PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom for today

SallyO'Sews
February 15th, 2018, 04:23 PM
My DD the Kindergarten teacher just posted this on FB. I thought it share-worthy.

Sitting here watching these precious little ones enjoying their indoor recess playtime, and thinking about how incredibly important it is to their development as human beings to be able to play, with real toys, with real peers, and express real feelings in a safe place.

These two beautiful little girls just had a casual, friendly conversation about families, loss, and heritage, all while playing with horses (with cardboard bricks as their "stable"):

A: "I don't have a grandpa. He died."
E: "He did? That's sad. I have a gwandpa who I don't see very much eeever, because he lives in a huwwicane in Purrico."
A: "My dad's dad was named Alvin."
E: "Oh, like Alvin and the Chickmunks?!"
A: *laughter* "Yeah! Like AAAAALLLLLLVVIIIIIINNNNN!!!!"
*both laughing*
A: "That's where my little brother got his name!"
E: "Oh, that's so cool!"
E: *holds up two horses, one lying across the other's back* "Miss M., we're playin' family; this one is the gwandpa -- he's helpin him, 'cause the gwandpa can't weally walk." *sage nod*

This might seem insignificant to some, but, as I look at the state of our nation, and the trauma, anxiety, fear, and violence that our kids are increasingly experiencing AND perpetrating on a daily basis, I can't help but wonder if this parallels a failure to provide safe, normal, tech-free spaces for our children. Places where they build and create, instead of being entertained. Places where they listen and talk to each other, sharing their feelings and expressing compassion. Places where there is pure enjoyment, without forced, crude, immature humor. Places where they find both structure and freedom. Places where an adult is ready and willing to both correct them and protect them. Places where discipline and accountability are readily expected, but without inordinate fear. Places where they learn that kindness should be normal.

Let them play. Let them learn HOW to be human -- to have empathy. Maybe that's where we can start to rebuild a generation of lost, broken children.

Star lover
February 15th, 2018, 04:25 PM
Wow, this touched my heart.....as they say.....out of the mouths of babes. Your DD is a very wise teacher.

KPH
February 15th, 2018, 04:30 PM
The child is the hope of mankind.

Caroline T.
February 15th, 2018, 04:47 PM
Tuesday night I attended a choir concert at a local high school, one of the songs they performed was "It takes a Village" by Joan Szymko. The lyrics are very simple, but the message is very strong:

"It takes a whole village to raise our children
It takes a whole village to raise one child
We all everyone must share the burden
We all everyone will share the joy"

I'm grateful to those such as your DD who share the burden and joy of being a part of any "village".

I wish I had recorded our High School chorus singing this beautiful song, but I did find a video that I feel they must have followed very closely....enjoy.

http://joanszymko.com/works/ind/it-takes-village

Star lover
February 15th, 2018, 04:52 PM
Caroline......beautiful! Thank you.

Caroline T.
February 15th, 2018, 05:13 PM
Caroline......beautiful! Thank you.

After watching that video, now image the lyrics coming from over 100 young voices....
It was like they were asking us, the adults, "take an interest in our lives, pay attention, protect us, guide us, and love us". It brought tears to my eyes to hear them sing.

Star lover
February 15th, 2018, 05:15 PM
Thinking of all those children brought tears to my eyes too, along with a lump in my throat.

grammaterry
February 15th, 2018, 08:01 PM
I'm glad to hear that there are still some teachers letting kids be kids and use their imagination

pcbatiks
February 15th, 2018, 11:12 PM
Amen to that.

Cokie
February 15th, 2018, 11:49 PM
Your daughter is very wise, and her students are very blessed to have her as a teacher. Thank you for sharing this.