PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday, Happy Valentine's Day

Monique
February 14th, 2018, 09:04 AM

Happy Valentine's Day everyone. Nothing special happening here today for Valentine's. Les is working tonight. I made a special supper last night and it was delicious. I did have to stop at a few grocery stores to find all the right ingredients but it was super easy to make. Here is the recipe: One pot linguine with bacon and shrimp https://www.cookwithcampbells.ca/recipe/one-pot-linguine-bacon-shrimp/?utm_source=MealMail_2B_2018&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EN_MealMail_Valentine_F18&utm_content=Recipe

I did have to google how much 6 oz of linguine is. But there was just enough for the two of us.

Nothing spectacular happened at guild yesterday. I also got the chance to stop at sister-in-law's and get a box full of cups and saucers for Maizyn's tea party. These cups belonged to Les' grandmother. Not sure how many I will keep.

Today the temperatures are to be in the +'s so I am going to get up on the back roof and get some snow off of there. We are expecting rain tomorrow and the last thing we need is the roof to cave in. Wish me luck. I may end up stiff and sore. And hopefully I can get the memory quilt sandwiched this afternoon, if not it will wait until tomorrow. Les is still on the fence about going to the camp. I wish he would just go and be done. I am just as happy sitting in my sewing room.

Have an awesome day, no matter what you chose to do.

Ginny B
February 14th, 2018, 09:13 AM
Good morning Monique and all to follow. Happy Valentine's Day everyone. No big plans for today. We will have a nice dinner at home. We used to go out on Valentine's Day but it's just too crowded and not relaxing. We will go out a different evening and enjoy it more. Monique, oh my gosh, be careful going up on that roof!

Have a good day everyone.

Star lover
February 14th, 2018, 09:17 AM
Happy Valentines Day Monique and everyone!

We too don't do anything special on Valentine's Day. DH took me out for dinner Monday. Much better, no crowds, no Pressure! And it was fantastic, with leftovers for lunch.

Monique, be careful up there on the roof....oooo, scary! I'm terrified of heights. Something I picked up from my dad. I've never flown, cause of this silly fear. But I'm OK and DH loves to drives....so all's good. But wow, the roof. I'm gonna be holding my breathe till I hear from you....I'll pray!

Well I pin basted the other donation quilt.....and today I'm going to unpin baste it? I flipped it over and I'm not so sure I like what I see. Not bad......mmmmm, just not happy with it. Figure it's better to start over than to go nuts later!

We are to get into the 40's today! I can hardly believe it! Not so much sun, but 40!!!!!! I think I smell spring.....it's a gonna happen....sometime!

Hope everyone has a wonderful day. Love and hugs!

Bubby
February 14th, 2018, 09:48 AM

Happy Valentine's Day everyone. Jeff went all out with flowers, chocolates and cards this year. We have both of our birthdays, Valentine's Day and our anniversary in a 2-week period, so this time of the year is filled with blessings. I even got a special card from Dottie this year.

Our weather is supposed to be warm today so I will make the drive to Houston to get another supply of meds for Dottie and pick up a few things at WalMart.

Monique, I've become a fan of curling. I love the enthusiasm of the team from Canada.

I'm off to begin a new project that I hope won't become a UFO.

Wishing you all a beautiful day...Hugs.......

JCY
February 14th, 2018, 10:11 AM
Happy Valentine's Day! ~ With DH's health the way it is, we don't do anything special other than exchange cards. I didn't have any VD cards in my stash, so he made up his own using a blank card. It's the sentiment that counts.

Guild last night was good. The gal who spoke (one of our members) told about her quilting experiences & personal stories. She has entered quilts in competition not only locally & state, but also at the national level. She had some useful tips & sayings & had a trunk show of her quilts. Not all were quilts she made, but all were ones she quilted. She has a LA business. She mentioned a thread I'd never heard of before: Microquilter thread from Superior. It's 100 wt. thread which she uses a lot for SITD work. Very thin! At the break, we had cake; it is the guild's 12th anniversary. During the break a lady came up to me & introduced herself. It turns out she is the oldest dau. of the fam. that used to live next door years ago. I never would have recognized her! It must be at least 35 yrs. since I've seen her. She now has a LA business & has been in the guild 3 yrs. It was interesting to catch up on family news. I was home by 9 p.m. & had 1 hr. to watch some of the figure skating & empty the dishwasher.

This morning is Bible Study Fellowship; we go early for a fellowship time before the group discussion of the lesson begins. Afterwards, I need to shop for a new hand egg beater. Our old one finally broke the other day. DH had it when we got married, & we've been married 42 yrs., so it probably was an antique! I used it every morning to scramble his eggs. A fork or whisk just doesn't cut it for me. Our Ace Hardware has a large kitchen section. I'll look there.

It's already 50 deg. this morning. It got up to 62 yest. & is supposed to be in the 60's today, but with high winds. Wind gusts to 50 mph.

KPH
February 14th, 2018, 10:14 AM
Good Morning All,

Monique, please be careful! I'm with Anita on this one. You won't catch me up on the roof. I'll gladly pay the A1A folks to come and wash my solar panels after the heavy pollen season every year. That was one of the things I asked about, Jim and Mike may have other ideas, but I'm not thrilled about them going up there to do it either.

Howard didn't believe in Valentine's, so it wasn't a big deal. On the way home last night we stopped at Hobby Lobby, I picked up some little heart ornaments and hung them on the two chandeliers. Then stopped at 2nd and Charles and picked up three Valentine's books for the grandkids, got three Easter books while I was there for them as well.

I filed all the monthly bill stuff last night since they've all been transferred to my name and I don't have an 'estate' to probate (I still can't get over that!). I have three folders still out, the taxes for 2017, the trucks titles and stuff I have to take to get them transferred to the boys, and the folder for homesteading the house. That's it!

I have to say, this is the first time I've gotten flowers and candy from someone other than a minor (kids at school). One of our classes sold carnations every year to raise funds for their big field trip (a week long camping trip that my DH and DS#2 always helped with). Most teachers kept the carnations. I always sent them home with my assistant, they drove my head nuts! My last assistant was the only assistant that went to the parents and said please don't send her real flowers for her retirement and they didn't - they all sent silk stems and I still have them in my sewing room.

Today, I'm sitting with Nana while Nandy goes to the doctor. DS#2 will be opening a checking account, taking care of his laundry and calling our insurance guy to get insurance on the little truck. DS#1 will be getting insurance on the big truck and once we get the titles transferred, I'll be dropping insurance on both! Not sure what we're going to do about the Vibe, but we'll figure it out later!

I hope everyone has a very safe and creative day.

Prayers for those in need, for peace, comfort, strength and healing. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many, many blessings!

Hulamoon
February 14th, 2018, 10:17 AM
Good morning and Happy Valentines Day! I'm actually a night owl right now. I just finished watching skating and the half pipe. That was exciting! I got into curling too after I looked up what the sweeping was for. I was confused for awhile. I'm going to do meal prep today. I bought the containers and am going to make some turkey wraps with side of fruit etc and then some salads. I need to take some weight off!

And yea be careful on that roof! Have someone around with you.

Monique
February 14th, 2018, 10:51 AM
For you information, the roof is not at a big peak so walking on it is no big deal. In the fall I put the ladder up against it so we didn't have to find a ladder under all that snow. AND I will be careful. Waiting until it is a little bit warmer out. Thank you all for your worries, I will be back when I am done. Les is home in case!!

Star lover
February 14th, 2018, 11:16 AM
OK, I'm breathing......a little. Will still be happier when you're done!

MissMay
February 14th, 2018, 11:40 AM
JUST A QUICK NOTE TO WISH A HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY TO ALL no matter what you're doing today.

DH and I are a little under the weather today so we'll celebrate with some home made mushroom barley soup and if we're up to eating more for dinner the nearby local farm market has some delicious fish dinners we can get as it's Ash Wednesday.

PS: Found old photos of my Valentine and I when we were quite young.

Simply Quilting
February 14th, 2018, 11:50 AM
Happy Valentine's Day!

Monique, that recipe looks delicious.

Nothing fancy going on here for Valentine's Day. DH got me flowers for our anniversary last week which translates into anniversary, Valentine's Day and my birthday since they are all close together.

KPH
February 14th, 2018, 11:51 AM
Thank goodness Monique! Glad to know you have a spotter handy. I'm still praying you can do it safely... just because I can!

grammaterry
February 14th, 2018, 01:07 PM
Monique, you are brave. I am terrified of ladders, roofs, anything where my feet are not planted firmly on the ground. That being said, I still try...in the fall I got the ladder (it is soooo heavy) and moved it along the back of the house to clean the gutters. DH found out I had done it two months later and scolded me. I always try (lame word) to clean the front ones from a step stool on the porch and lean out and grab handfuls of pine needles so the rain can make its way thru the gutter. I keep talking about those gutter guards but I am always vetoed. He says they are more trouble than they are worth to put up. hummm. Anyway, careful careful careful. Maybe the rain will dissolve some of the snow.
I am fascinated by curling too. I haven't seen any of it on the TV this year. Must come on when I'm not watching. I did enjoy the half pike last night and a bit of pairs skating.
Was up and down all night in the bathroom. I can't imagine what got my stomach in such an uproar. DH and I ate the samething yesterday with the exception of me having some cottage cheese. Don't feel bad, just disrupted an otherwise good sleep.
Going to get dressed and go work in the sewing room. DH is still sleeping. He stays up till 4am and sleeps till noon. He loves being a night owl. Happy Valentines day to all of you. I don't get into this holiday since I think it is just a commercial money grab. I remember loving it as a child, making valentines and making the box for the other kids to deliver their to. This was before everyone had to be "fair" and give the same size valentine to "everyone" and room mothers could still make homemade cupcakes and punch for the class party. Oh, remember the "good ol' days.

Bubby
February 14th, 2018, 02:45 PM
May, The two of you were beautiful then, as you are now. Happy Valentine's Day and feel better so you can kick your heels up a bit!

Terry, we have to fight with pine needles in our gutters, too. How do so many get there right after the gutters are cleaned out?? Fortunately Jeff deals with ours. He hates to see me climb up on anything.

Debbie Watters
February 14th, 2018, 02:52 PM
Happy Valentine's Day to all!

Carolnnc
February 14th, 2018, 04:54 PM
Happy Valentine's Day.

Monique I get you climbing on the roof. I am only 4'11" and will scale anything if I need to. DH spent the first few years of our marriage yelling at me to get off the kitchen counter. He was always worried I'd fall.

May, thank you so much for sharing the pictures.

Today is my sweet hubby's birthday. We are going to pick up "his" puppy today. He says I always get him great gifts.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
February 14th, 2018, 08:02 PM
Happy Valentine's Day ladies.
Michael surprised me with a card and chocolates. For once I forgot to get a card but I had picked up his favorite dark chocolate. We were off early this morning for errands and to drive an hour west to get out HQ ruler of the month and demo (in Carleton Place, Monique). We enjoyed lunch in this quaint small community and some window shopping. I had brought the new ruler designed by Angela Walters by Creative Grids to show the owner. She is always willing to bring in new tools. She surprised me, as she had just received the 4 rulers. So she did a demo using my ruler. I had not tried it yet, but excited to give it a whirl.

Then we went to drop off some fabrics for Touch Quilts. A member of our guild and her husband run a group in town. They were thrilled. I will dig out more fabrics with texture. These are made for Alzheimer patients. They mentioned this to us at last night's guild meeting. The speaker was interesting, Paul Leger, and a humorous speaker about his quilt journey. He is a contributor to QuiltSocial.

Then drive home took over an hour in rush traffic. Won't be doing much tonight, as lunch was very filling. Tomorrow I hope to sew some more blocks on the 3 Dudes. They are wearing me out.