PDA

View Full Version : Iím baaaaack

Grampz
February 9th, 2018, 02:56 AM
My Dear Grandquilterz,
A lot has happened since I last posted. Pull up a chair and let me tell you a few thingz.

I was elected VFW State Jr Vice Commander. Iíve been so busy since then. Itís hard to believe I only have 3 more months left in the position. In June Iíll be elected Sr Vice Commander. Since being elected I had the pleasure of attending the 118th VFW National Convention in New Orleans. I attended Jr Vice Commander Training in Kansas City Mo. I attended Western Conference in San Diago, California. I traveled all over Utah visiting the posts. While attending to the needs of one post I realized I needed to intervene to keep the post from folding. So, on top of an already busy schedule I became a Post Commander.

Exciting News!!! My oldest son will be getting maried in March. He asked me to be his best man. Iím making a quilt for them. Her parents sent me some old clothing so I can do a scrappy quilt. Yes, I said Iím making a scrappy quilt. Call me crazy. We will drive from Utah to South Carolina.

I was asked to do a PSA about my experience with PTSD. Here is the link if youíd like to see it. Please share this if you like it.
https://www.facebook.com/VFWFans/videos/10154722426057136/

Itís late I need to get to bed.

Sending you all Luvz, Hugz, & Prayerz
Grampz

shawnan
February 9th, 2018, 03:47 AM
Welcome back and thank you for your service, and so great you are working through your PTSD.

GuitarGramma
February 9th, 2018, 04:48 AM
It's good to see you back! Sounds like life has been exciting!

Monique
February 9th, 2018, 07:57 AM
Welcome back. My, you have been busy. Congratulations on your son's upcoming wedding. That says a lot to me that your son asked you to be his best man. WOW!! Don't forget to show us the quilt when you are done.

KarenC
February 9th, 2018, 09:04 AM
Welcome back, and thanks for your service. Congrats on the upcoming wedding in the family, and to be asked to be bestman for your son will make it extra special. Sounds like you have had a busy year and next year will be also with the promotion from Jr to Sr.

Bubby
February 9th, 2018, 09:36 AM
Welcome back, Grampz! I watched your PSA and I admire all that you are doing for others to help them with their PTSD struggles. You're really busy right now...thanks for remembering us. Pop in when you can...we will save your place here.

Great hearing from you!

Sandy Navas
February 9th, 2018, 10:11 AM
Do you accept hugs? What about those with a few tears to wet your shoulder? From one Viet Nam era vet to another! Looking good!

Astatoo
February 9th, 2018, 10:17 AM
Welcome back! And a big thanks, that is an awesome PSA, my son recently started a support group for local Veterans many of whom are suffering from PTSD.

Carlie Wolf
February 9th, 2018, 10:56 AM
Wonderful video Grampz. I think you hit the nail on the head. PTSD is a disruption of peoples identity, it shakes them to the core. I think once we begin to reconnect and honor who we are, we are on the road to recovery. I've seen so many people come back from PTSD much stronger a person then they could have been otherwise. Thank you for reaching back a hand to those who are walking behind you to let them know they too can move through it. I remember a patient telling their therapist, don't be afraid..I'm not really falling apart...I'm coming together.

Grampz
February 9th, 2018, 11:47 AM
Do you accept hugs? What about those with a few tears to wet your shoulder? From one Viet Nam era vet to another! Looking good!
I wouldn’t be a true Grampz if I didn’t accept Hugz. lol. Thank you for your service and welcome home!

Grampz
February 9th, 2018, 11:48 AM
Welcome back and thank you for your service, and so great you are working through your PTSD.

I got into sewing and quilting to help with my PTSD. Love it

Grampz
February 9th, 2018, 11:49 AM
It's good to see you back! Sounds like life has been exciting!

Life is full of excitement. Just had to reprogram my brain.

KPH
February 9th, 2018, 11:50 AM
Welcome back Busy Grampz!

I totally get how busy the VFW can be, my uncle was elected president of the Fleet Marine, once he stepped down my aunt was elected president of the Women's Axillary for about 4 years, they traveled all over the country and they loved every minute of it.

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding. It sounds like you'll still be busy once your term is over.

Grampz
February 9th, 2018, 11:50 AM
Welcome back. My, you have been busy. Congratulations on your son's upcoming wedding. That says a lot to me that your son asked you to be his best man. WOW!! Don't forget to show us the quilt when you are done.
Thank you. I’m so excited. I really like the young lady he chose to marry.

Grampz
February 9th, 2018, 11:53 AM
Welcome back, and thanks for your service. Congrats on the upcoming wedding in the family, and to be asked to be bestman for your son will make it extra special. Sounds like you have had a busy year and next year will be also with the promotion from Jr to Sr.

It sure has been busy. But I love it. Advocating for and on behalf of Veterans and their families is my favorite part of the day

Grampz
February 9th, 2018, 11:55 AM
Welcome back, Grampz! I watched your PSA and I admire all that you are doing for others to help them with their PTSD struggles. You're really busy right now...thanks for remembering us. Pop in when you can...we will save your place here.

Great hearing from you!

Thank you for watching my PSA. Please share it with others. The more veterans that see it the more we can save.

Grampz
February 9th, 2018, 11:57 AM
Welcome back! And a big thanks, that is an awesome PSA, my son recently started a support group for local Veterans many of whom are suffering from PTSD.

Tell your Son thank you from this ole Sarge. Please share my video with him too and as many as you can. Help me get the word out that it’s possible to be more than PTSD.

Grampz
February 9th, 2018, 11:59 AM
Wonderful video Grampz. I think you hit the nail on the head. PTSD is a disruption of peoples identity, it shakes them to the core. I think once we begin to reconnect and honor who we are, we are on the road to recovery. I've seen so many people come back from PTSD much stronger a person then they could have been otherwise. Thank you for reaching back a hand to those who are walking behind you to let them know they too can move through it. I remember a patient telling their therapist, don't be afraid..I'm not really falling apart...I'm coming together.
Thank you very much for watching the PSA. Please share with as many people as you can.

Grampz
February 9th, 2018, 12:00 PM
Welcome back Busy Grampz!

I totally get how busy the VFW can be, my uncle was elected president of the Fleet Marine, once he stepped down my aunt was elected president of the Women's Axillary for about 4 years, they traveled all over the country and they loved every minute of it.

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding. It sounds like you'll still be busy once your term is over.
Give your Aunt and uncle a big hug from ole Grampz here. Thank you for your comments.

cv quilter
February 9th, 2018, 09:16 PM
My Dear Grandquilterz,
A lot has happened since I last posted. Pull up a chair and let me tell you a few thingz.

I was elected VFW State Jr Vice Commander. Iíve been so busy since then. Itís hard to believe I only have 3 more months left in the position. In June Iíll be elected Sr Vice Commander. Since being elected I had the pleasure of attending the 118th VFW National Convention in New Orleans. I attended Jr Vice Commander Training in Kansas City Mo. I attended Western Conference in San Diago, California. I traveled all over Utah visiting the posts. While attending to the needs of one post I realized I needed to intervene to keep the post from folding. So, on top of an already busy schedule I became a Post Commander.

Exciting News!!! My oldest son will be getting maried in March. He asked me to be his best man. Iím making a quilt for them. Her parents sent me some old clothing so I can do a scrappy quilt. Yes, I said Iím making a scrappy quilt. Call me crazy. We will drive from Utah to South Carolina.

I was asked to do a PSA about my experience with PTSD. Here is the link if youíd like to see it. Please share this if you like it.
https://www.facebook.com/VFWFans/videos/10154722426057136/

Itís late I need to get to bed.

Sending you all Luvz, Hugz, & Prayerz
Grampz

Dear Grampz, GOD Bless you. What a blessing you are and I do hope you are successful in all your endeavors. I worked in a Vet Center serving Viet Nam and combat vets and I know the important work/service you do.

cv quilter
February 9th, 2018, 09:19 PM
Dear Grampz, GOD Bless you. What a blessing you are and I do hope you are successful in all your endeavors. I worked in a Vet Center serving Viet Nam and combat vets and I know the important work/service you do.

I have tried to watch your link and I get part of it and then it stalls/stops. I am watching and praying for you and for your work in this effort.

Yanna
February 9th, 2018, 09:39 PM
Thank you for your service Grampz.

MSN
February 9th, 2018, 10:29 PM
Wow, that PSA is powerful! Thank you for your service to our country, and thank you for sharing your personal story with the world. I know it will help a lot of other veterans. And another big thank you for your continuing service through the VFW. I work at a VA hospital, and see all the good that these veterans' organizations do.

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding. So glad you like your future daughter-in-law. Can't wait to see pics of the quilt!

Cokie
February 9th, 2018, 11:48 PM
I too watched your PSA. Thanks for sharing your story. My son suffers from PTSD and as a result, he has cut himself off from a lot of people, including family. I hope some day he will realize that he still has value as a person just because he is, and not because of what he has done. Thanks for sharing with us.

Grampz
February 10th, 2018, 02:39 PM

Thank you very much

Grampz
February 10th, 2018, 02:40 PM
I have tried to watch your link and I get part of it and then it stalls/stops. I am watching and praying for you and for your work in this effort.
I’m sorry. I’m not tech savvy. Not sure how to help. But thanks for trying to watch

Grampz
February 10th, 2018, 02:41 PM
Thank you for your service Grampz.

Loved every second of my career. Miss it a ton!

Grampz
February 10th, 2018, 02:44 PM
Wow, that PSA is powerful! Thank you for your service to our country, and thank you for sharing your personal story with the world. I know it will help a lot of other veterans. And another big thank you for your continuing service through the VFW. I work at a VA hospital, and see all the good that these veterans' organizations do.

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding. So glad you like your future daughter-in-law. Can't wait to see pics of the quilt!

Thank you for your comments. Thank you for helping all my “bruthas” & “sistas” at the VA. Give them an extra hug from ole Sarge here

Grampz
February 10th, 2018, 02:48 PM
I too watched your PSA. Thanks for sharing your story. My son suffers from PTSD and as a result, he has cut himself off from a lot of people, including family. I hope some day he will realize that he still has value as a person just because he is, and not because of what he has done. Thanks for sharing with us.

I isolated too. I pray he can get a chance to see my PSA and realize it’s ok not to be ok. Tell him Ole Sarge said to get his butt to a professional and get the help he earned. He earned the right to be happy. He earned the right to enjoy people around him and he earned the right to feel the love of his family.

I’m sending you a PM with my number

Sending prayers hugs and love to your whole family

Sylvia H
February 10th, 2018, 03:06 PM
Thank you for your service - then and now. I have shared your video as well. I am so glad to know that you were able to deal with your PTSD; that is awesome. Congratulations on your son's up coming wedding. I also am looking forward to that finished quilt.

Altairss
February 10th, 2018, 03:15 PM
Thank you for your service Grampz and glad to see you back! I have shared your video as this is such an important message. I have many Veterans in my family and as this also applies to those with depression I shared for that as well.

Sandy Thank you for your service and on behalf of all in my family and my Brother who served in Nam, Welcome Home!! We are glad you are here.

Grampz
February 10th, 2018, 03:25 PM
Thank you for your service Grampz and glad to see you back! I have shared your video as this is such an important message. I have many Veterans in my family and as this also applies to those with depression I shared for that as well.

Sandy Thank you for your service and on behalf of all in my family and my Brother who served in Nam, Welcome Home!! We are glad you are here.

Thank you so much for sharing. I want others to know itís ok not to be ok. That they can get there. Be #MoreThan

MSN
February 10th, 2018, 06:48 PM
Thank you for your comments. Thank you for helping all my ďbruthasĒ & ďsistasĒ at the VA. Give them an extra hug from ole Sarge here

I sure will!

pcbatiks
February 10th, 2018, 06:59 PM
Grampz, what a wonderful PSA. It is an important message. I will share it also. Thank you for your service and all that you are currently doing to help other veterans. You truly understand what other veterans may be dealing with.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding too!

Grampz
February 11th, 2018, 03:10 AM
Grampz, what a wonderful PSA. It is an important message. I will share it also. Thank you for your service and all that you are currently doing to help other veterans. You truly understand what other veterans may be dealing with.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding too!
Thank you for the kind words and for sharing my PSA

Granny Judy
February 11th, 2018, 05:58 AM
So happy to see you here, again. Life just keeps movin' on. Hugz and a few tears for you and all you do for others from another Vet...

Grampz
February 12th, 2018, 01:05 AM
So happy to see you here, again. Life just keeps movin' on. Hugz and a few tears for you and all you do for others from another Vet...
It’s great to be seen again.

auntiemern
February 12th, 2018, 01:30 AM
Welcome back. Thank you for your service then, and now. What a powerful PSA. My hubby also is a Viet Nam vet, that suffers from PTSD...unless you live with it, you have no idea. I have gladly shared your message. Congrats on the upcoming wedding. What an honor to be the best man.

Grampz
February 12th, 2018, 10:22 AM
Welcome back. Thank you for your service then, and now. What a powerful PSA. My hubby also is a Viet Nam vet, that suffers from PTSD...unless you live with it, you have no idea. I have gladly shared your message. Congrats on the upcoming wedding. What an honor to be the best man.

It’s great to see you Auntiemern. Thank you for sharing my PSA it’s important to me to get the word out that it’s ok not to be ok. It’s ok to ask for help.