PDA

View Full Version : Relocation plans

RockinLou
January 30th, 2018, 12:49 PM
I joined the forum years ago, and haven’t been super active this year because I have made a conscious effort to cut back on my internet hours every week and increase my kids and crafting times.

However, one common question I get from members is how we ended up living in Kazakhstan! Well, the big news is that we resigned our positions in October, meaning we will finish out the school year. This takes a leap of faith because the international job market is tight and there are no guarantees that there will be a position. We joined recruitment services, and we attended a high pressure job fair last weekend.

We interviewed with seven schools, but were a good fit and offered contracts at an American school in Casablanca. So, we will be moving to Morocco in August.

It is a bit surprising because we previously lived in Rabat, Morocco, but it fit our three top priorities in finding the right fit outside of the basic contract were:

*good education for our kids who need a challenging curriculum
*warmer and more humid climate, with housing in a lower pollution zone (yes there is street pollution in the city center, but we will be 30 minutes from the center on a hill in the suburbs)
*shorter trek home. In a true emergency we could be home in less than a day. No more 30 hour tri-continental treks with 11+ hour time changes.

Anyway, we are super excited so I thought I would share the news!

Star lover
January 30th, 2018, 12:57 PM
Yahoo! So very happy for you! Thank you for updating!

Kgrammiecaz
January 30th, 2018, 12:58 PM
Sounds like a great plan. I look forward to hearing about your new home and jobs.

grammaterry
January 30th, 2018, 01:04 PM
So exciting. International jobs and the excitement of new adventure.

MissMay
January 30th, 2018, 01:19 PM
Hey Lou, Good News you'll soon be rocking in Casablanca.

Sandy Navas
January 30th, 2018, 01:29 PM
What fantastic news! That is a beautiful part of the world and so easy to travel and see adjoining countries. I'm excited for you!

Simply Quilting
January 30th, 2018, 01:36 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun!!! Enjoy Casablanca :)

Debbie Watters
January 30th, 2018, 02:09 PM
Hope you enjoy your new adventure!

Judy, USMC
January 30th, 2018, 03:28 PM
Thanks for sharing the reasons. Getting closer to the states is a great move ... may make visiting easier so you could do it more often. Your kids will be getting a great life experience that can't be duplicated. I'm excited for you. Congratulations!

Bubby
January 30th, 2018, 05:02 PM
This sounds like a great new adventure for you and your family. Best Wishes!

jjkaiser
January 30th, 2018, 05:03 PM
Good plan. Hope you love your new jobs and that your kids are excited about moving!! It sounds pretty exotic to me, who thinks a trip to Chicago is a big deal LOL!

MaryUK
January 30th, 2018, 05:28 PM
Sounds like a good plan. All the best and I hope your move is all you want it to be.

Astatoo
January 30th, 2018, 05:36 PM
Wow, that is so exciting! wishing you the best.

KPH
January 30th, 2018, 05:37 PM
Sounds like exciting times are on the way.

Dollyquilts
January 30th, 2018, 05:37 PM
I completely understand your excitement. Congratulations!

Monique
January 30th, 2018, 06:53 PM
You will have to keep us posted with the move. Send pictures at some point. Congratulations.

Hulamoon
January 30th, 2018, 07:07 PM
How exciting! I had to look at a map to see the distance and that is quite a lot! And so many cool places around you too. I always meant to ask you, if it's an American school are locals allowed to attend?

URIBARRI-MAYOR
January 30th, 2018, 07:28 PM
I have seen her in the forum many times and admired her adventurous life so far from home and with her children, now she´s going to change and I hope everything goes very well. Marocco is a Mediterranean country with lots of sun and sea a good place to enjoy, even though you are going to work but it is a litle closer to your home, I wish you all goes well in your new destination

JCY
January 30th, 2018, 08:33 PM
Thanks for checking in & giving us an update. My son has applied for a job in Germany, but hasn't heard anything back yet. I wish you & your family the best.

KarenC
January 30th, 2018, 08:45 PM
Safe travels and enjoy your next adventure!

cv quilter
January 30th, 2018, 10:02 PM
Great news, Lou. It will be a wonderful opportunity for you and your family. Good things come to those who wait! Won't it be wonderful to be closer to home!

Midge
January 30th, 2018, 10:10 PM
Wow, cue The Clash! Congrats and hope this move is all you hope it will be.

Bouse
January 31st, 2018, 08:20 AM
Congratulations. You won't have such a need for quilts there though.

RockinLou
February 1st, 2018, 12:19 PM
Hulamoon- the schools are usually part local and part international, the education is an American or international curriculum and delivered in English.

So, here in Kazakhstan our school is 45% Kazakh passport holders, of those a good portion are ethnically Russian or Korean, so it’s a unique environment because though there are ‘true Kazakhs’ the country itself is Home to over 170 ethnic groups and tribes. We then have a large portion of Korean students (because Samsung and other Korean businesses have Central Asian HQs here) and a bunch of what we call “multinationals” meaning everyone else. That last group is about 30% of the school, and includes Kids from all over Europe, North America and sometimes Africa and South America. Some Chinese students with families working in oil and gas too. Almaty WAS the capital city when the country first gained independence but is no longer, so the Embassies are all in Astana, leaving the school here to rely on Consulates (which have smaller staffs) and businesses for the student population.

In Casablanca the school is 60% Moroccan which is a more distinct group, those students will share more linguistic, physical and social similarities with each other than our “Kazakh passport holders” do here. In Casablanca the next largest group is again Korean, Then American and European.

The diversity of the school is an important factor, and though the school as a whole is at 60% the elementary programs are closer to 45% Moroccan, and that is both where I will teach and the age group of my children. General rule of thumb is that no one group should dominate more than 40% to maintain diversity and impartial governance of programs. The school we are going to was over 80% local ten years ago, so they are moving in the right direction and not too far off the mark on the younger crop of Kids.

Sorry for the super detailed response, you now know probably way more than you needed to on the topic!!

RockinLou
February 1st, 2018, 12:21 PM
Thank you everyone for your enthusiasm!! With each passing day we are more excited about our choice!!

Bouse
February 1st, 2018, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the information. It's always interesting to learn about how other systems work and countries operate.

Hulamoon
February 1st, 2018, 02:49 PM
Thanks for that informative answer! I found it super interesting how it works and what your careers are.