PDA

View Full Version : We have a diagnosis

BethB
February 18th, 2018, 12:20 AM
We finally have a diagnosis. I called the oncologist's office Wed. afternoon because we hadn't heard anything since the biopsy the Thursday, the 8th, before. He told us to come into the office the next day at 10:45. The news was actually better than we thought. Hubby has Diffuse large B-cell non-Hodgkins lymphoma. The doctor said it is potentially curable. He just needed a couple of more tests and have a medical-port installed. So Friday, we went back to the hospital and he had the medical-port installed. They also removed more fluid --- 700 mL from around the right lung (1500 mL the removed the day of the biopsy the Thursday before), 900 mL removed from around the left lung (did not have any fluid there on biopsy day) and 3400 mL from the abdomen (3000 mL removed on biopsy day). Crazy that there is all this fluid accumulating in him. And he has lost probably 20 lbs and is so thin (he's close to 160 lbs. now). Wish I could give him my extra. He just has no appetite. Tuesday he is scheduled for a bone marrow test to make sure the lymphoma is not in his bone marrow and Wednesday he is getting an echocardiogram to make sure his heart will be able to withstand the chemo. Oh, that is the treatment. He will be undergoing 6 rounds of chemo total, each one 3 weeks apart. As soon as these test results come in, they will start the chemo. Not looking forward to this. I feel so sorry for him, he is so uncomfortable. Hopefully, there will be brighter days ahead.

Thanks for listening

Nancy

snippet
February 18th, 2018, 12:35 AM
Y'all do have a long road ahead of you but hopefully this diagnosis makes it less scary. Take care of the both of you and be strong and hopeful.

MaryD
February 18th, 2018, 12:37 AM
I was diagnosed with DLBC non-Hodgkins lymphoma in 2009. It was described to me as being quite aggressive which apparently makes it respond very well with chemotherapy. The chemo is quite severe. But I'm still here, reasonably hale and hearty, with no recurrence (touch wood)

I hope your husband has a similar outcome.

KPH
February 18th, 2018, 12:57 AM
Will continue to lift your family in prayer.

Judy, USMC
February 18th, 2018, 01:52 AM
Whew - now you have a bit of breathing room. Diagnosis and treatment plan makes things somewhat less scarier. Hope the rest of the tests go well. My heart goes out to him and you as this new path in life starts.

bubba
February 18th, 2018, 02:56 AM
Nancy, I know what you are going thru, believe me, I do. MM had chemo from the beginning of September to the third week of December, once a week for three weeks, then one week off. He went thru it with flying colors. All it did was make him tired, very tired. During that time, he continued to work and never missed a day.

Then there was me. I could smell the chemicals leaving his body thru his pores. I could smell it in the bed. I could smell it in his clothes. It made me sick, like I was the one having chemo treatments. Once he started sleeping in another room, keeping his laundry separate in a covered container and using a separate bathroom from me, it got easier. I probably took as much of his chemo drugs as he did.

You may want to start precautions from the start so you don't go thru all that, in case it also bothers you like it did me.

I'm hoping you will be pleasantly surprised with how he reacts to his treatment. You will both me in my thoughts.

GaGa
February 18th, 2018, 03:56 AM
Continued prayers as you make your way through this difficult time.

KarenC
February 18th, 2018, 07:03 AM
This prognosis does sound a bit less scary than the alternative. Positive thoughts and prayers coming your way to rid his body of these troubles and give you strength to take care of him.

Monique
February 18th, 2018, 07:41 AM
Continued prayers as you both go through this journey.

Bubby
February 18th, 2018, 09:08 AM
Praying for you both as you navigate the treatment path. I have been there and I found that one day at a time was the preferred course for us. Hugs and continued prayers...

seaturtle
February 18th, 2018, 09:28 AM
Nancy, I'm glad you have a diagnosis and treatment plan laid out. Sometimes, just having a name can help. Take things one day at a time and remember to take care of yourself, also. Continued prayers as you go through this journey.

JCY
February 18th, 2018, 09:57 AM
Thoughts & prayers going your way. One day at a time.

Sandy Navas
February 18th, 2018, 10:01 AM
We're all pulling for him - and you, too! Continued prayers.

Tracie T
February 18th, 2018, 10:03 AM
Prayers for both of you.

Anitamae56
February 18th, 2018, 10:40 AM
I sincerely am thinking of you and your husband as you go thru this. Like others I have been there with my husband. I am praying for you both and sending you much strength as you both go this.

Connie Jo
February 18th, 2018, 11:03 AM
I'm glad that your news was a little better. Prayer for him and the rest of you as you go through the difficult days ahead, hugs

MSN
February 18th, 2018, 04:00 PM
With all that extra fluid crowding his lungs and his belly, no wonder he is uncomfortable. When you add up the amount of fluid removed on biopsy day plus on Friday, they removed nearly 21 pounds of fluid! I bet his breathing improved when the fluid was removed.

No one looks forward to chemo, but it is very effective against this type of lymphoma. I am confident that both you and DH will get through this. Keep us updated when you can, and remember that you have a lot of folks here on the forum pulling for you.

MissMay
February 18th, 2018, 09:37 PM
Keeping the Good Thoughts coming your way.

jjkaiser
February 18th, 2018, 10:10 PM
Same diagnosis as my husband, he is on chemo maintenance now and doing great! Keep the faith! Cancer drugs can be very effective!

Star lover
February 19th, 2018, 08:05 AM
So thankful for y'all that you finally have a diagnosis.......now you have something to deal with. I'll continue praying. Thanks so much for taking the time to update us. Hugs!