• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BethB
    The Guild President
    • Oct 2014

biopsy is over - a bit wordy

Well, yesterday was the biopsy. DH is always worried about being late, so about 10:20 he was ready to go (keep in mind we live about 10 minutes from the hospital and we were supposed to be there at 11. Needless to say, we pulled up to the door about 10:31. We had been told there was a sign outside that said "outpatient" but we did not see it, but it was the door between emergency and the main entrance. No wheelchairs as we were told. He sat down and I went into patient registration and asked how to get to Outpatient Surgery. The girl there asked me my name and she him checked in right there. They provided a wheel chair and told us to go up the elevator to 2nd, turn left and we would be right there. We did but it wasn't. It was radiology. I went in and asked how to get to outpatient and a very nice lady there told me and even walked us down there.

We went in and told the girl there we were here. She looked him up and said he should have registered in Outpatient, not patient registration (how was I to know). Anyway, we went through the whole registration thing again. The girl even called down and told the person down there not to register their patients. Now it is after 11. They call him back and by 11:40 he was prepped and ready to go. Then we were told he was scheduled for 1 p.m. What??? Why were we here to early? No one told us the time of the procedure, just what time we were supposed to be there.

Slowly the hands of the clock turn and 1 p.m. comes around. A nurse comes in and says they are backed up in emergency -- several emergencies -- and he has been pushed back to 1:30. At 1:35, I went out to the desk and asked how much longer, that we had been told he had been pushed back to 1:30. Someone called and now they were hoping to get him there around 2. Finally, a little after 2, a guy came in to take him down and I went out to start my vigil in the waiting room -- on some not very comfortable chairs.

He was having fluid drained from around his right lung and then the liver biopsy. Around 3:30, a nurse came out and said they had drained around the lung, but when they were doing the ultrasound for the biopsy, they discovered he had fluid in his abdominal area. He has been telling people he was ready to deliver twins!! Finally, around 5 p.m., a nurse came in (I was the only one left in the waiting room) and said she would take me down to the radiology waiting room because he would be discharged from there. About 15 - 20 min. later, another nurse came in and asked if I wanted to go see him. Well, they didn't have to ask twice!! I was told he wouldn't be discharged until 7:30 p.m.

During the draining procedures, they took 1 1/2 liters of fluid from around his right lung and 3 liters from his abdominal area. I was shocked! Unfortunately, it will take about 4 days to get any results back and the oncologist would call when he gets them.

Sorry this is so wordy, but it was a very long day.

Nancy
  • Kgrammiecaz
    Missouri Star
    • May 2013

Re: biopsy is over - a bit wordy

Wow, so much to go through. Not an easy day for either of you. I guess he delivered those twins...

Hope he is feeling better after that fluid has been drained. Will add prayers for a good outcome from the biopsy.
    Karen
    Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

• Star lover
      Missouri Star
      • Apr 2016

Thank you for the update. Waiting has got to be the worse! And when the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing....ugh!
      Thankful for y'all it's over and now another kind of waiting. You will both be in my prayers. Love and big hugs!

Comment

• Granny Fran
        Missouri Star
        • Apr 2014

OMG, what a day! Waiting for results is always the hardest part of these things. Will keep you in my prayers.
        No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
        Aesop

Comment

• Patty J
          Missouri Star
          • Jan 2012

Thanks for the update, I feel very badly for you, all that waiting in a hospital can be nerve wracking. With that much fluid removed it should make him feel better. Prayers continue for you and DH (it wasn't easy on him either) been there done that before.

Comment

• Bubby
            Missouri Star
            • Jun 2011

I understand days like that. I hope you hear from the oncologist soon. (((HUGS))) to you both.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• GuitarGramma
              Missouri Star
              • Apr 2012

What a day! I hope you both are able to relax and recover today, although I suspect you're busy being a good caregiver to your DH. Praying for good news.
              Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• Judy, USMC
                Missouri Star
                • May 2013

Waiting and uncertainty ... the hardest things to deal with. Take care of him and yourself until the results come in. I know he will feel better now the fluid is off; Steve did. Hoping for the best for you two.

Comment

• mommadeb
                  Missouri Star
                  • Dec 2011

I´m glad you are keeping us updated. Take care!

Comment

• Dollyquilts
                    The Guild President
                    • Jan 2014

What a nightmare. Hope hubby feels better and the results are good. Prayers for you both.

Comment

• KPH
                      Missouri Star
                      • Feb 2015

Thank you for keeping all of us informed. I know your day was challenging, but try to get some rest while you can. Lifting you and yours in prayer. Stay strong!
                      Katrina
                      From NC, retired in FL
                      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Astatoo
                        The Guild President
                        • Sep 2017

Thank you for the update. I know waiting is hard so I am sending extra hugs and saying some extra prayers for you and you DH.

Beth
                        Happiness is a FULL bobbin!

Comment

• bubba
                          Missouri Star
                          • Mar 2013

I feel for you......things like this make for long days.

A gal I used to work with went thru ovarian cancer last year. She also got several liters of fluid drained from her abdomen. It seems she had that procedure done a couple times. She had chemo most of the year, plus a major surgery. She is now in remission with a great outlook. Miracles do happen!
                          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• KarenC
                            Missouri Star
                            • Apr 2015

That day sounds exhausting. Glad he was able to get all that fluid drained, and is hopefully feeling much better. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for the next step.
                            Karen
                            Spring, TX

Comment

• JCY
                              Missouri Star
                              • Jul 2013

Thanks for the update. Sorry you had such a frustrating & tiring day. Breathing certainly should be easier with all that fluid off there -- both lung & abdomen. I can't believe you had to wait several days to have the procedure. The needle aspiration should have been done much sooner, IMO. Waiting for test results is just the pits. I hope you get some answers soon. Thoughts & prayers going your way. Hang in there.

Comment

Working...
                              X