PDA

View Full Version : Shoes

Thimbelina
February 2nd, 2018, 01:39 PM
Who doesn't love a new pair of shoes???

I'm going on a trip to San Francisco and going to be doing a lot of walking. I want a comfy but cute shoe to take with me. I've looked online, and everything has good reviews and not so good reviews. What shoes (brands) do you love? What brands do you stay away from? I don't mind paying for quality IF I get quality.

Thanks!

Jean Sewing Machine
February 2nd, 2018, 03:38 PM
Ecco! I love my Eccos149979 that I bought to wear when I went to Europe. I have these closed toe ones for winter and open toe for summer. People stop me on the street asking what brand they are. Come in several colors.

Astatoo
February 2nd, 2018, 04:22 PM
I have always had good luck with Clarks brand, but my feet are weird, short with a wide toe area and skinny heels.

jjkaiser
February 2nd, 2018, 04:44 PM
The one and only time I went to SF I bought a pair of clogs about a month before to break them in. They were so cute and they went with all my outfits. They felt like bedroom slippers and I knew we would be doing a lot of walking. Yes they were comfy and nicely cushioned but my advice DON'T buy cloggs!! I had foot problems for three months after I got back. My friend, who is a foot doctor, said too many hills and no back support behind the heel you are asking for trouble. Have good trip and buy shoes with solid support. Your feet will thank you.

KPH
February 2nd, 2018, 05:14 PM
I like Clarks and Easy Spirits, too.

Beth, I know what you mean! I have the same predicament when it comes to finding shoes! The best fit I can get in a dress shoe is a mule with a back strap.

mpattylou
February 2nd, 2018, 06:17 PM
I like shoes with memory foam inside. Many brands to choose from....I actually like the $15 ones from Walmart. I also like Clark's, but the style I like is a clog....no back.

kaydee
February 2nd, 2018, 08:37 PM
I don't know how stylish you want to be, but I'd go to a good shoe store that sells New Balance and buy a good pair of Walking tennis shoes (i.e. sneakers) from New Balance (and also a replacement insert for arch support). Also, if you get sneakers, consider buying ones with the mesh toe front on the top. While I like the look of an all leather toe area, the mesh ones bend much nicer and are kinder to your feet.

If you don't want to wear sneakers, you might try Finn Comfort (very pricey but well worth it). Also the Dunham brand (owned now by New Balance) has excellent arch support. Clarks are quite popular with a lot of people. Also SAS would probably have a good walking shoe.

If you have a good independent shoe store near you, I'd suggest you just go in and ask them for the recommendations and try some on. Otherwise, try ordering off of Zappos which has free returns. Don't be afraid of your local shoe store -- the prices of the really good shoes seem to be the same on Zappos as in those stores. Zappos does, however, usually offer a larger selection of colors. However, if you're willing to wait, a good local shore should be able to order anything for you.

To be clear, I'm NOT suggesting you go to a place like Kohl's and get a pair of New Balance. You will bet a better style/quality from a higher priced shoe which will be found in an independent shoe store.

Also, if you end up with a shoe that doesn't have a lot of arch support, buy some good replacement inserts. They are well worth the additional cost for something like this. Again, a really good shoe store can help you with this. Here in Minnesota, I use Schuler Shoes. They have a web site, so you can get an idea of the kind of store I'm talking about. You kind of have to search these kind of shoe stores out, but once you find one, it will be your go-to place for shoes. Also, if you find one, check if they have a clearance room. Schuler Shoes has one, and it's the first place my daughter and I go to when shopping there. Good luck! And have fun in San Francisco!

JCY
February 2nd, 2018, 08:46 PM
I don't buy shoes for looks but for comfort. I've been wearing SAS shoes for >30 yrs. I buy the Siesta style, which is a lace shoe. They cost ~$110./pr., but they're worth it. When I was working as a nurse, I bought white ones for the hosp. At home I wear the bone color. It goes with everything. I always have to order mine, b/c they seldom have the color & style in the store in my size. I buy from an independent shoe store. I have other shoes I wear for church or dress-up. They also are SAS.

dwil23
February 2nd, 2018, 08:49 PM
Birkenstocks. They actually make shoes now - not just sandals, though the selection is minimal. I order straight from their website for best selection. I am on my feet at work all night long and these are the only ones that support my foot right, but everyone's feet are different. I live in the Madrid style when I am not working - but then again, I live in Florida so I can do that.

jjkaiser
February 2nd, 2018, 08:54 PM
Oh I love Birkenstocks!!! I forgot about those. I didn't even know those were still available. Now I want a pair, and I am not even going on a trip!

Mom23
February 2nd, 2018, 09:09 PM
Finn Comfort, Mephisto, Birkenstock are my usual brands. Anything with a good arch support. This post has me wanting some new shoes. I think I'll do a little online shopping!!

Thimbelina
February 2nd, 2018, 09:18 PM
Has anyone tried Taos shoes?

Carolnnc
February 2nd, 2018, 09:58 PM
Shoes are like bras, they come in many fits & styles since we aren't all the same:) It's good to find a store that will help find the best shoe for you.
We have a shoe store in our town that specializes in running shoes. Six years ago when my sciatic nerve tried to kill me I went there out of desperation after tons of referrals from friends. They make you take shoes off and walk across the floor & then you try on shoes. Wearing those shoes I was able to walk without pain & have kept going back there for shoes. The rare occasion I wear another pair of shoes I have pain for several days. I love Nike, can't wear them but my sister swears by them for her foot problems.

grammaterry
February 2nd, 2018, 10:47 PM
Okay, I have the most finicky feet in the world. I love my birkenstocks. I love Josef Seibel and Romanik (hand made in Hungary...usually under $150 These are casual dressy. Dansko and Borne make a good shoe.
Heres what the shoe must have to make it good. It must have leather Uppers...No synthetics...they draw out all the moisture in your feet. The insole should be leather or a natural product like cork.
Now, you have the support...you need good socks. I only buy Fox River Socks. THey have a band of support around the arch area and no toe seams and they last upwards of 5 years. About $10-$12.
I recently bought DH a pair of Keen hiking shoes that look like sneakers. THey are USA made and he says they are quite comfortable. I'm considering trying the hiking boot for myself.
Sas Shoes have been around along time and are very good as well.
Have a great trip.

MHG Winnower
February 3rd, 2018, 07:55 AM
Love Sketchers. Memory foam and low cut front like this one. I do have some higher cut ones in the front but because of a little arthritis bump on the top of the foot, I prefer the lower cut ones. Easy slip on and off (if you are a traveling person great for airports) and....they are machine washable and really do hold up nicely. https://www.amazon.com/Skechers-Performance-Womens-Slip-Walking/dp/B00B9A4BU0/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&qid=1517655127&sr=8-28&keywords=sketchers+shoe My local TJMaxx store always gets them in a about $30 per pair.

Carol336
February 3rd, 2018, 08:37 AM
I don't buy shoes for looks but for comfort. I've been wearing SAS shoes for >30 yrs. I buy the Siesta style, which is a lace shoe. They cost ~$110./pr., but they're worth it. When I was working as a nurse, I bought white ones for the hosp. At home I wear the bone color. It goes with everything. I always have to order mine, b/c they seldom have the color & style in the store in my size. I buy from an independent shoe store. I have other shoes I wear for church or dress-up. They also are SAS.

I'm with you here JCY....SAS are my go to shoes. Yes, they are a bit pricey, but I usually buy one pair a season. They are so comfortable, and you really can get some that are cute and stylish. I have lots of foot problems, bone spurs, plantar fasciitis, and I have found that it really pays to wear good shoes.

Midge
February 3rd, 2018, 10:35 PM
Mephisto, Keen (not all styles some have more arch and heel support than others), Born, Joseph Seibel, Merrell, and Naot shoes are my casual go to brands. You get what you pay for. I have found the memory foam shoes are horrible for extensive walking. But I have arthritis and bad arches. I got some of those Sketchers and threw them in the trash after 3 days. Yes, really. Have a great time!