PDA

View Full Version : Dang blood pressure machines

Hulamoon
February 13th, 2018, 10:53 PM
I had a visit with a new doctor and the machine showed 188/86. Gulp. I go today for a wellness check up ( all that woman stuff) and the machine said 288/? . Really? she said I'll do it manual after your exam. It was 140/?. Have you ever had such a high-low on tests like this with these machines?

KPH
February 13th, 2018, 11:07 PM
Well, can I tell you what happened a couple of dr. visits ago. I was sitting there with my arm out trying to relax.

So the nurse, while the machine is beeping and pumping, starts asking questions. Brilliant, right? Naturally, they're questions that I have to find something in my pocketbook to answer. So I'm digging in my pocket book whilst the machine is still beeping on my arm

Then she had the nerve to freak out! I was thinking, hey stupid, you're the one that had me fidgeting.

grammaterry
February 13th, 2018, 11:12 PM
I guess all these tests are so commonplace to the medical care providers that they sort of gloss over them. They recently did some blood work and wanted to do a cholesterol screening. I agreed. THen when the results come it says that if I hadnt' been fasting for at least 12 hours the results would be skewed. So, it would have been prudent to at least ask if I'd eaten. It was 2 pm for goodness sake and I didn't go there to get the test. I wanted an allergy medication. So the cost billed to medicare was fraud!!

Angelia
February 13th, 2018, 11:49 PM
I get "white coat syndrome." Mention that you are going to take my BP, and it skyrockets! It is only borderline when I test it at home.

azmotogirl
February 13th, 2018, 11:56 PM
My mom always had high readings in the office. Our family dr decided to have us bring in her BP machine with the memory and checked the history and used that info to adjust her meds.

Judy, USMC
February 14th, 2018, 12:57 AM
The wrist monitor has been weirdly unreliably low in the past (70/30) for me. I see them going for it and tell them I want it done manually. So they grab the machine. The cuffs can have a problem too ... if they use the wrong size or the cuff is old and leaky you can get false readings. If it seems abnormal I ask for the old "put the stethoscope in your ears and listen" method.

And i think it's a great idea if you have a home monitor compared to the one at the doctor's office.

pcbatiks
February 14th, 2018, 01:14 AM
DH has white coat syndrome. He has a monitor at home that records his bp readings. He brings it with him to the Dr. it’s always high at start of appointment and comes back down when they check it again later during the visit.

TMP
February 14th, 2018, 01:19 AM
I hate those automatic blood pressure cups. I have never had that sort of reading with them but, they always hurt. I have arthritis in my arms and it is painful. One nurse told me I promise you I didn't turn it up. Not sure what that means but why can't they just take it the old fashion way. I don't have high blood pressure and I always dread that part of the doctor visit.

Hulamoon
February 14th, 2018, 01:30 AM
I hate those automatic blood pressure cups. I have never had that sort of reading with them but, they always hurt. I have arthritis in my arms and it is painful. One nurse told me I promise you I didn't turn it up. Not sure what that means but why can't they just take it the old fashion way. I don't have high blood pressure and I always dread that part of the doctor visit.

I hate them too and only experienced them only recently. From now on I'm going to ask to do both because I just don't trust the readings. I'm a healthy eater, not eating meat or very many processed foods. Crackers and tortillas here and there. Maybe some cheese and dark chocolate. lol

MSN
February 14th, 2018, 03:16 AM
Automated blood pressure cuffs often give inaccurate readings if the person has an irregular heartbeat. As a nurse, I use them a lot. But if I get a weird reading, I grab a manual cuff and a stethoscope--if I can even find one!

TMP, the automated cuffs are useful for taking serial readings automatically (e.g. every 10 minutes). Also, the results can be saved to the patient's chart with a push of a button. It eliminates transcription errors. My best advice is to just let your arm go limp while the machine is squeezing. If you are moving at all, the machine has a hard time getting a reading and so keeps squeezing harder and longer until it can take the measurement.

Star lover
February 14th, 2018, 08:39 AM
Happens to my DH every time he goes in to the docs. He not only has white coat syndrome, but he HATES the feeling of the pressure. Whenever I go with him, I always suggest they wait till at least midway through the appointment. He relaxes and always gets a better reading. And whatever they do....DONT start asking questions while they do it......the numbers go through the roof!
Me, I just relax. None of it bothers me, and I always get a great read.

Carolnnc
February 14th, 2018, 04:45 PM
DH checks his at home once a week to make sure it's staying below 120/90. We started doing this years ago because every time he went into the office it was anywhere from 180/100 to 200/100. He hates going to the doctor & get real nervous which causes his blood pressure to spike. I took him to urgent care once when he was sick with a sinus infection. Two different nurses took his blood pressure, looked at each other & found the doctor. He took his blood pressure & tried to send us across the street to the emergency room. We were told by the doctor that the wrist cuffs weren't accurate and to use the arm cuff, making sure the cuff was the correct size for his skinny arm.

Monique
February 14th, 2018, 05:24 PM
I had one for a very brief time, mentioned it to my Dr. and he told me to get rid of it. So I did.

Heather
February 14th, 2018, 05:58 PM
Yes, but in the opposite way. While I was in chemo they took my bp and it registered zero. They retook it and it was zero. They unplugged the machine and rebooted it and it said zero. The nurse was getting worried now and he called in his supervisor. Supervisor took it and it read zero. Tried again, zero. I said well obviously its the machine, I'm sitting here talking to you guys its been like 5 minutes and I'm not dead yet. They so believed the stupid thing they called for a crash cart to be placed the hall for my imminent demise. :icon_mooooh:
This got the head nurse over and she came in with the old cuff and stethoscope. And guess what, I wasn't dead after all. :icon_woohoo:

Hulamoon
February 14th, 2018, 06:16 PM
Yes, but in the opposite way. While I was in chemo they took my bp and it registered zero. They retook it and it was zero. They unplugged the machine and rebooted it and it said zero. The nurse was getting worried now and he called in his supervisor. Supervisor took it and it read zero. Tried again, zero. I said well obviously its the machine, I'm sitting here talking to you guys its been like 5 minutes and I'm not dead yet. They so believed the stupid thing they called for a crash cart to be placed the hall for my imminent demise. :icon_mooooh:
This got the head nurse over and she came in with the old cuff and stethoscope. And guess what, I wasn't dead after all. :icon_woohoo:

Well I'm glad your not. lol.

I know 140/? is still a bit high, so I'm going to work on it. I hate taking medication! There is a park close by that I can walk and it has a dog park and it's fun to watch the antics, but it's been raining so much.

tsladaritz
February 15th, 2018, 02:52 PM
Well, can I tell you what happened a couple of dr. visits ago. I was sitting there with my arm out trying to relax.

So the nurse, while the machine is beeping and pumping, starts asking questions. Brilliant, right? Naturally, they're questions that I have to find something in my pocketbook to answer. So I'm digging in my pocket book whilst the machine is still beeping on my arm

Then she had the nerve to freak out! I was thinking, hey stupid, you're the one that had me fidgeting.

This happens to me too. I just sit quietly and smile at them. Too bad if they have to wait. I refuse to talk and move about for the 2 minutes to do my bp. They can wait. ;-)

auntstuff
February 15th, 2018, 03:05 PM

You absolutely have the right to refuse the machine and insist on manual. I do. It IS your body, after all.

mommadeb
February 15th, 2018, 03:11 PM
I get "white coat syndrome." Mention that you are going to take my BP, and it skyrockets! It is only borderline when I test it at home.

I'm the same way. It's always perfect at home.

A doctor once told me that the size of the cuff makes a difference too. If they use too small of one on you, your pressure could read higher that normal.

SF Jen
February 15th, 2018, 11:14 PM
Hi Heather. That is a great story. Mind if I pass it on to a very nervous, but still alive friend?