PDA

View Full Version : Ever have premonitions?

Hulamoon
February 2nd, 2018, 11:48 AM
About two nights ago I woke up in a panic. I was dreaming of a hurricane and what would I do living alone and a fridge and freezer full of food and being in the dark. I got really worried in my dream. I went to look up generators when I woke up. lol

Well last night the electricity went out just before dark because a storm rolled in. I was thinking, didn't I just dream this? I had one candle that was down to a stump and some solar outdoor lights to make a path to the bathroom. The pizza I was ready to put in went back to the freezer to save it, so I didn't eat last night.

So now I'm sitting here thinking how unprepared I am and still feeling that creepy dream.

Star lover
February 2nd, 2018, 11:53 AM
I don't, but my DH does. He even dreamed the sex (before we all knew way ahead) of our children and their EXACT weight! To the ounce! He scares me sometimes......
Guess it wouldn't hurt to have some candles, propane (for a grill -or charcoal). Shelf stable food......I have some canned stuff and lots of vacuumed sealed stuff. No propane. DH keeps putting it off.......mmmm, better get ourselves in gear. Storm season is just ahead.
Thanks for the reminder!

Sandy Navas
February 2nd, 2018, 11:53 AM
Once that I recall - that it came to pass. I was about 12 and had a 'vision' of my sister running into the back of a tractor I was on, packing silage in a pit. And my 10YO sister was on another tractor behind me. ((Yeah, Mom and Dad weren't home - what were we thinking?)) And all of a sudden her tractor flipped off about a 12 foot high wall. Don't know if she hit me or not, but the tractor rolled with her on it - the story goes on, but she survived and luckily my 17YO brother was home. Mom and Dad were pulled from a funeral by the sheriff . . .

Kenz
February 2nd, 2018, 12:34 PM
My mom had one once. She dreamed one of her kids would be in a car accident. The next day my brother was t boned at an uncontrolled intersection. He was unharmed other than a few bits of glass stuck in his head from climbing out of the back window of his pick-up truck.

Caroline T.
February 2nd, 2018, 12:38 PM
I have had numerous "gut feelings" that something was wrong with someone in my family, mostly my little brother (usually when I wasn't home), and couldn't shake the anxiety. I would call to check on the person only to be told everything was OK. Still couldn't shake the feelings. Within a few hours I would get word of an accident or serious illness....

First time, my little brother had fallen overboard, we lived on a houseboat and he was only 3 yrs old and couldn't swim very well.
Second time, was my older brother, wrecked on his dirt bike, concussion, broken ribs and leg.
Third time little brother was about 6 yrs old, had pulled a boiling pot of water off the stove and suffered serious burns.
Fourth time, little brother was in a car accident, ended up rolling his car, but suffered no serious injuries.
Most recently, was when my Mother had her heart attack and subsequently during all the tests that the hospital ran, her lung cancer was discovered.

There were others, but those were the four that stuck with me the most.

LLLinda
February 2nd, 2018, 12:38 PM
I don't dream future events. They sometimes come to me in the daytime as thoughts only. I don't see them happening. Once my ex husband who had passed away spoke to me about our troubled grandson. Now that was a real shocker. I was driving at the time.

Kenz
February 2nd, 2018, 12:40 PM
About two nights ago I woke up in a panic. I was dreaming of a hurricane and what would I do living alone and a fridge and freezer full of food and being in the dark. I got really worried in my dream. I went to look up generators when I woke up. lol

Well last night the electricity went out just before dark because a storm rolled in. I was thinking, didn't I just dream this? I had one candle that was down to a stump and some solar outdoor lights to make a path to the bathroom. The pizza I was ready to put in went back to the freezer to save it, so I didn't eat last night.

So now I'm sitting here thinking how unprepared I am and still feeling that creepy dream.

Only store what you will use. Don't buy 6 cases of corn if you don't usually eat corn. I wasted about 80 cans of food doing that once. Never again. And for the love of God, don't run out and buy up milk, bread, and toilet paper the day before a disaster hits. I laugh every time something happens where I live...the milk, bread, and toilet paper aisles are empty.

Carlie Wolf
February 2nd, 2018, 02:35 PM
It's happened to me a lot over the years, even when I was small. It seems to come in spurts but I've learned to listen to it. I've always said my dreams are my best friend. It doesn't have to be dreams but can be flashes during the day either visual or verbal, or just a strong "knowing". I've learned to keep my mouth shut more now with age because it creeps some people out.

Another thing I found was some dreams act as warnings to look closer to things in your life. Example is that when I have the recurring tornado or tsaunami dreams there is usually something close to me that I need to be aware of and take more caution with, mainly a relationship.

Lori, there have been some scares out your way lately haven't there been? It could be a reaction to those types things. I don't think it ever hurts to try to be more prepared. We kind of learned that from living on the shore in New Jersey when I was younger. When bad storms hit back then we knew we might have to go a few days without conveniences.

201 Treadler
February 2nd, 2018, 03:00 PM
not sure if this counts but while taking a nap on sofa, dreamt how to make a bag x how to construct, dream was so in detail actually thought made in sleep, was disappointed when saw hadn't made it, so took on the challenge :D
gave it to a friend who loves it, but has revealed when uses, is stopped in the street by admirers. whoops

the sleep construction has happened a few times since treadling and am grateful, thankful for all the help, wherever it comes from :icon_wave:

MaggieSue
February 2nd, 2018, 03:40 PM
I have had a few mostly about my children. DD was 6 and at a neighbors house swimming with the neighbors. I was home with two boys 4 and 1. The youngest was napping. I was over come with fear for DD, and finally woke youngest son and stopped at the neighbors. Found out that DD nearly drowned. Have always paid special attention to my "fear." I do not tell anyone it creeps people out. Interesting thread.

bubba
February 2nd, 2018, 04:51 PM
Several years ago on a trip to Hawaii, I had bad feelings about the plane we were putting the girls on. They came only for a week and drove us crazy! I did not say anything about my premonition. Well, they never called when they got home and it took forever to get hold of them the next morning.

Halfway home, over the Pacific, there had been a loud explosion on the plane, which dropped several hundred feet. The breathing bags all dropped from the ceiling and chaos ensued. Turns out and engine blew out. There were two engines on the plane, so the flew the rest of the way with the one engine.

Come to find out when we spoke to them that Tiffany had the same premonition as I, and neither of us said anything. We were instructed not to keep things like that to ourselves anymore!

Granny Judy
February 2nd, 2018, 04:52 PM
Have had lots of Premonitions and learned to pay attention to them.
There are too many instances to tell here. Lets just say I don't want to creep anyone out.

And I have my bug-out bag ready!! Lots of food stuff stored and a safe place to go when the SHTF..
My pets go with me!!

KPH
February 2nd, 2018, 05:05 PM
I had a few when I was younger. One about my Grandpa P. I didn't know what was wrong, I just knew something was terribly wrong. I was spending the week at the other grandparents house. I couldn't convince Grandma Mac to call home. I found out when Mom came to pick me up, that he'd had a heart attack and Dad and Grandma P were in TN with him.

The second was about my pet duck. Yes, I said duck. Again, I was at Grandma Mac's when I was suddenly struck by a feeling my duck, Cheeper was gone. I couldn't convince Grandma to call home that time either. When Mom and Dad came to pick me up, there had been a big electrical storm and Cheeper had been electrocuted in his pen.

Hulamoon
February 2nd, 2018, 07:02 PM
I had a few when I was younger. One about my Grandpa P. I didn't know what was wrong, I just knew something was terribly wrong. I was spending the week at the other grandparents house. I couldn't convince Grandma Mac to call home. I found out when Mom came to pick me up, that he'd had a heart attack and Dad and Grandma P were in TN with him.

The second was about my pet duck. Yes, I said duck. Again, I was at Grandma Mac's when I was suddenly struck by a feeling my duck, Cheeper was gone. I couldn't convince Grandma to call home that time either. When Mom and Dad came to pick me up, there had been a big electrical storm and Cheeper had been electrocuted in his pen.

That is sad. I had a friend that had one (actually a few) and I held it at a party she was holding. I was surprised at how docile it was. Very sweet animal.

Patty J
February 2nd, 2018, 08:06 PM
My son and his wife were in a serious car accident. My son was admitted to the trauma hospital in a bigger city. They were taking good care of him so DIL and I went home. She wouldn't stay with me even though I thought she should. Around midnight I woke up and couldn't get my son out of my mind. So I called the hospital just to check, they said he was going to surgery to get a pacemaker in so he wouldn't keep having irregular beats or even stops and starts. They said they tried to call DIL, but she didn't answer. Well, I got up/dressed and drove to her apt. Was finally able to get her up and went made the trip to the hospital. Turns out there were some complications and I was glad that I paid attention to my "gut" feelings. Never ignore them anymore.

Iris Girl
February 2nd, 2018, 08:21 PM
I seem to figure how to do things in my sleep. As far as bad weather provisions we always have stuff. Batteries flashlights and we each have a headlight style flashlight. We have a gas stove. And a grill always have canned meats, soups, tuna et in a box we regularly rotate.

JCY
February 2nd, 2018, 08:27 PM
My one premonition that I remember was when I was in jr. high or HS. We lived in Mich. at the time. My mom, dad & I were planning a trip (driving) to NY to visit family. I kept having a feeling of dread, like something bad was going to happen. Got to talked to my mom, & she was having the same feelings. We talked to my dad about it. We ended up not going. We never knew what might have happened, but our minds were at peace that we stayed home. I think we were spared an accident or some tragedy.

MaryUK
February 2nd, 2018, 09:21 PM
I've had a few over the years but the one which sticks in my mind to this day is one night I dreamt I was looking for my mum but couldn't find her then my eldest brother turns up and he tells me to stop looking as I can't go where she is and he would sort everything out.
Two days later my mum died suddenly at the age of 55! And my eldest brother took over all the arrangements as he said as the eldest it was his duty as Dad couldn't/wouldn't do it.

The others have been less traumatic thankfully.

MRoy
February 2nd, 2018, 09:38 PM
Yes, I have premonitions and wish I didn't. My mom had them too. She would have a dream about someone dying...then it would come to pass.

bhaggerty
February 3rd, 2018, 01:43 AM
Ok, you guys are freaking me out!

Sylvia H
February 3rd, 2018, 02:34 AM
Yes, I have had many premonitions. Over the last few years, not any that I can remember. But I have been very sick with various issues, and I think that has blocked my ability. At this moment, I have three that come to mind. When my son's girlfriend's father died, I was 'told' (I know not by whom) to tell the family that he was all right and they shouldn't worry. As an elementary school teacher, I was one of two 4th grade teachers. New student arrivals alternated between our classes. It was my turn, and, as I was introduced to my new student, my mind let me know that he had a brother who was going into the other class. I wasn't told this during the introduction, there was no way for me to know. Yes, he had a twin brother that was assigned to the other class.

The worst though, is something I cannot confirm, and I hope did not happen. I was interviewing assistants for my department. As a young woman approached me for her interview, I thought, "She is going to die at a young age". That was really freaky. She was hired, and I learned that her mother had died at a young age. She only stayed with the company for about two years, and I have no knowledge of what may have happened in her life. I hope my premonition was wrong.

I think we all may get 'little' premonitions that we don't realize. Decisions we make that seem impulsive, but are really guided by our gut instincts. I do encourage everyone to listen to those gut reactions.

JulieC
February 3rd, 2018, 09:51 AM
I don't get premonitions, but there's an old family story about my maternal grandmother (Sylvia). It was during WWII, and Sylvia was in the living room when Uncle Jack's picture fell off the mantle. She knew right then something had happened to him. She found out later he had been shot while fighting in Guam.

Side note: he survived the war, came home, married, and had four children and ten grandchildren before he passed away in 2001.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
February 3rd, 2018, 11:30 AM
I have had many crazy dreams about events and actual events happening since I was young I used to tell my mom, but she would dismiss it, until something similar happened. She said I was like my grandma. When she passed, I kept my dreams to myself.

Then later in life, I was walking by a popular building with a co-worker. It's architecture fascinated me. I had a feeling something was wrong with it and told her. Next day, a big news story about the building how the contractor was overpaid and he was a relative of the employee who awarded the contract.
I just dismiss these now, but mindful that it is intuition about something to happen and that I read clues well .
Glad you were ok. We are always prepared as you never know when ice and snow can cause problem. However the last time we were out of power when we had the Big East Coast blackout in the summer. All was good. We BBQ.

dwil23
February 3rd, 2018, 05:38 PM
I had a dream once that we were on a dock at the local manatee viewing area and my youngest DD (about 2 at the time) fell in and disappeared under the water. Talk about waking up in a panic! A very short time later on vacation we were getting ready to board a boat and, remembering the dream had a very tight grip on her hand when she suddenly backed away from the boat and off the side of the pier. I have always credited that dream for saving us from a very scary, if not tragic situation.

As to your original dream - yes get a generator. It is on my list after Irma. We have a very kind neighbor who offered to share his (he would use it for a few hours, then we would). I plan to get one before hurrican season hits. I figure that the fact I am prepared alone will keep them away!

Hulamoon
February 3rd, 2018, 06:49 PM
As to your original dream - yes get a generator. It is on my list after Irma. We have a very kind neighbor who offered to share his (he would use it for a few hours, then we would). I plan to get one before hurrican season hits. I figure that the fact I am prepared alone will keep them away!
That was nice of your neighbor.

I've been doing some research on what wattage to get.I really only need it for the fridge and a light.My stove has an electric starter, but I have a propane stove and grill. The last hurricane we had the electricity was out for months, but I was lucky enough to go back to work to make the desserts for the military and whoever was helping with the hurricane. They had back up generators for the whole hotel!

dwil23
February 3rd, 2018, 09:20 PM
That was nice of your neighbor.

I've been doing some research on what wattage to get.I really only need it for the fridge and a light.My stove has an electric starter, but I have a propane stove and grill. The last hurricane we had the electricity was out for months, but I was lucky enough to go back to work to make the desserts for the military and whoever was helping with the hurricane. They had back up generators for the whole hotel!

I was looking at one that was 1100 watts but my cousin (who knows more than I do) said it wasn't enough for us, but it might be enough for you - I think that was what the neighbor had. He recommended one that Costco had about this time last year, but I don't remember what the wattage was. I definetely want to get a propane one, since propane can be stored without going bad like gasoline does.

Patty J
February 4th, 2018, 01:12 PM
Lots of things to consider that I didn't even think about with a generator. We've been very lucky that when the electricity goes out it doesn't stay that way for long. Although being in Wisconsin and the winter storms that we can get, we don't have heat and that is a big concern.. DH has been talking about getting one, but hasn't done anything in a positive way. Think I'll mention it again today and do some checking on my own. Now that I know what questions to ask thanks to my forum friends.

Hulamoon
February 4th, 2018, 04:54 PM
Lots of things to consider that I didn't even think about with a generator. We've been very lucky that when the electricity goes out it doesn't stay that way for long. Although being in Wisconsin and the winter storms that we can get, we don't have heat and that is a big concern.. DH has been talking about getting one, but hasn't done anything in a positive way. Think I'll mention it again today and do some checking on my own. Now that I know what questions to ask thanks to my forum friends.

We had one a longtime ago and you have to remember to buy cords to go to different appliances, lights etc. I haven't looked that all up yet. I don't have a garage so it will sit out side and will need a cover. Geesh it's adding up!