PDA

View Full Version : Another browser problem

Hulamoon
February 9th, 2018, 06:09 PM
Sometimes my computer shuts down and when I restart it goes right to Microsoft Edge even though I installed Chrome as my main browser. Now Chrome won't open and I think I have to reinstall. Edge isn't giving me any problems right now, but I'm wondering why this happens? I don't want to uninstall Edge because I'm afraid I'll lose access to the internet.

KPH
February 9th, 2018, 07:48 PM
Lorie, I hope someone comes that can give you an answer. It won't be me, but I'll commiserate with you. I use edge, and have foxfire too. Sometimes I hate Edge, sometimes I hate Foxfire, but can't do without the internet.

Carlie Wolf
February 9th, 2018, 08:12 PM
A lot of these programs just don't play nice with each other. I'm not familiar with Edge. I've noticed annoying changes to my computer after "security updates"...often. It also seems like you have to change settings in a million places when you download some programs, even the more well known ones. Sometimes uninstalling and then reinstalling helps but I think you already know this so I know I'm not much help. :-(

auntstuff
February 9th, 2018, 08:29 PM
You have to go find the "make this my default browser" button to fix that. I wish I could remember where to look for it.

Hulamoon
February 9th, 2018, 11:13 PM
The reason I switched to Chrome was because of problems getting to my Pinterest food page. I'm not going to fuss with this until that happens again. Knock on wood. What does knock on wood mean anyway? lol

Gloriana
February 10th, 2018, 12:40 AM
Open Google Chrome, go to "Customize and Control Google Chrome" which is the long way of saying "look for the 3 vertical dots at the top of the page on the right hand side", right beside the Star that bookmarks the page. Go down to Settings (almost at the bottom), and the third or fourth box down allows you to make Google Chrome your default browser.

Midge
February 10th, 2018, 12:52 AM
Gloriana has it right. Lorie in case you are having trouble with other programs there is a general way to set the defaults in Win10. Click on the start window icon on the lower left of your screen and then click on Settings which is the gear icon. You will see a text box at the top. In that text box type set default ______ browser, for example, or music player. You will get a list with options and can select one.

Star lover
February 10th, 2018, 07:41 AM
The reason I switched to Chrome was because of problems getting to my Pinterest food page. I'm not going to fuss with this until that happens again. Knock on wood. What does knock on wood mean anyway? lol

Mmmmmmm Lorie:

Before Christianity and Islam came around to spoil the party with their rules about idolatry, many pagan groups and other cultures—from Ireland to India to elsewhere in the world—worshipped or mythologized trees. Some peoples used trees as oracles, some incorporated them into worship rituals and some, like the ancient Celts, regarded them as the homes of certain spirits and gods.

The first possible origin of knocking on wood is that it's a much more laid-back version of the ruckus that pagan Europeans raised to chase away evil spirits from their homes and trees or to prevent them from hearing about, and ruining, a person’s good luck.

The other origin suggested is that some of these tree worshippers laid their hands on a tree when asking for favor from the spirits/gods that lived inside it, or did it after a run of good luck as a show of gratitude to the supernatural powers. Over the centuries, the religious rite may have morphed into the superstitious knock that acknowledges luck and keeps it going.

In either case, you are seeking protection against envy and anger. The envy of evil spirits and the anger of the gods, who take a dim view on mortals bearing too much pride and who get especially annoyed when they're responsible for your run of good luck and you're not grateful.

Not sure if it's true, but here it is......

grammaterry
February 10th, 2018, 09:49 PM
Yes, and here in the south the superstition is high. If you are talking to someone and someone else has had a run of bad luck, you thank your stars that everything is right Then, we say, "knock on wood" and start searching for a nearby wooden something to knock on. DH has lots of superstitions....if the broom hits your feet you could go to jail, a whistling maid inside the house will bring ill wind, If you go out one door you must come back in the same door to maintain balance....