PDA

View Full Version : Monday Trivia: USA

Star lover
February 12th, 2018, 08:45 AM
Interesting facts about the USA....

- South Florida is the only place in the world where alligators and crocodiles coexist in the wild.

At first glance crocodiles can be difficult to distinguish from alligators. The American crocodile is lizard-shaped with a long, muscular tail and their narrow snout is triangular in shape. Because of the location of the eyes, ears, and nostrils, a crocodile can be submerged with only the top of its head exposed and still be able to see, hear, and breathe.

Alligators are more numerous in Florida than crocodiles, are darker, have a broader snout, and are typically found in freshwater habitats. Crocodiles, on the other hand, are rare and secretive creatures that inhabit coastal, brackish, and salt-water habitats.

- There are around 5,000 commercial airplanes flying over the United States at any given time.

I guess not all of them are flying over my house......it just seems like it.

- Only one-third of all $100 bills are actually inside the United States.

The U.S. currency people mostly want overseas is $100s, and the U.S. has been printing more and more $100s to satisfy that demand: In the past 20 years, the number of $100 bills in circulation has grown much, much faster than the number bills of smaller denominations.

- In Colma, California the dead outnumber the living by nearly 1,000 to 1.

In the early part of the 20th century San Francisco was rife with disease, filth and death. Their answer to the problem was to relocate the dead bodies to one area.....now Colma, CA. Land was cheaper there and so......the dead outnumber the living.

- The smallest county in the U.S., Kalawao County on the Hawaiian island of Moloka'i, is also a leprosy colony where a few former patients still live.

And that's all she wrote.....the end! Thanks to our Sandy Navas who made all this possible!

Anitamae56
February 12th, 2018, 09:52 AM
Very, very interesting! Thank you!

grammaterry
February 12th, 2018, 12:21 PM
Now that was a hodgepodge of trivia from Alligators to leprosy with airplanes flying inbetween

Debbie Watters
February 12th, 2018, 01:28 PM
Thanks so much for the trivia. Read these to my husband and he said: "Where does she get this stuff?" He enjoys them as much as I do ...

Star lover
February 12th, 2018, 01:30 PM
Thanks so much for the trivia. Read these to my husband and he said: "Where does she get this stuff?" He enjoys them as much as I do ...

You wouldn't want to live in my brain.....I never outgrew the terrible 2 stage when they ask.....why?