PDA

View Full Version : Monday Trivia: USA

Star lover
February 5th, 2018, 08:15 AM
And they continue......

- You can watch more than 100 ponies swim to Chincoteague Island every year in Virginia.

A herd of about 150 wild ponies spends most days munching wild marsh grasses, on the barrier island of Assateague off Virginia's Eastern Shore. But once a year, the ponies take a field trip to neighboring Chincoteague Island in dramatic fashion: They swim there.

Every year a group known as the “Saltwater Cowboys” rounds up the wild ponies, herds them down the Atlantic beaches and swims them across a small channel to the town of Chincoteague, Va. Along the way, the ponies are checked by veterinarians to be sure they’re strong enough to make the swim. Those that cannot are taken by boat instead.

Once ashore on Chincoteague, the ponies parade through town to the carnival grounds, where the foals are auctioned off to raise money for the Chincoteague Volunteer Fire Department, and to thin the herd enough that their island home can continue to sustain them. Each year, thousands of spectators come from all over the country to watch the swim and bid in the hopes of taking home one of the prized foals.

- In 1943, the temperature in Spearfish, South Dakota jumped 49 degrees in two minutes (-4F to 45F), one of the most drastic changes on record.

This phenomenon was caused when a frontal boundary separating extremely cold Arctic air from warmer Pacific air rolled like an ocean tide along the northern and eastern slopes of the Black Hills (Chinook). Suddenly, the chinook died down and the temperature tumbled back to −4 F or −20 C. The 58 F or 32.2 C drop took only 27 minutes. The sudden change in temperatures caused glass windows to crack and windshields to instantly frost over.

- The world's tiniest park is in Portland (naturally), measuring a mere two feet wide.

The world's smallest park was dedicated in 1948 as the only colony for leprechauns west of Ireland. Many residents in Portland have driven past Mill Ends Park dozens, nay hundreds of times, and never even noticed it was there. Deemed the world’s smallest city park in 1971 by the Guinness Book of World Records, the park is merely two feet wide, and lies in the median of the heavily trafficked Naito Parkway.

Dick Fagan wrote a very popular column about this park called Mill Ends, which is a lumber term for rough irregular ends of boards from lumber mills. The Park was dedicated on St. Patrick’s Day in 1948 by Fagan who wrote about the trials and tribulations of the park’s head leprechaun Patrick O’Toole, and according to Fagan the only group of leprechauns to establish a colony west of Ireland. He also claimed to be the only person who was able to see these leprechauns, and therefore had the exclusive scoop.

- The inventor of the Ouija board lived and died in Baltimore; his tombstone stands as a reflection of his achievement.

- The biggest signature in human history belongs to Texas farmer Jimmie Luecke. The three-mile landmark can be seen from space and is created from trees.

Thank you Sandy Navas. .........to be continued......

Debbie Watters
February 5th, 2018, 01:10 PM
Love it! Especially about the only colony for leprechauns west of Ireland that was established in the park!

You have great information that I am so glad you share daily with us ... thanks ...

grammaterry
February 5th, 2018, 01:16 PM
Todays trivia was certainly trivial. I am amazed. I loved the name made from trees, the park, ...all of it. Now if I can just remember the details long enough to share them.

LauraP
February 5th, 2018, 01:44 PM
My mother was living in Deadwood when this happened and would often tell us about it. Which Portland is the park in?

Star lover
February 5th, 2018, 01:54 PM
So sorry, Portland, Oregon!

Anitamae56
February 5th, 2018, 05:42 PM
That ALL was very interesting. Loved it all . Thank you!

KPH
February 5th, 2018, 08:21 PM
I've been to that park in Portland. Mom and I couldn't believe... that little bit in the middle of the road was a 'park'!