PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a dehumidifier?

Hulamoon
January 30th, 2018, 05:34 PM
I got bronchitis twice last year and times before that. I'm thinking one would help. My neighbor moved away because of her health and the humidity and extreme wetness in this area. I can't move at the moment. If you have lung issues did you find it helped? I'm afraid of it becoming chronic.

K. McEuen
January 30th, 2018, 05:58 PM
we have the opposite issue here, people use humidifiers to add moisture to the air. I would think you would benefit from removing some of the humidity if you are having bronchitis. It helps you breathe easier if the air is drier.

MaggieSue
January 30th, 2018, 07:24 PM
My sister lived in Maui, many years ago and they moved to the states because of the humidity and all of the flowers that caused her allergies. Much healthier here.

URIBARRI-MAYOR
January 30th, 2018, 07:41 PM
I live in a village by the sea and in my country it rains a lot so the humidity is very high and I use a dehumidifier and it shows a lot in the house that the humidity disappears and although I do not have bronchial problems I have pharyngitis chronic and that helps me a lot, I hope that if you use it you feel better

JCY
January 30th, 2018, 08:30 PM
We don't need a dehumidifier in Colorado either. But we have some humidity in our basement. We use a product called Damp Rid. It's granules in a container that absorb moisture. One periodically empties out the liquid & adds more granules to the container. It's worse in the summer time when the swamp cooler (evaporative cooler) runs.

grammaterry
January 30th, 2018, 10:10 PM
When the roof caved in on the building last year and the rain came and came some more we found that we had so much moisture in the walls and the floors that we could not do the remodel. We bought a good dehumidifier at Lowes for under $300 and we were amazed at how much water we pulled out of the building daily. We emptied it every day for 40 days about a quart a day. We were very pleased. We are looking forward to seeing how it does in our house this summer. Humidity in the south is a pretty big issue in the summer rainy season.

Judy, USMC
January 31st, 2018, 01:17 AM
An air conditioner acts as a dehumidifier. My mom had bronchial problems that went away after she got central air. Of course that's a more expensive alternative ... but based on her results a dehumidifier will probably help.

Bubby
January 31st, 2018, 07:00 AM
Yes, removing moisture from the air makes it easier to breathe. We used a dehumidifier all the time in our old house. I had bronchitis and pneumonia all the time when we lived there. Since we moved here, where we have central air and heat, I have very few issues and my asthma rarely flares. I don't get sick very often, but when I do get sick it's usually an ordeal for months. Getting older doesn't help either.

Lorie, I would give the dehumidifier a try.

Hulamoon
January 31st, 2018, 10:14 AM
Yes, removing moisture from the air makes it easier to breathe. We used a dehumidifier all the time in our old house. I had bronchitis and pneumonia all the time when we lived there. Since we moved here, where we have central air and heat, I have very few issues and my asthma rarely flares. I don't get sick very often, but when I do get sick it's usually an ordeal for months. Getting older doesn't help either.

Lorie, I would give the dehumidifier a try.

Okay, you talked me into it!

Thanks everyone for your input on this. When I went to the ER for my wrist they gave me a CAT scan. The DR told me I had scarring on my left lung and he told me to breath hard. When I do that it makes me cough. Hopefully this will help.

Sheep Farmer
January 31st, 2018, 10:35 AM
Yes, it definitely helps.
We purchased a really good one from Lowes.
We got tired of emptying the bucket all the time, so Hubby drilled a small hole in the wall behind the sofa to run the dehumidifier hose out to keep the water drained. Love it!
We originally had a dehumidifier with a built-in pump that we could just run the hose into the sink, but Lowes had a recall on those since the pump apparently generates too much heat causing the unit to catch fire. Scary.
It's winter here now and my hands are so dry and chapped that I wish I could have some of that humidity now!

mpattylou
February 2nd, 2018, 06:28 PM
Run a dehumidifier almost year round in our basement. Most people aren't aware of the humidity levels in their home, but if humidity is too high mold and mildew grow. Since our basement is large we also keep two fans on low speed to circulate the air. I have all my sewing stuff down there and it is hard for air to circulate with all the stuff around. If you have lung problems, running a dehumidifier is a good idea.