamae56
February 18th, 2018, 06:49 PM
Anita - I did buy a few pieces of fabric at that sale $1 a yard. I've used a lot of it - picked up primarily kid's prints as I do so many smaller quilts for kids' charities. The rest of it was totally mind-boggling!

That is great!! I just couldn't think when I was there, also there 2 men buying material they were very loud , one was up at the buying place and the other back by me looking and hollering at the other guy about what he was finding. I couldn't look for looking at what he was telling the guy at the counter. In a way was kind of funny, I lost all my concertation and because I was looking at everything he was talking about . I should have looked for 4 pairs of ear plugs!!:)

jjkaiser
February 18th, 2018, 07:29 PM
Sunday afternoon ~ I see the DD still is available. I'm still contemplating. If I buy 2 charms packs, + shipping, I'd be out $17. I'll wait a while longer. It's not like I don't have enough fabric already.

Well, eat your heart out! The temp. got up to 77 deg.!!! So nice outside. I rinsed out the bird water dish & refilled it. The rabbit was sitting just outside the back garage door when I went out. Hey, my early crocuses are up!!! And the early small iris are poking up through the soil. Oh, spring will be here one of these days. But not for the next several days. The big chill is coming, with freezing drizzle, then snow. Temps. are to be down into the teens with wind chill in the single digits, or even below zero. Brrr. The groc. store was busy today. People tend to flock to the store prior to any expected snow.

I'll be busy tomorrow on President's Day making chicken soup.

Hey your guest room ready, I am coming!! Not really, just kidding. But 77 degrees wow I could sure get into that!!

Cokie
February 18th, 2018, 07:56 PM
I checked out the DD this morning and decided to wait. Then a little bit ago, I saw that it was still available, and I gave in. I love all of the Summer Breeze lines and I think this is my favorite. I also got a couple yards to go along with it for a border on whatever I decide to do with it. I used part of a gift certificate and quilter's cash so no damage to my checking account. :lol: Been a lazy day here. I did something to my knee last week and walking has been painful. Trying to stay off of it as much as I can and see if it gets better. If not, I guess I'll be seeing my ortho doctor this week. Need to decide what to do about supper and get things ready for work this week. Hope you all have a good week.