PDA

View Full Version : Positive thoughts for Mom

Wyora
January 29th, 2018, 01:36 PM
My mom had back surgery on Thursday that went for almost 14 hours. The good news is the surgical team was able to do everything they wanted and she is on the road to recovery. The bad news is that recovery is expected to be a year long. It was a pretty rough weekend for dad and I as at least one of us was at the hospital 24-7. We couldn't get her pain under control until Saturday. Sunday it looked like she had a spinal fluid leak. I left Sunday afternoon to drive back home (190 miles north) and will probably drive back down this coming weekend. We think she'll be moved to a rehab facility on Tuesday, but we're not sure for how long.

Anyway, she's the primary quilter in the family and could use some positive thoughts sent her way. Its going to be a long and tough path forward, but she has a reward of a 14 day Alaska cruise the end of May.

Star lover
January 29th, 2018, 01:46 PM
Wyora, I'll pray for your mother, you and the family. I had back surgery years ago and I'm fine now. I also had spinal fluid leak and I was given 1 tiny.....I mean tiny pink pill. It worked and fast. I didn't have a year for recovery but a pretty long time. I know what I went tnrough and what my family went through. So you're in my thought and prayers. Big hugs!

KPH
January 29th, 2018, 01:47 PM
Lifting prayers for a full recovery, with no obstacles to keep her from enjoying her trip!

Sandy Navas
January 29th, 2018, 02:24 PM
Definitely got you covered with the positive. We found out last night that my BIL in So. Cal. is also scheduled for a long-recovery spinal surgery. Thinking a cruise sounds like a wonderful treat after such a long recovery time.

Judy, USMC
January 29th, 2018, 02:59 PM
Positive thoughts headed your way for mom. Dad sounds so supportive. They should both enjoy the future trip. And you have safe travels going to help them!

JCY
January 29th, 2018, 04:06 PM
Thoughts & prayers for healing for your mom. Wow, that was a long surgery! Hang in there.

Monique
January 29th, 2018, 07:25 PM
Thoughts and prayers for your Mom and the rest of the family and that she will be well enough to enjoy that cruise.

KarenC
January 29th, 2018, 08:44 PM
Positive thoughts and prayers for your mom's recovery and for you and your dad as caretakers.

MaryUK
January 29th, 2018, 09:21 PM
Thinking of your Mum, Dad and family. Hope she recovers well and speedily.

Wyora
January 29th, 2018, 09:50 PM
Thank you everyone. This was actually back surgery #4 for her, and I'm sure will be her last. We knew it was going to be difficult going into it.

MissMay
January 30th, 2018, 01:26 PM
Sending your Mom this hug to help her get through her surgery and recovery. Keep it handy for I'm sure there eill be times you all will need one.

Debbie Watters
January 30th, 2018, 02:51 PM
Prayers for a speedy and safe recovery for your Mom! Remember that you and your Dad need to take care of yourselves also ...

Wyora
January 31st, 2018, 12:49 PM
Positive thoughts worked well! She's had some amazing progress since last Friday - she ate her first solid food on Sunday, went from barely being able to sit up in bed to actually getting up and walking for a few steps, and her cognitive functions are back to normal. Tuesday she moved from the hospital to a rehab facility. We're not sure how long she'll be there, anything from a few days to a week, it really depends on how PT progresses. The rehab facility is a bit closer to home, and hopefully dad can take Princess Annie (the family cocker-poo) in to see mom. The princess has been very confused the last week with most of her pack gone.

She ended up being quite the rock star at the hospital (Balboa Naval Medical Center in San Diego). The ward nurses mentioned to my father they'd never seen so many doctors pay as many visits as my mother was getting. Turns out her surgery was one of the longest the hospital had ever done, and everyone wanted to be able to say they were part of it.

Star lover
January 31st, 2018, 12:54 PM
I'm so thankful for all of you! Best news possible! Thanks for the update. I'll continue to pray. Big hugs!

MissMay
January 31st, 2018, 01:51 PM
Good News on your mom's progress.