PDA

View Full Version : Bad Iron

CraftyBarb
January 28th, 2018, 10:26 PM
I sat down to do some sewing earlier, turned on the iron and then had to get up to take clothes out of the dryer. Well on my way around the table my wrist hit the edge of the hot iron. Guess my fault for having it so close the the edge of the table. So I quickly got out the butter and put it on the burn..now I have vaseline to put on it. So that did it for any sewing..since it's right in a spot on my wrist where everything hits in that area. So hopefully within the next couple of days it will feel better.

auntstuff
January 28th, 2018, 10:32 PM
You should never grease a burn. Ice it. Grease holds the heat in and makes it worse.

Hulamoon
January 28th, 2018, 10:36 PM
My mom used to put butter on burns and it's a big no-no! It can actually make things worse. Cool water is safest. I hope it feels better soon.

JCY
January 28th, 2018, 11:54 PM
If you don't have an ice pack or ice cubes in your freezer, grab a pkg. of frozen vegs. Ice definitely is the treatment for burns.

Anitamae56
January 28th, 2018, 11:58 PM
So sorry that happened I am sure it is hurting

KPH
January 29th, 2018, 12:02 AM
I had my iron 'slide' down my arm before we moved. It was more like three bounces, I had three blistered spots. I used ice and then aloe. We had some of those 3M clear bandages that Hospice left for Mom when she fell and skinned her arm. They were long enough it covered the whole thing. I was pretty amazed I only had one of the places to leave a scar.

MaryD
January 29th, 2018, 12:36 AM
A wet vitamin C tablet dabbed on a burn (after the cool running water treatment) completely removes the pain. Only trouble is you have a sticky body part for the next hour or so, so probably slows up your quilting activities.

This was originally a hint in a book which advised rampantly overusing vitamins. Suggested way to use it was to make up a solution of vitamin C in a spray bottle and keep it in the fridge for emergency use. In my case the emergencies rarely arose, but I found that wetting (even slobbering on) a vitamin C tablet and dabbing was extraordinarily effective. Pain gone instantly! The author also claimed that it reduced blistering. I seemed to proved this when I burnt two fingers and treated the worse burnt one. It didn't blister whereas the not-so-burnt one blistered.

bubba
January 29th, 2018, 12:47 AM
Cold or ice water works best. I recently read that mustard also works, and tried it the last time I burned myself, and indeed it does! My sister swears wrapping it in foil and that is all she does.

dwil23
January 29th, 2018, 01:26 AM
ouch!

Balmex works wonderfully on burns - I have used it when I dropped hot glue on my hand on numerous occasions.

Hope it feels better soon....

Monique
January 29th, 2018, 08:34 AM
I hope it heals quickly enough that you can get back to sewing.