PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Moring ..looks like I'm first

grammaterry
February 11th, 2018, 09:35 AM
Here it is, Sunday and I've been up for two hours. We have woods frogs breeding in the swimming pool and boy are they noisy. THey woke me up at the crack of dawn. But, I will trade them for snow any day of the week. The first real sign that perhaps the spring may be on its way. DH says that if there is a cold snap, they will start all over. I'm voting for them not to give up.
DH is off to the gun show. He had a great day yesterday. Sold several, bought a couple but came home renewed and excited. He tries not to let his happiness show, but...I can tell.
I'm going to finish piecing the pioneer quilt today. It is really dark. Someone will like it though. I just think I like scrappy colorful quilts better.
Made cookies yesterday so DH would have snacks today. So now they are in there calling my fat butt to come eat them. I am the original cookie monster.
A little more than a year ago a woman who used to work in a childrens clothing plant sold me some ends and pieces of fabric really cheap. I bought several boxes from her for the Shriners Project. I've used a great deal of it (most ) . Anyway, she contacted me yesterday and said she is going to downsize her inventory and was I interested. Heck Yeah!! I can't imagine how much more she could have but the fabric was nice cotton prints. Most of it had dates on it from 2000-2003. I know its getting old, but I won't be able to resist
I've got to start sewing for that project. I've been being really selfish in making things for my house lately.
Have a great day y'all.

Star lover
February 11th, 2018, 09:57 AM
Mornin Terry and all...

Terry, what a great score! You make the neatest stuff for so little. Impressive!

Well we got more snow. Not sure but at least 3" on top of the 8". The city plowed the street.....twice! But we live in a court and all they did was make a huge pile at the entrance. Calling the city was no good. They were closed! I left a message, just in case anyone checked in. DH came home from work and got stuck. Took 3 neighbors and me to unstuck him. We are going no where. The city office opens Monday am and will get a call! We pay taxes too and this isn't the first time we've been dissed!

Whine #2. Our postal carrier has got to be one of the worst! For 2 days now she wouldn't deliver mail. She won't walk, she will only drive her truck. She delivers to 4 houses around the truck and moves it every time. So she was afraid of getting stuck in the court.....I understand. But there is this thing called walking.....nope. If this was her only infraction, I could live with it......but I could write a book. All calls, letters to local, federal levels....no help. Sigh.....

So tired of winter and so ready for spring..... can't wait!

Otherwise I got the binding attached to the donation quilt. Now it needs to be.......attached on the other side. Not sure when that will happen. We're to get about 4" of snow today......and DH may still be here till they plow....or it melts......love him, but......he's wound up about the snow, mail (so am I, but will only whine here) and its all I'm gonna hear for the duration.....

Hope y'all are staying warm, safe, healthy and happy. Hugs all around.

Nwmnteacher
February 11th, 2018, 10:00 AM
Good morning!

Another cold morning in NW Minnesota. It seems that every morning we under a windchill advisory until noon. I'm soooo over winter!

I worked yesterday. It was the last day of the 25% off total purchase of fabric coupon, so we were really busy. Besides that coupon, flannel was 60% off, and calico was 50% off. It was a constant line at the cut counter. I cut all day, so my back is stiff today. People brought carts FULL of fabric to be cut. I work again today and am hoping for a quieter day.
Of course, I HAD to use my coupon too, and 2 pieces of Asian inspired fabric found their way home with me. :D No sewing for me this weekend, but I have the rest of the week off (JoAnns is cutting everyone's hours lately), and hope to finish a couple of small projects. And of course, taxes are calling to me, wanting me to work on that.

Wishing everyone a peaceful and blessed Sunday.

Jeanne

JCY
February 11th, 2018, 10:04 AM
Good Morning ~ Terry, you are the early bird today. When I lived in Mich., there was a swampy area near our place in the country. We could hear the frogs. We called them peepers. One year I caught several tad poles, brought them in the house in an aquarium & watched them develop. No peepers here. It's bitter cold this a.m. -- only 8 deg. It snowed much of the morning yest. Total was maybe 2". Our neighbor shoveled the front. Our snow angel from church shoveled the back patio & a path to our shed.

I had a frustrating afternoon with the Tiara II. Broke 2 needles, stitching wasn't right, etc. I talked to the service man at the LQS who gave me some ideas. That didn't do the trick. I'm wondering if it needs service. So I walked away, switched gears, & started piecing some Quarter Log Cabin blocks. I saw the pattern on the Hyacinth Quilt Designs blog. She made her blocks only 6". I decided to use charms & add 2.5" strips, which makes a 9" block. I'm using Kaffe Fassett charms & batiks strips, which I'm cutting from 10" pre-cuts I have on hand. It's bright & colorful.

Colorado's 17 y.o. Red Gerard took the first gold medal for the U.S. last night at the Olympics in the snowboarding. I enjoy watching the figure skating.

Today is my Sun. to play the organ. Time to get on with my day.

Tracie T
February 11th, 2018, 10:51 AM
Good Morning, all. It's going to be rainy most of the day. DD's and I have hair appts at 11, hoping to continue practicing my FMQ. I pieced a Stack and Flip quilt in solids because I was trying to get used to my new machine I got for Christmas, now I'm practicing different FMQ designs on each strip of the quilt. I actually feel like I'm getting better.

Last night I tried the Westalee Rulers for the first time and I'm definitely going to need practice with those.

My quilt may look like a "hot mess" in spots but who cares...right? I was using it for practice and youngest DD already thinks it's cool and wants it when it's finished.

We'll have our family devotions sometime today, we can't forget our Lord, he's too good to us. We left the church we were attending awhile back and haven't found another yet, however, we are finding that having our own little devotional on Sunday morning to be something we all enjoy. Who says you have to be in an actual church to worship the Lord, you can worship anywhere, anytime....right?:icon_bigsmile:

I hope you all have a wonderful day! Take Care, God Bless

Ginny B
February 11th, 2018, 11:00 AM
Good morning. It's a rainy one here this morning. Supposed to rain all day so it will be a good day to be in my sewing room. We had a nice time last night at my cousins birthday party. And he was surprised. :icon_surprised: A cousin that I haven't seen for over a year was there so we had a great time catching up.

I recorded the Olympic events from last night so I'll be catching up with them today. The good thing about that is I can fast forward through commercials and events I am not into as much. Although I must say that I get more info the winter Olympic events than I do the summer ones.

Have a good day everyone. Be safe and warm.

Monique
February 11th, 2018, 11:02 AM
No quilting was done yesterday. We attended an auction sale, no, didn't get the Featherweight. It did go for $225 though. Les did buy me a treadle machine base table. I will have to find a spot in the sewing room (I hope). Not sure what today will bring yet. I was up WAY too early so I am thinking I may need a nap later.

Have a great Sunday everyone.

Cathy F
February 11th, 2018, 11:31 AM
Morning all,
Starting my day off with the Sunday paper and a bagel. A rainy day here so I'll be staying in. Did a little bit in the sewing room yesterday, made some Valentine pouches ( that Bubby got me hooked on) for my grandkids. Will put some money in them as they can always use gas money. Need to do a bit of straightening up in there too so today's a good day to get it done.

Time for me to get a move on and get my chores done so I can get up to the sewing room. Wishing everyone a good day.

Bubby
February 11th, 2018, 12:21 PM
Hi Everyone....As expected we are iced in today, and it will probably last through tomorrow. At least Jeff is home and I'm not alone with Dottie..

Cathy, I'm in my sewing room making pouches, too! It's a nice way to start the day. Speaking of heart pouches:

Me to DD: Did you get the envelope I sent? DD: Yes, what is it? Me: A heart-shaped pouch. DD: Oh.
Me: Did you look inside? DD: Yes, what is it? Me: An embroidered heart. DD: Oh.
Me: Did you find the Starbuck's gift card? DD: I LOVE IT, THANKS MOM!
Me: Oh.....lol!

We are watching the Olympics off and on, flipping between them and NASCAR.

A pot of potato soup sounds good for today. I made chili yesterday and it was too spicy for me to eat. Even with sour cream I couldn't do it. Jeff can have it all, which makes him happy. I put half of it in the freezer.

Wishing everyone a cozy Sunday....be safe. Hugs......

CraftyBarb
February 11th, 2018, 01:31 PM
Hello all. It's a rainy day here today and suppose to rain all day. I have no energy to do anything..but things needs to be done. Tomorrow is garbage and recycling day, so I need to get that stuff put out later...hopefully the rain will slow up a bit. Made an early lunch..did up some dishes and now I am making ice cubes.

Can't wait till 3pm when Nascar races start. I have been waiting for the season to begin again. My Niece in Florida works for the Nascar Foundation in Daytona and she loves her job there. She most likely will be there today. I will keep my eye out for her as she is sometimes around the pit areas.

If I find any energy later I may do some sewing. Need the sun to perk me up..I hate this kind of dreary weather. Have a great all.

MissMay
February 11th, 2018, 02:08 PM
Didn't need to look out the window to confirm that's it's a rainy day, my knees told me that when I woke up. Had a busy day yesterday so staying home today is A OK with me. We have enough French Spring soup leftover from yesterday's dinner for today's lunch which is also A OK with me. DS#2 and DIL were over yesterday and enjoyed the soup, it's their favorite. DIL also liked the fact that she didn't have to make it herself, LOL.

Sending good thoughts and prayers to all.
Chose the wrong photo and can't seem to delete it so I decided to leave it because according to its wishes they are good all year.

toggpine
February 11th, 2018, 03:17 PM
Its been crazy around here. Mom fell and broke her kneecap. She had repair surgery this week and we have been trying to deal with that. Its not so easy with me working now. She doesn't like that I can't just come over whenever, but she is getting adjusted to the idea. Thank the Sweet Baby Jesus that a good family friend has been helping. She is certainly a Godsend in this situation.
Now I get to make a run through my own house and try to make it look less like the inside of the barn and get our laundry all caught up!
Perhaps I will even get into the sewing room later to at least clean off the cutting table, which seems to have a bad case of flat-surfaceitis!
Here is to a better week for everyone, whether its health, weather, cranky machines, or whatever!
Hugs! Cathy

KPH
February 11th, 2018, 03:46 PM
Good Afternoon All,

DS#1 came and picked me up for Sunday School and Church this morning. The Sunday School was led by the preacher and they're starting a series on Bio Ethics. Today was laying the foundation of what leads us to make morally sound decisions. They'll be moving into more challenging questions. I'm not sure I want to be there for those sessions, but he's my ride and I won't get to church otherwise.

I picked up the DD yesterday. Joy, I fell in love when I first saw it. I guess I was hoping they'd sell out before I looked again. lol, nope, they still had it when I went back. At least, I'll have something new for my bedroom.

Main thing for me this afternoon... laundry! The basket's only half full and my underwear drawer is down to the last pair. I've got to to figure out what's going to work for just me. It would be so easy if I still had the stack washer and dryer that we left at the old house. But, this house came with the super sized washer and dryer (with 4 kids, I know why they got the big set!). It took two weeks for both of us to have a full load! I guess I'll be washing everything on a small load from now on,

I figured out what I'm going to do for the Secret Santa through April. Now to just get organized and make sure I have the stuff to do the projects. I'm finding, I want to do something other than paperwork. I think I've reached the point of I'm ready to relinquish that responsibility to the lawyer. Since by law in FL I have to use a lawyer, might as well make them earn that paycheck!

Best go start sorting the laundry. Mike goes into work at 3:30. It's discount car seat exchange days at Toys R Us. They're taking gently used baby clothing this year too. I'm not sure if that's system wide or just here at Mike's store. Vietnam Veterans will be picking up on 2/22. Their in need of men's clothing, so I'm going to go through Howard's closet and drawers this week.

Prayers for those in need: for peace, comfort, strength, and healing. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings... including Jerrod's recovering health. He was sent home from the hospital last night. He's still with his mom, but once his income tax check is deposited, he'll be finding an apartment with the friend that saved his life last week.

Navy Wife
February 11th, 2018, 07:01 PM
I can't believe how many have rain (and snow). We have had a deluge, and have been under a flood watch since yesterday morning. So far no problems for us, but we live on top of a big hill. Our lawn had big puddles this morning. Better rain than snow, especially here. The cities (3) and counties (2), handle it pretty well. The citizens, not so great. They all remind me of teenagers taking the car out for the first time!

At church this morning, the choir director moved me to a new chair. When we left the choir loft, I found out why. He helped me down the 2 steps into the sanctuary! I'm about the oldest woman in the choir, and the same age as his mother! I told him I could manage by myself, and I thanked him! He's a real sweetie!

I finished putting away stuff in the sewing room. It was just stuff, not much fabric or other pretties. Now I'm waiting for the roast to finish cooking and watching the speed skating.

I hope you all have a good week. Stay away from the flu. Prayers for those in need.

Linda

SuzanneOrleansOntario
February 12th, 2018, 10:27 AM
Good Morning ~ Terry, you are the early bird today. When I lived in Mich., there was a swampy area near our place in the country. We could hear the frogs. We called them peepers. One year I caught several tad poles, brought them in the house in an aquarium & watched them develop. No peepers here. It's bitter cold this a.m. -- only 8 deg. It snowed much of the morning yest. Total was maybe 2". Our neighbor shoveled the front. Our snow angel from church shoveled the back patio & a path to our shed.

I had a frustrating afternoon with the Tiara II. Broke 2 needles, stitching wasn't right, etc. I talked to the service man at the LQS who gave me some ideas. That didn't do the trick. I'm wondering if it needs service. So I walked away, switched gears, & started piecing some Quarter Log Cabin blocks. I saw the pattern on the Hyacinth Quilt Designs blog. She made her blocks only 6". I decided to use charms & add 2.5" strips, which makes a 9" block. I'm using Kaffe Fassett charms & batiks strips, which I'm cutting from 10" pre-cuts I have on hand. It's bright & colorful.

Colorado's 17 y.o. Red Gerard took the first gold medal for the U.S. last night at the Olympics in the snowboarding. I enjoy watching the figure skating.

Today is my Sun. to play the organ. Time to get on with my day.

Good morning, I have a Sweet 16 which is basically the Tiara. I don't know but I get down and clean out the bobbin area everytime I need a new bobbin, so it stays pretty lint free the other day I used a new blush brush and I got stuff I had not caught with regular brush and pipe cleaner. Just in case. The other thing I do is iold the bobbin case with every bobbin change. I don't know if you are on Facebook, but there is a group called Handi Quilter a Sweet 16 and it offers great tips on what to try before getting it serviced. There are many people who own the Tiara and other similar machines. Worth a try. Good luck.