View Full Version : biopsy is over - a bit wordy

February 9th, 2018, 03:50 PM
Well, yesterday was the biopsy. DH is always worried about being late, so about 10:20 he was ready to go (keep in mind we live about 10 minutes from the hospital and we were supposed to be there at 11. Needless to say, we pulled up to the door about 10:31. We had been told there was a sign outside that said "outpatient" but we did not see it, but it was the door between emergency and the main entrance. No wheelchairs as we were told. He sat down and I went into patient registration and asked how to get to Outpatient Surgery. The girl there asked me my name and she him checked in right there. They provided a wheel chair and told us to go up the elevator to 2nd, turn left and we would be right there. We did but it wasn't. It was radiology. I went in and asked how to get to outpatient and a very nice lady there told me and even walked us down there.

We went in and told the girl there we were here. She looked him up and said he should have registered in Outpatient, not patient registration (how was I to know). Anyway, we went through the whole registration thing again. The girl even called down and told the person down there not to register their patients. Now it is after 11. They call him back and by 11:40 he was prepped and ready to go. Then we were told he was scheduled for 1 p.m. What??? Why were we here to early? No one told us the time of the procedure, just what time we were supposed to be there.

Slowly the hands of the clock turn and 1 p.m. comes around. A nurse comes in and says they are backed up in emergency -- several emergencies -- and he has been pushed back to 1:30. At 1:35, I went out to the desk and asked how much longer, that we had been told he had been pushed back to 1:30. Someone called and now they were hoping to get him there around 2. Finally, a little after 2, a guy came in to take him down and I went out to start my vigil in the waiting room -- on some not very comfortable chairs.

He was having fluid drained from around his right lung and then the liver biopsy. Around 3:30, a nurse came out and said they had drained around the lung, but when they were doing the ultrasound for the biopsy, they discovered he had fluid in his abdominal area. He has been telling people he was ready to deliver twins!! Finally, around 5 p.m., a nurse came in (I was the only one left in the waiting room) and said she would take me down to the radiology waiting room because he would be discharged from there. About 15 - 20 min. later, another nurse came in and asked if I wanted to go see him. Well, they didn't have to ask twice!! I was told he wouldn't be discharged until 7:30 p.m.

During the draining procedures, they took 1 1/2 liters of fluid from around his right lung and 3 liters from his abdominal area. I was shocked! Unfortunately, it will take about 4 days to get any results back and the oncologist would call when he gets them.

Sorry this is so wordy, but it was a very long day.


February 9th, 2018, 03:55 PM
Wow, so much to go through. Not an easy day for either of you. I guess he delivered those twins...

Hope he is feeling better after that fluid has been drained. Will add prayers for a good outcome from the biopsy.

Star lover
February 9th, 2018, 04:19 PM
Thank you for the update. Waiting has got to be the worse! And when the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing....ugh!
Thankful for y'all it's over and now another kind of waiting. You will both be in my prayers. Love and big hugs!

Granny Fran
February 9th, 2018, 04:23 PM
OMG, what a day! Waiting for results is always the hardest part of these things. Will keep you in my prayers.

Patty J
February 9th, 2018, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the update, I feel very badly for you, all that waiting in a hospital can be nerve wracking. With that much fluid removed it should make him feel better. Prayers continue for you and DH (it wasn't easy on him either) been there done that before.

February 9th, 2018, 04:44 PM
I understand days like that. I hope you hear from the oncologist soon. (((HUGS))) to you both.

February 9th, 2018, 05:00 PM
What a day! I hope you both are able to relax and recover today, although I suspect you're busy being a good caregiver to your DH. Praying for good news.

Judy, USMC
February 9th, 2018, 05:00 PM
Waiting and uncertainty ... the hardest things to deal with. Take care of him and yourself until the results come in. I know he will feel better now the fluid is off; Steve did. Hoping for the best for you two.

February 9th, 2018, 05:07 PM
Im glad you are keeping us updated. Take care!

February 9th, 2018, 05:13 PM
What a nightmare. Hope hubby feels better and the results are good. Prayers for you both.

February 9th, 2018, 05:46 PM
Thank you for keeping all of us informed. I know your day was challenging, but try to get some rest while you can. Lifting you and yours in prayer. Stay strong!

February 9th, 2018, 05:47 PM
Thank you for the update. I know waiting is hard so I am sending extra hugs and saying some extra prayers for you and you DH.

February 9th, 2018, 06:14 PM
I feel for you......things like this make for long days.

A gal I used to work with went thru ovarian cancer last year. She also got several liters of fluid drained from her abdomen. It seems she had that procedure done a couple times. She had chemo most of the year, plus a major surgery. She is now in remission with a great outlook. Miracles do happen!

February 9th, 2018, 06:27 PM
That day sounds exhausting. Glad he was able to get all that fluid drained, and is hopefully feeling much better. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for the next step.

February 9th, 2018, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the update. Sorry you had such a frustrating & tiring day. Breathing certainly should be easier with all that fluid off there -- both lung & abdomen. I can't believe you had to wait several days to have the procedure. The needle aspiration should have been done much sooner, IMO. Waiting for test results is just the pits. I hope you get some answers soon. Thoughts & prayers going your way. Hang in there.

Simply Quilting
February 9th, 2018, 07:23 PM
Wow, what a day. Thank you for the update. Continued prayers for both of you.

Tracie T
February 9th, 2018, 08:27 PM
Oh my goodness! I'd say that was quite a day! I'm sorry you had to go all through that. I will continue to pray for your husband and for you as well.

February 9th, 2018, 09:16 PM
Thanks for keeping us updated, what a day!! Take care both of you whilst you wait for the results.

Hugs and best wishes.

February 9th, 2018, 09:20 PM
You both certainly had a long and stressful day...I hope you receive word soon from the oncologist...I hope your husband is feeling better after all the fluid was removed...

February 9th, 2018, 10:40 PM
Wow, what a day you had. Glad that much is behind you and hope he is feeling a little better today. Thanks for the update - will continue to remember you both in prayer.

February 9th, 2018, 10:58 PM
Congratulations to both of you for getting through this day!! Be proud of yourself for your self control in not blowing your top by having to endure one delay after another. You probably felt like screaming!! Hoping for quick results and a positive outcome.

February 9th, 2018, 11:22 PM
I've had days like that too, where you seem to "hurry up and wait" all day. My husband has to have fluid drained from his abdomen periodically, and he notices an immediate difference in how he feels and in his breathing. I hope your husband will find some relief as well, and that you will have the results soon and a plan in place. Sending a prayer and a hug!

Debbie Watters
February 9th, 2018, 11:57 PM
Prayers being sent ... remember to take care of yourself ...

February 10th, 2018, 02:31 AM
Hoping hemis feeling better and you both get a good nights sleep after such a long day. Keeping you in prayers for positive results.

Connie Jo
February 10th, 2018, 10:47 AM
Oh Nancy. You had to have just been exhausted. Maybe with all the fluid gone he will have a good weekend. Still praying for you and your family.

February 10th, 2018, 04:50 PM
Praying for both of you. One day at a time.

February 12th, 2018, 01:49 AM
Thanks for keeping us informed. Hoping he feels better without all of that fluid in his lungs and abdomen. Continuing prayers for both of you.

Granny Judy
February 12th, 2018, 05:03 AM
Thank you for the update... as others have said.. and I too am including prayers for you both. Deep Breathes and take just one day at a time.

February 12th, 2018, 09:51 AM
I have come to learn that any encounter with medical appointments take longer than planned. He was fortunate they also removed the fluid in his stomach while he was there. Hopefully you will be able to take some time together to recover from the procedure.
Sending positive vibes your way.

February 12th, 2018, 10:00 AM
What a day for sure. That will no doubt be the longest 4 days (at least). I hope your loving DH is feeling better having had that fluid drained. Continued prayers.

February 12th, 2018, 12:14 PM
My goodness, this was an ordeal for you as well as DH. THis is the part where patience is virtue I guess. My prayers are with you.

February 16th, 2018, 04:11 PM
Don't you just love hospitals? You hurry, they don't. Sure hope everything goes okay for you & your hubby. I'll be praying for you.