PDA

View Full Version : Post-Polio Syndrome

SuzanneOrleansOntario
February 8th, 2018, 09:03 PM
My DH is older than me, and when he was 8 and living in Wichita, KS, he contracted polio. This was before the immunization was developed. He was one of the lucky ones, as he was only hospitalized for 4-6 weeks. He was not on iron lung as many of his age were. Howver, he was left with mild paralysis on his left side. He was schooled by a tutored at home for a god part of the year, and his mom, a nurse, did the physio and exercises.

There was not much known then or now, how it would develop or affect a person as he aged. He was a very athletic person, even ran a marathon, did cliff climbing and lots of sports. However, he is getting older and now they say that his fatigue is a part of the polio. He must rest for days after periods of brief physical activity. He is getting very frustrated.

I am wondering if any of you have experienced post polio with family or friends and know what may come next. He will be 74. I did have a friend whose father was in a wheelchair from about the age of 40, but his polio was worse as he was in his3 0s when he got it.

Thanks for your comments.

KarenC
February 8th, 2018, 09:16 PM
Suzanne, sorry to hear your DH is suffering with this. I have no advice since I don't know anyone personally who has suffered with polio.

KPH
February 8th, 2018, 10:14 PM
My sister in law had polio as a child. She also suffered from many other ailments. Her life was challenging on so many fronts. From Manic Depressive, Bipolar, the polio that left her left leg deformed, breast cancer, bone infections that just would not heal. She suffered for so long. Unfortunately, we couldn't be around her because she'd literally threaten us. She attempted suicide so many times over the course of 36 years of marriage.

It sounds like your DH is in a better boat than she was in, but I am so sorry that your family is having to deal with the aftermath of this horrible disease. Lifting you and yours in prayer.

jjkaiser
February 8th, 2018, 11:37 PM
I have no info or advice but I am sorry you are going through this. It must be stressful for both of you. Is this fatigue thing something that came on suddenly or has it been going on for a few years? Maybe his medication needs to be adjusted? Sometimes I feel like I could sleep for days too and I don't have any health problems. Sometimes you just have to let the body lead the way, if you are tired then sleep if your schedule allows.

JCY
February 8th, 2018, 11:45 PM
I had a co-worker when I worked at the hosp. who had Post Polio Syndrome. She's the only person I know who's had this. According to the web sites, 25-50%, maybe more, of polio survivors have this syndrome. If you're interested in more detailed info., visit one of the medical web sites like Medicine.net or the Mayo Clinic. There's is plenty of info. on the web to help you be more informed. So sorry you're having to deal with this.

Debbie Watters
February 9th, 2018, 01:01 AM
I have nothing to add as I don't know of anyone who has/had polio. Prayers sent for you and your husband.

Star lover
February 9th, 2018, 07:45 AM
So sorry for your husband and you. I never even knew this existed, or anyone who had polio, so I'm no help......figure you need prayers, love and big hugs!

Monique
February 9th, 2018, 07:49 AM
I am of no help either, but I will say prayers.

Jean Sewing Machine
February 9th, 2018, 08:40 AM
I had a dear friend who had polio as a youth and lived most of his life with very little limit on his mobility. He used leg braces and canes later in his life. In his last years, he had to rely more and more on adaptive technology to get around. He was an excellent driver, and when my husband had to have 5 weeks of radiation, our friend picked him up every day and took him so I could continue to work. He eventually had to rely on a power chair to get around. He was diagnosed with cancer in his last year of life ( Late 70s) and passed away 6 months after diagnosis. The post polio syndrome affected him with pain and more loss of muscle control, which affected how he got around. Once he mentally adjusted to the idea of using the power chair, he was more mobile than trying to negotiate mobility with just braces and canes. We were always amazed at Jim's innovation for how he got around on his property--golf cart, riding lawn mower, they lived on a lake, so he loved driving his pontoon boat! He had a lift in his vehicle for his chair, how he managed all of this, I don't know, but he was amazing. I wish your husband much luck in the future for continued mobility. If it comes to him needing equipment to help him do what he wants to do, the technology is there and should be embraced, not feared. I had another neighbor who had polio, he was an amazing wheel chair athlete. The sky's the limit, just don't let post polio syndrome slow him down!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
February 9th, 2018, 10:56 AM
I have no info or advice but I am sorry you are going through this. It must be stressful for both of you. Is this fatigue thing something that came on suddenly or has it been going on for a few years? Maybe his medication needs to be adjusted? Sometimes I feel like I could sleep for days too and I don't have any health problems. Sometimes you just have to let the body lead the way, if you are tired then sleep if your schedule allows.

Thanks. There are no medications to take post-polio, but gentle exercise , followed by rest. He has been getting more tired over the years, but this does happen as we age. Muscle strength is being affected. It does seem to have aged him faster.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
February 9th, 2018, 11:05 AM
I had a dear friend who had polio as a youth and lived most of his life with very little limit on his mobility. He used leg braces and canes later in his life. In his last years, he had to rely more and more on adaptive technology to get around. He was an excellent driver, and when my husband had to have 5 weeks of radiation, our friend picked him up every day and took him so I could continue to work. He eventually had to rely on a power chair to get around. He was diagnosed with cancer in his last year of life ( Late 70s) and passed away 6 months after diagnosis. The post polio syndrome affected him with pain and more loss of muscle control, which affected how he got around. Once he mentally adjusted to the idea of using the power chair, he was more mobile than trying to negotiate mobility with just braces and canes. We were always amazed at Jim's innovation for how he got around on his property--golf cart, riding lawn mower, they lived on a lake, so he loved driving his pontoon boat! He had a lift in his vehicle for his chair, how he managed all of this, I don't know, but he was amazing. I wish your husband much luck in the future for continued mobility. If it comes to him needing equipment to help him do what he wants to do, the technology is there and should be embraced, not feared. I had another neighbor who had polio, he was an amazing wheel chair athlete. The sky's the limit, just don't let post polio syndrome slow him down!

Thank you. It is encouraging to hear. I know that the biggest challenge for him will be the mental adjustment to his limitations. We sail a racing catamaran and over the years we have limited this activity. Maybe it is more me looking for excuses not to go, as I see his pain. He so loves the sport, and dreams of summer weather just to get out. I have noticed that he does get frustrated when we need to get things done, and it takes him longer. He does like to be independent. I have a different attitude, that we could pay someone to do our chores. I should work on showing him this is better, and would give us time to enjoy other things that he likes to do.
I don't think he would hesitate to take advantage of technology if it got to that point, and we are fortunate that we would have the means.

Altairss
February 10th, 2018, 09:53 PM
My oldest brother got the vaccine about the same time he contracted polio. He was lucky and recovered quickly. He lived a relatively normal life with no major issues until he was in his 60's then a variety of symptoms began to appear. His doctor told him he had Post Polio Syndrome. It can vary for each person on which symptoms effect them the most. common symptoms are
Progressive muscle and joint weakness and pain.
General fatigue and exhaustion with minimal activity.
Muscle atrophy.
Breathing or swallowing problems.
Sleep-related breathing disorders, such as sleep apnea.
Decreased tolerance of cold temperatures.

For my brother he had decreased tolerance of cold some fatigue but for him the worst part was the swallowing problems over time he literally could not eat and was mostly down to a liquid diet but he lost so much weight he basically wasted away to nothing. It was a very hard thing for healthy person to suddenly be attacked by his own body for a disease he didn't really have.

I can tell you he lived his life to the fullest and refused to let anything stop him from enjoying the time he had left. He was told with the severity of the swallowing problem that it would be unlikely he would live as long as others that were more effected by the other symptoms. Time is relative if it takes you longer or you need a break to get things done that's okay you still get them done. He can still be active, have fun and enjoy life. Many blessings its a hard thing to go thru.

Tracie T
February 10th, 2018, 11:33 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. All I can offer are my prayers for your DH and you.