PDA

View Full Version : finally.....a diagnosis!

bubba
January 31st, 2018, 10:55 PM
I was in court with Tiffany this afternoon. Phones were all on mute. While there, her doctor called. When she called back, she FINALLY got a diagnosis of C-Dif, which is a bacterial infection of your lower intestines/bowels. We immediately went and got the antibiotics and she will be on them the next ten days. I'm glad it happened today, because this is her last of medical coverage. Her job, which she was on disability from, terminated her earlier this month.

With the outcome from court and then this, it was a pretty good day. Case goes to trial March 13 because the jerkface is a poophead!

KarenC
January 31st, 2018, 10:57 PM
Yeah! Sounds like good news. Now to find new employment. Hopefully that will go well, after everything y'all have been through.

jjkaiser
January 31st, 2018, 11:29 PM
I am breathing a big sigh of relief for you! To have a name for what's making your daughter so sick and know it is not a chronic or terminal disease but something curable and treatable!! That is just the best news ever. Hope the antibiotics work fast. And your ex SIL gets what he deserves in court!!!

KPH
January 31st, 2018, 11:52 PM
Sounds like a good day, all in all. Lifting prayers for complete healing. As for poopy head, not even duct tape can fix stupid. We'll let him have his just desserts, as Uncle Earl would say.

Ginny B
February 1st, 2018, 12:05 AM
Oh how wonderful to finally have an answer and a plan! Hope she starts to feel better quickly. Now if there were just some prescription for jerkface poophead.

Astatoo
February 1st, 2018, 12:06 AM
Will keep your family in my prayers. You must be so relieved to have a diagnosis.

JaniceR
February 1st, 2018, 12:26 AM
You must be so relieved! So wonderful to finally have a diagnosis and one that is treatable!! So happy that things are finally looking better!!

GuitarGramma
February 1st, 2018, 01:11 AM
Pat, I'm so glad that you got a solid diagnosis. I hope the doctor's office made clear how serious C-Dif is. The "Dif" part of that is short for "difficile" which is Latin for "difficult." It's "difficult" because it's very difficult to treat. Very few antibiotics work on C-Dif. In fact, one of the ways you can contract C-Dif is from taking antibiotics; the antibiotics kill off all the normal bacteria in the gut except the C-Dif, and the C-Dif then takes over, showing up as an infection a month or two later.

My son-in-law is a doctor and is often exposed to C-Dif. He won't hug the kids when he gets home until he has changed clothes. He also asks that no antibacterial soap be used in the home because it will kill everything but the C-Dif and then C-Dif gets to take over.

A young woman I know has recently recovered from a C-Dif infection that almost killed her. Besides taking her antibiotics faithfully, she also took good pro-biotics in between the antibiotic doses. This helped to re-populate her gut with good bacteria to compete with the C-Dif. She also researched and followed an anti-fungal diet. Slowly but surely, she recovered and now tests completely free from C-Dif.

I hope that your daughter is able to incorporate some of these lifestyle changes to help beat this insidious bacteria!

bubba
February 1st, 2018, 01:52 AM
Pat, I'm so glad that you got a solid diagnosis. I hope the doctor's office made clear how serious C-Dif is. The "Dif" part of that is short for "difficile" which is Latin for "difficult." It's "difficult" because it's very difficult to treat. Very few antibiotics work on C-Dif. In fact, one of the ways you can contract C-Dif is from taking antibiotics; the antibiotics kill off all the normal bacteria in the gut except the C-Dif, and the C-Dif then takes over, showing up as an infection a month or two later.

My son-in-law is a doctor and is often exposed to C-Dif. He won't hug the kids when he gets home until he has changed clothes. He also asks that no antibacterial soap be used in the home because it will kill everything but the C-Dif and then C-Dif gets to take over.

A young woman I know has recently recovered from a C-Dif infection that almost killed her. Besides taking her antibiotics faithfully, she also took good pro-biotics in between the antibiotic doses. This helped to re-populate her gut with good bacteria to compete with the C-Dif. She also researched and followed an anti-fungal diet. Slowly but surely, she recovered and now tests completely free from C-Dif.

I hope that your daughter is able to incorporate some of these lifestyle changes to help beat this insidious bacteria!

I actually went over and talked to the nurses who work in the infusion center (chemo) to talk to them about it. One of them printed me out several pages of information. There are apparently only two antibiotics that work on it....one starts with an F and I can't remember the name of it. She had that a couple months ago when she first got sick, but apparently it did not do the trick. The one she is on now is the other and I can't remember it's name at all right now (I have had quite a day), but the pharmacist talked at great length with us about how important it is to make sure you take the probiotics or eat live yogurt daily. She has to continue that for at least two weeks after the cycle of antibiotics.

The nurses stressed not to use the antibacterial soap because it does not kill the germ. MM and I never used that stuff and never will. I told her not to and she said she does not use it either. I told her also she needs to talk to the girls and make sure they wash with hot water and soap every time they think about it. Hopefully this is going to get her well.....Lord knows she has been suffering quite some time now.

When we part ways, she always gives me a kiss, but today I asked her not to. She was not happy, but I told her I can't be catching what she has because then MM might and that would not be good! I told MM about that and he agreed with me.

GuitarGramma
February 1st, 2018, 03:36 AM
I'm glad that you got such good advice! C-Dif is nasty stuff!

MSN
February 1st, 2018, 05:55 AM
There are apparently only two antibiotics that work on it....one starts with an F and I can't remember the name of it. She had that a couple months ago when she first got sick, but apparently it did not do the trick. The one she is on now is the other and I can't remember it's name at all right now (I have had quite a day), but the pharmacist talked at great length with us about how important it is to make sure you take the probiotics or eat live yogurt daily. She has to continue that for at least two weeks after the cycle of antibiotics.

The drugs are most likely Flagyl and Vancomycin. C.diff is indeed horrible, but it is treatable. So relieved things are looking up for Tiffany, and that the court system will look after Mr. Poophead.

Bubby
February 1st, 2018, 06:56 AM
I'm so glad your DD finally has a diagnosis and now she can take the right meds. C-Diff is quite serious and it's the reason I declined taking one of the antibiotics I was given for my recent sickness. I hope she does well on her medication and gets back on her feet. Wishing her good luck in court, too.

Midge
February 1st, 2018, 07:47 AM
What a relief to get a diagnosis finally. Actually I’m a little surprised it took this long to figure out. It’s a well known complication of antibiotic treatment. Now hopefully she will tolerate the vancomycin well and take every single dose on time. Is she good at taking meds correctly? Not everyone can be relied upon to do that. Very thorough cleaning of all the surfaces in the house are a good idea, too. Slow but steady progress should lift her spirits I hope. Eventually her gut organisms will get back to her normal, and probiotics will help that happen. Now if the court case moves forward that’s the next hurdle.

Star lover
February 1st, 2018, 08:17 AM
So thankful that you have a diagnosis and that there's a medication that will help. ......now if only there was some kind of medication to relive y'all of the ex! Hoping and praying for happier and healthier days ahead.

Monique
February 1st, 2018, 09:07 AM
Well it took them long enough. At least now you now what you are dealing with, or she knows. I hope she feels better soon. As for jerkface poophead, well, there is no cure for that. Once he is gone, gone I am sure that will help as well.

Iris Girl
February 1st, 2018, 09:17 AM
So happy to hear finally a diagnosis. Hoping the meds do the trick quickly and she gets back on her feet.
Glad the court will take care of jerkface poophead.

bubba
February 1st, 2018, 04:00 PM
The drugs are most likely Flagyl and Vancomycin. C.diff is indeed horrible, but it is treatable. So relieved things are looking up for Tiffany, and that the court system will look after Mr. Poophead.

Those are the two drugs. She was on the flagyl at the start of this and it did not work. They tested several times for c-dif but it was not showing up in the tests. She actually saw a surgeon Tuesday and he said they would run another series, and that was one of them, and it finally showed up. The pharmacist said she should start feeling better by this morning. She got two doses in yesterday and for whomever asked, she is very good about taking her meds.

MaryUK
February 1st, 2018, 09:11 PM
I'm pleased your daughter has a diagnosis which can be treated and wish her a speedy recovery.

As for the court case, I hope it goes as well if not better than you expect.

grammaterry
February 1st, 2018, 10:19 PM
Does sound like good news