PDA

View Full Version : A Vow of Silence?

Carolnnc
February 11th, 2018, 06:29 PM
This isn't about dogs, dog breeds or dog temperaments. I believe all dogs start out good & an uninformed owner plus poor training can ruin a dog.

We are getting a puppy. (pictures will be shown on Valentine's Day) We decided on the breed because we had one as a rescue in the early 80's & she was a sweet & loyal dog. Our new puppy is a Doberman & we've named him Ryker. Anyone see where this is going?

We were at MIL's house yesterday & I stupidly said we're getting a Dobie puppy. MIL immediately said, "Oh my god, those are mean & vicious dogs." (from a woman who's poodle tried to bite me TWICE)

DH's aunt who was there said, Her daughter had a Dobie. "Don't you remember it bit her son."

DH's uncle spoke up and said was bitten on the hand by a Dobie someone gave him. "It was a mean dog & he shot it."

I also mentioned to the lady who lives across the street we were getting a puppy. She wanted to know what kind (I was honest). She runs a home daycare. She said, "please don't let that dog get loose & attack one of my kids.

I remember as a child being told that if you can't say something nice then lock your lips & hold your tongue. Lately I feel like 9 times out of 10 when I try to carry on a conversation with someone they have a negative attitude or comment. I am perplexed that these people don't realize how they sound.

It's really discouraging when you have something exciting to share & you get a bucket of ice water in the face!

I told DH I was going to stop trying to have conversations with people. I'm going to be the little old lady who just nods & smiles.

Patty J
February 11th, 2018, 06:38 PM
We had a rescue Rottweiler and she was the most loving/caring dog ever. I was scared when we got her because of all the horror stories, but DH said if we treat her right and train her we would have the most loving dog ever. He was right. Never worried about her with the grandbabies. If the baby was napping on the couch (when he was tiny) she would lay right next to the couch and pop her head up whenever the baby moved or even made some little noise. I knew to check on baby.
So have fun with your new puppy and train it well. Dobermans can be very loving too.

Sandy Navas
February 11th, 2018, 06:38 PM
May I please jump on your bandwagon? I promise not to say anything about your adorable little puppy, except something like "May I cuddle?"

happygram
February 11th, 2018, 06:44 PM
One of my "grand-dogs" is a rescue Rottweiler, and he's the most gentle and laid back dog ever. When my grandson was born, there was never the slightest indication there was any jealousy. He's very protective and a totally wonderful dog.

KPH
February 11th, 2018, 06:50 PM
We had a mini dobey. He was an adorable pup and grew into the most protective dog I've ever had. There wasn't a man that could come into our house. All he would do is bark, but he wouldn't shut up! My son has his "this is My Momma, you stay away" growl on his phone. It's fun to see people turn around when it rings.

quiltsRfun
February 11th, 2018, 06:53 PM
I remember when dobermans had the same reputation as the pit bull does now. I haven't owned a dobie but know several people who have. They were gentle and loving dogs. Congrats on the addition to your family. Enjoy that new pup.

Bubby
February 11th, 2018, 06:56 PM
I rescued a Doberman years ago (Laser). He fell in love with me and was the most obedient dog I ever had. Good luck with your new pup.

Hulamoon
February 11th, 2018, 06:59 PM
We had some drug dealers on our street ( serious stuff ) and they had two that they would let loose and chase people back into their houses. I'm only saying this because of the drugs and they probably trained them to be like that. I've been around other Dobies ( not very many) and they were really sweet. We have a lot of Pit bulls here and they have been sweet too. My dd's dog was half pit and was here 7 years. He was afraid of the beach. lol

Maybe take the pup around to the neighbors and introduce him/her so they see how cute and friendly they can be. And yea little dogs are cute but bite and snap without notice.

azmotogirl
February 11th, 2018, 07:04 PM
We have owned and raised 3 dobermans in the past and they are one of the smartest, most loyal dogs around. Ours had a similar temperament to labs and we consider one of them as our "once in a lifetime dog". When the breed originated they were raised to be more aggressive based on the job did. These days most good breeder have bred them to more of a family type dog. I wish you all the best with your new family member and look forward to seeing all your pictures. (feel free to share them anytime!!)

laura44
February 11th, 2018, 07:05 PM
Well, congratulations on your new doggie. I agree,
proper training is important when getting a new dog.
Hope you have many happy years together!

dwil23
February 11th, 2018, 07:14 PM
As the grandmother of the sweetest pit bull that ever walked the planet, I understand. Enjoy your puppy - I am sure you will raise it right.

BTW - the stats as of 3-4 yrs ago showed that Labs bit more people than any other breed. That would not stop me from getting a Lab if I was looking for another dog.

"There are no bad dogs, only bad owners"

Monique
February 11th, 2018, 07:25 PM
I am not a dog person. I am petrified of ANY dog for the most part. Except my sons dogs, whom I have gotten to know. Having said that, I would not EVER comment negativity at any rate. I may never come visit you, but that is my decision alone.

auntstuff
February 11th, 2018, 07:31 PM
I have had 2 Dobies, and both were loves and guardians of my children when they were growing up. They were protective without ever being violent about it. With ONE exception: my ex who used to beat on me. My first Dobe HATED that man and wouldn't let him in the house. Did I mention they are smart, too?

CraftyJnet
February 11th, 2018, 07:37 PM
I wonder why they couldn't just say "how wonderful!" instead of all that negativity? Maybe your mother-in-law et.al. weren't properly trained as children!

I love all dogs. I'm sure you will adore the puppy and he/she will adore you back!

Caroline T.
February 11th, 2018, 07:49 PM
I had two doberman, Ox and Harmony. They both lived up to their names, Ox was a big ol goofball, and Harmony as sweet as could be. They were wonderful loving pets that would welcome anyone into the house. They never met a stranger they didn't like and loved all the children in the neighborhood.

Congrats to the new member of your family, and let the nay sayers eat their words.

Carlie Wolf
February 11th, 2018, 08:03 PM
I'm sorry to hear that people are doing this to you. Dobie's got a bad rap from people who decided to have one for their (owners) macho image and then treated them so poorly, feeling they had to "teach" them to be aggressive but I think you know this. These dogs are so sensitive they don't require ruff treatment and they don't forget anything. Do you remember back I think in the 80's there was a horrible rumor...that was NOT true....that the reason they "turn on their owners" is because they have narrow heads and their brains keep growing causing pressure against their skulls.....I kid you not!!! And people believed it, not that their neighbor Mr. and Mrs Beaver Cleaver were dog abusers.

Ryker is a great name, I love it! Just tell these people that you've noticed he's super reactive to people thoughts so just keep it clean and nice when around and don't ever, ever take his name in vain...he knows no matter where they said it.. Just think of the perks....those people probably won't be visiting much :-) Can't wait to see his pictures! I'm sure you will have many loving years with him.

jjkaiser
February 11th, 2018, 08:08 PM
I am a big dog lover so I say congratulations! My dd has two pitbulls and in spite of their reputation for being mean and aggressive, they are a couple of marshmallows, but good guard dogs. Yours will be too! Be sure and show pictures!!

Peggi
February 11th, 2018, 08:12 PM
The stats as of 3-4 yrs ago showed that Labs bit more people than any other breed.

I was going to point this statistic out also.

I'd inform the MIL of this, and tell her I was playing it safe by not getting a lab. That might shock her into silence :D

BTW, I'm not dogging labs (pun intended! :lol:). We had the gentlest, goofiest black lab/pit bull mix ever. I fully believe his sole purpose in life was to make us laugh at his ridiculous antics. He was so sweet and gentle, even when he had every right to not be. When my youngest son was about 2 or 3, he picked up a pair of pliers my husband had just set down, and before anyone could stop him, grabbed hold of a dog ear with them. Poor dog yelped, snarled, and snapped at the hand holding the pliers, then immediately laid down with his "oh-no-I'm-in-trouble" look on his face. I grabbed the pliers and checked my son's hand. No crying, no blood, no teeth marks, not even a smudge of dog slobber on that hand!! The child got a mild scolding on how much that hurt the doggie, don't ever do it again, and the dog got a treat, some belly rubs, and lots of "good doggy" loving.

Snip Snip
February 11th, 2018, 08:24 PM
I like the idea of taking the puppy around to visit those people while he is still young and as adorable as all puppies are. It's harder to distrust a dog when you knew them as a silly pup.
Have fun with your new baby.

shermur
February 11th, 2018, 10:13 PM
Carolnnc....Hey I know exactly where you're coming from, sweetie....my rescue baby is a pitbull mix....Dottie; she has been judged just because of how she looks....

Like any dog breed, it is how they are raised and all pet owners have a responsibility of their dog. I know mine is not social, she protects her home and her family and a stranger shouldn't walk into the house without us home. Dottie does pretty good when we are out walking away from home and she does suffer from separation anxiety when we leave her each day.....

But, it is unfair how uneducated and judgmental people can be. I would love to have a Dobbie, or a Rottie or a German Shepherd. The working breed class and sporting breed class dogs are the most challenging to train and raise. But, if you're devoted to that sweet pup and raise him as he should be? You shouldn't have any issues, sweetie. Ryker sounds like he will have a great home!

Vonnie
February 11th, 2018, 11:21 PM
My oldest brother used to have a giant doberman. She was the size of a great dane. She was a therapy dog that made regular visits to a nursing home. The patients there loved her!

Congratulations on your new furbaby.

Star lover
February 12th, 2018, 08:09 AM
What's not to love? Congratulations! Love his name too!

Carlie Wolf
February 12th, 2018, 12:01 PM
shermur, the dog relaxation music (you can find it on utube) works wonders with dogs with anxiety and thunder/fireworks problems. They have some that play music for 8 hours. You might want to give it a try. It worked wonders for Carlie (thunder) and she would actually fall asleep. it was better then any meds. After a year of it she no loner reacts violently to storms and you'd hardly notice she was anxious.

grammaterry
February 12th, 2018, 12:16 PM
DOn't let the voices of the negative bring you down. FInd sheer joy in your new puppy. Puppys and babies are the best.

Suzette
February 12th, 2018, 12:27 PM
As a vet tech I can tell you first hand that good owners make good dogs. (And of course, vice versa). And I don't just mean people who are kind versus mean. I mean owners who take the time to learn about the breed they have chosen and know how to work with that breed in particular and dogs in general.

I never once had an issue with a dobie at our clinic. Or rotties, or pitties. Their owners were knowledgeable and took the time to train and exercise their dogs on a regular basis. On the whole, I mostly found the most difficult dogs the little ones that their owners pampered and coddled to the point of having no manners whatsoever. (And yes, I saw lots of great little breed dogs too because they had good owners.)

I love dobies and wish you all the best with your new furry friend. Let your family and neighbors fuss. They will see in time what a great dog you have.

Hulamoon
February 12th, 2018, 12:55 PM
I heard these jackets work well for anxeity.

http://www.thundershirt.com/

Astatoo
February 12th, 2018, 01:51 PM
I heard these jackets work well for anxeity.

http://www.thundershirt.com/

Funny, a friend of mine bought one for my dog-he has an issue with separation anxiety. He absolutely freaked out at it, bit it right out of my hand and tore it apart. The problem....velcro. He absolutely hates the sound of it ripping apart. He still has a problem with this sound, gets aggressive when ever he hears it.

Hulamoon
February 12th, 2018, 03:42 PM
Funny, a friend of mine bought one for my dog-he has an issue with separation anxiety. He absolutely freaked out at it, bit it right out of my hand and tore it apart. The problem....velcro. He absolutely hates the sound of it ripping apart. He still has a problem with this sound, gets aggressive when ever he hears it.

Oh no, lol. I wonder if they have one with zippers or buttons? I actually came across a site that shows how to swaddle a dog on your own. They are furbabies after all!

Heather
February 12th, 2018, 05:38 PM
I cannot wait to see Ryker! Just a wittle tiny itty bitty baby puppy wuppy. I already love him from afar.

People are stupid. I will offer a suggestion for you and Ryker, and that is to participate in an AKC puppy training class. (They are open to all breeds) If you pass the Canine Good Citizen (open to any breed also) exam, you may get a deduction on your homeowners insurance. Our Ben (mastiff) had a very handsome Dobie in his puppy class. That Dobie was one heck of a smart and friendly dog.

Also watch out for the dog flu, its rampant here. Not sure about your area tho.

jesuisdiana
February 12th, 2018, 07:03 PM
congrats on the puppy, can't wait to see pics
we've had three dobies who all wanted to be lapdogs, we would have gotten another but couldn't afford at the time, currently have a McNab and border collie mix

Carolnnc
February 12th, 2018, 07:28 PM
Thank you for all your wonderful comments, I really needed the cheering up.

The man who has Ryker also trains dogs so his price includes intensive training for the dog owner. We have to go for a hour Mon-Fri for two weeks which has been so helpful & informative. He explained that Ryker will hit a stubborn stage later on & we can call for more help & training if needed.

I remarked it's a lot like training husbands & children: lots of praise & firm correction. He thought that was funny but I wasn't kidding:-)

Carlie Wolf
February 13th, 2018, 12:46 AM
If I recall, you watch for a dog to hit the "i'm gonna test your authority" at around 9 month, a year and half and again around 3 years. I found this to be true. It can start out just by pressing lightly again say your leg but will get progressively more obvious if you let them get away with it, it's kind of their pretest. It also might be a little annoyed growl when you take their food away. It's not a mistake or a minor "bad day". You just don't let them get away with it right from the first time. I found that just a rough sounding "What do you think YOU'REdoing" worked. Also a mad look with a dominant sounding "AH!" works. I've never had to hit a dog, just a stern voice was enough. I do admit though that Rusty, one of my rottys, was trying to find his place in the pecking order when he was around 7 months old. I had two daughters ages 14 and 12, the younger was slight of build. He didn't succeed with the older so one morning he walked into the younger's room, hopped on her bed while she was in it and proceeded to lift his leg and pee on her. She let out a NOOOOO and he immediately landed against the wall opposite her bed, got up, shook his head and looked back at her. He never challenged her again and accepted his position in the pecking order. Poor thing didn't realize that little girl was use to handling big cows at the neighbors barn. Can we say R E S P E C T. Granted I'm not suggesting it as an alternative but for some reason it happened so quickly he didn't realize she was responsible.