PDA

View Full Version : A Quilter's Bucket List: Achieving Your Dreams & Aspirations

JCY
February 14th, 2018, 05:33 PM
This was the title of the presentation last eve. by Teresa Davis Pusztai at our guild mtg. She shared her quilting stories & gave a trunk show. She is a LAer. I gleaned some of her quotes.

- Creativity is inventing - experimenting - growing - taking risks - breaking rules - making mistakes - having fun.

- FAIL = F (first ) A (attempt) I (in) L (learning).

- Be stubborn about your goals & be flexible about your methods.

- Don't wait for anything. (In other words, don't delay doing things you want to do or with loved ones. Her mom died at a young age.)

- There are 7 days in a week. "Someday" isn't one of them.

- Invest in yourself. Don't wait to buy that new machine or needed items for your craft.

- If you're going to do a lot of work on a quilt, invest in good fabric; don't use just scraps.

- Take risks. If you win you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wise. (iliketoquote.com)

- If you want to reach your goals you must reduce your BUT...

- She showed a cute cartoon of a group of "Quilters Anonymous" sitting around in a circle. One says, "Hello, my name is Alice and I haven't bought fabric for 6 days." Ha ha -- I'm sure no one here identifies with this group!

I guess the general thoughts that came across to me were in essence, Go for it! Don't be afraid to try new things, enter a quilt in a competition, even if it's just your county fair or guild's show. As your budget allows, don't scrimp on tools & fabric, but make good quality projects. She suggested going to the judging of quilts at your local co. fair so you can learn what judges are looking for. Believe in yourself. Enjoy the journey.

Star lover
February 14th, 2018, 05:42 PM
Thank you Joy. Some really good take-aways! I just need to keep repeating them to myself.

KarenC
February 14th, 2018, 05:54 PM
Thanks, I'm working on the bravery to enter a quilt in my guild's show.

Kgrammiecaz
February 14th, 2018, 06:04 PM
Awesome quotes and they are so very true. Thank you for sharing. Going to print and put in my quilting calendar

TMP
February 14th, 2018, 06:22 PM
My DH was so supportive of my quilting addiction. He would tell me if your going to spend your time making something don't use cheap fabrics. Odd coming from a man who saved and tried to use every scrap of lumber. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Monique
February 14th, 2018, 06:33 PM
So very true words.

grammaterry
February 14th, 2018, 08:52 PM
Yes, no scrimping on cheap fabric. in the 80's I didn't even know there was a difference in fabrics. I liked rayon because it was so soft. Then when I began quilting I was cheaping out on my fabric . DD bought me a gift cert to M* and the rest is history. THis week while piecing together leftover block s and pieces I could really see a difference in the fabrics and how they reacted to the sewing machine.