PDA

View Full Version : Looking for hot cross bun recipe

Iris Girl
February 18th, 2018, 08:20 AM
In my family we love entenmanns hot cross buns. We eat a lot this time of year. I have been asked to try and make my own. Does anyone have a good sweet bun rescipe?. Would live to get my hands on entenmanns recipe. The candied fruits are not the issue it seems to ve the dough. Thanks all.

Hulamoon
February 18th, 2018, 11:03 AM
I used to make them at the hotel. The chef we had at the time (lot's of turnover in the chef world) would make me use his recipe and no one liked them because of the cardamom. I found this one that sounds good that's from the King Arthur. flour company.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/easy-hot-cross-buns-recipe

I would think they would be a good expert. hehe

Iris Girl
February 18th, 2018, 11:21 AM
Thank you Lorie. I figured you would be the one to answer, and this looks great!

cv quilter
February 18th, 2018, 11:49 AM
Iris, thanks for asking this question and Lorie, thanks for this delicious sounding recipe. I printed and now have to buy the candied fruit, etc.

bhaggerty
February 18th, 2018, 01:11 PM
Love that you started this thread! We love them too!!

MSN
February 18th, 2018, 04:06 PM
I used to make them at the hotel. The chef we had at the time (lot's of turnover in the chef world) would make me use his recipe and no one liked them because of the cardamom.

I have Scandinavian roots. At Christmastime, we would make yulekage, which is a sweet yeast bread with candied fruit. Very similar to hot cross buns; just a different shape. Perhaps it's because I grew up with it, but I never objected to the cardamom.

Hulamoon
February 18th, 2018, 05:20 PM
I guess it was a flavor people here weren't used to. Every one would steal off my baking racks (like I didn't see them lol) and would give me their opinions. Coconut macaroons was everyone's favorite. So I agree it has to a lot of what you grew up with. When I moved here everyone raved about poi. They gave it to kids in baby bottles. I'll eat it at a party, but I don't go out to buy it.

Patty J
February 18th, 2018, 05:27 PM
Poi must be an acquired taste--I tried it while in Hawaii and just couldn't get it swallowed. Good thing I had a paper napkin with me. LOL

Hulamoon
February 18th, 2018, 05:44 PM
There is a couple of tricks if you ever get the chance again. Put some soy sauce or sugar or Lomi Lomi (the tomato salmon salad)on it. Either way your flavoring wall paper paste. :lol:

Vonnie
February 19th, 2018, 09:14 AM
Do you measure flour before or after it's sifted?

Midge
February 19th, 2018, 12:25 PM
April thanks for posing this question! It is the question I didn’t know I needed answered! There used to be a great bakery in town that made what I think were the world’s best hot cross buns. I couldn’t get enough of them. Even though it seemed to defeat the purpose of Lent to be enjoying something so much, if you know what I mean. Anyway, the family died out and even though others have tried to reproduce some of their recipes, it’s just not the same. I never thought to try the King Arthur website. I have to try this! Does anyone remember the somewhat dense hot cross buns of the past (not like the Entenmann’s style) had a little rye flour in them? Or is this a faulty memory I have? I don’t make rye bread, so I would have to buy that special in addition to the fruit.

Midge
February 19th, 2018, 12:29 PM

I don’t worry about that any more. Since I took up bread baking I use a scale and weigh the ingredients. Much more reliable results that way. You can find scales very inexpensively and using one often means fewer dirty bowls.

Hulamoon
February 19th, 2018, 02:41 PM
Midge is right. If you do a lot of baking a scale is the way to go. I was baking cakes at home and have a professional one. Now I use it for shipping. lol

Vonnie
February 19th, 2018, 05:21 PM
Thanks Ladies! Just proves you are never too old to learn something new!