PDA

View Full Version : The lawyer visit

KPH
February 13th, 2018, 09:49 PM
So, today was the big day. DS#1 had to work, but a short day. We met him on the other side of the world of Jacksonville (that's what it felt like anyway). He's a very nice man and explained that looking at the balances on the checking/ savings accounts there isn't an estate. The house was joint, the savings and checking accounts were joint, so it just kind of rolls over.

He said, any bills that Howard incurred are Howard's problem, not mine, since I paid for the funeral. We can change the trucks to the boys names, with the title, will, and registration. Homesteading the house is more important and will have to be done Friday when Jim is off.

He's going to make out my will and other papers. Told both boys that they'd better behave because I could change it all with just a phone call. lol, They looked at each other and both said at the same time, We'd rather live than mess with her. Can you tell who was the disciplinarian in our house? I laughed and said there was a belt in the trunk of the car for years, and I wasn't afraid to get it out (but I never had to, the threat was enough for them).

My oldest was talking about the finality of the process... I was like this is a breeze kiddo! and this lawyer is really looking out for them with my estate.

I'm feeling more at peace. I think the kids are less stressed.

DS#2 took me out to dinner at Grub. It's a hamburger joint. Delicious food, floor staff was busy talking to her friends and not paying attention to anyone else in the dining area. Once one of the counter staff came out, and then she was busy talking to her. I'm not sure she's found her niche.

We got home tonight and there was a box on the front porch. I wasn't expecting anything. It was a flower arrangement. It was a nice surprise from my financial lady. She always sent mom flowers on Valentine's after Dad passed away. I thought it was really sweet of her to send some to me.

I hope everyone has had a wonderful day! I'm off to watch the Olympics or Gibbs. I'm having a tough time deciding.

jjkaiser
February 13th, 2018, 10:00 PM
I am so happy things went well. It is a load off your mind now. The lawyer will know just what to do and your only job I guess will be to sign all the papers. Feels good to have it behind you I am sure!

Tracie T
February 13th, 2018, 10:01 PM
Katrina, I'm so glad to hear things are going smoothly. I remember when Dad died Mom having to get so many death certificates for proof to have his name removed from anything. Last year, we moved Mom who is now 85 from her home to an apartment in an over 55 community and for some reason she didn't have Dad's name taken off the cable bill. We contacted the cable company to let them know Mom moved and that it should be in her name. They said we would have to provide Dad's death certificate in order to change the name on the bill. My Dad died in 2003....thankfully I was able to find some extra copies of his certificates so Mom wouldn't have to pay to have more sent. I said to Mom, "Good grief, you can't even leave this earth without proof".

Anyway, I continue to pray for you and your family. You are quite an amazing and strong woman.

Hulamoon
February 13th, 2018, 10:42 PM
That sounds like it went smoothly. I have to sit my girls down and talk about the house in Calif and what to do in case. You are strong and you gave me a push to get that done.

KPH
February 13th, 2018, 10:59 PM
Katrina, I'm so glad to hear things are going smoothly. I remember when Dad died Mom having to get so many death certificates for proof to have his name removed from anything. Last year, we moved Mom who is now 85 from her home to an apartment in an over 55 community and for some reason she didn't have Dad's name taken off the cable bill. We contacted the cable company to let them know Mom moved and that it should be in her name. They said we would have to provide Dad's death certificate in order to change the name on the bill. My Dad died in 2003....thankfully I was able to find some extra copies of his certificates so Mom wouldn't have to pay to have more sent. I said to Mom, "Good grief, you can't even leave this earth without proof".

Anyway, I continue to pray for you and your family. You are quite an amazing and strong woman.

Tracie, it's something else. I got 1 long copy and 10 short copies of Howard's death certificate. I've only needed 4 total, but with fax machines, I used the long one for the life insurance, and 1 short one for the three faxes I had to send, so technically I still have that one.

I remember having to have a copy of one to mail to each company my Dad had stock in. I think with all of the splits and things we ended using 25 DC's for him. I don't think either one of my parents realized they could have his financial agent keep up with all of those stocks and have the account set up as a beneficiary account. I also remember having to dig and hunt for insurance companies that had gone defunct, but sold the policies to other companies. So much fun, NOT!

I'm just so surprised how different it is here in FL than in NC. I was filled with dread, ready to just turn everything over. He was like, you only have 5 things left to do. That didn't sound so bad! Maybe by March, I'll actually get to see the top of the dining room table!

grammaterry
February 13th, 2018, 11:20 PM
I am so proud of you. I haven't the first clue as to what will need to be done when the time comes. In NC you don't have to be embalmed if you are enterned in 24 hours and so our plan is whoever goes first, the other will bury the passer in the 24 hour period on the property. We have prepaid for one cremation for the remaining of us so that the children won't have to worry with it. But, we do need to get a will prepared. I don't want the children to have to argue about anytning but I also want them to know what we have that will need to be dispursed. Other than that, I don't know what will need done.

cv quilter
February 13th, 2018, 11:30 PM
Katrina, the timing of my reading this post tonight is ironic. First of all, I am happy to hear that it seems things are "under control"...not easy,, but you have someone to guide you and sounds like you are getting good advice. Today Fred and I went to see our financial advisor and had an opportunity to talk about our financial status. We don't have a lot...we are comfortable, but were reminded to make sure all was in order...beneficiaries are named and they are aware of the details. I am reminded that nothing is "sure" or promised. I think of you tonight and have prayed for your peace and comfort. You are strong and as i read your posts, I admire you. You are not going through an easy time...how could you be???? But you have grace and you have a family to help you through this difficult time.

KarenC
February 14th, 2018, 12:47 AM
So glad to hear all went smoothly. I am executrix for my mother, and don't look forward to it when the time comes. Fortunately, everything is split evenly so there shouldn't be complaints, but you never know. I have not had the conversation with my children yet to discuss my will. While things are split evenly, one does not get control of her inheritance until her 40th birthday.

Judy, USMC
February 14th, 2018, 01:25 AM
Glad to hear things are going smoothly. Nice to have an experienced lawyer who can be helpful. I think the "where do I go from here and how do I set up the children's inheritance?" is the next, and maybe, more complicated step.

Star lover
February 14th, 2018, 08:31 AM
So thankful you have some peace....you sure deserve it! Hugs!

Bubby
February 14th, 2018, 08:44 AM
I'm so glad to hear that this step is behind you and everything is coming together. Strong women are usually strong because of faith and prayer, so I continue to pray for you. HUGS!

Monique
February 14th, 2018, 08:50 AM
Katrina, I am so happy that it went so well for you. Certainly a weight lifted off your shoulders. You are an incredibly strong person. Now take some time for yourself.