PDA

View Full Version : Sunday morning

Ginny B
January 28th, 2018, 11:35 AM
Good morning all. It's a bit of a drizzly morning here. My plans will keep me inside today so that's fine. Yesterday we finally got our Christmas tree down and boy the living room looks spacious again. Not that the tree was that big this year but, still, it took up space. We also sat down last night and talked about where we would like to take a trip to this year. We looked at a lot of options and I think we settled on Vermont in September. Other places on our list of places we would like to visit someday are Savannah, Charleston, Nashville, a river cruise somewhere here in the U.S. and hubby would like to see Epcot. Of course I am sure there will be a Disney trip in the somewhere with Zeke in the next year or two.

But for today, the furthest I will travel will be to my sewing room to see what adventures await me there. Have a great day everyone.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
January 28th, 2018, 12:22 PM
Good morning. I am with you today - going to the sewing room for some quilting therapy. We got a bit of drizzle yesterday and as I was driving home from out of town. I was glad it was above freezing so it was not making the roads icy, but grateful I got home before it dropped to below zero.
Have a good day.

grammaterry
January 28th, 2018, 12:26 PM
Ginny, we have been looking for a place to go in Feb. for our anniversary. We thought the grand ol opry in Nashville would be good but we wanted it to be at the Ryman. We went there for our 25th. But alas, apparently the Ryman is now a music venue and doesn't do the opry there very often nor does it have much of a country line up. DH has no desire to go to Opryland so I guess that's out. We heard there was an opry house in Monroe Virginia so I looked it up and that young boy fiddler, Carson Peters, will be there Mar 1. So I looked at how far. Further than Nashville ...so we are still looking for somewhere fun to celebrate.
The clouds have rolled into my frontyard. Someone might mistake it for fog, but no, its a big ol cloud. The birds are having an absolute ball out in the yard looking for worms I guess. There must be 500 of them
It is suppose to rain all day and then snow tomorrow evening. I sewed yesterday and if I sew for 7 hours a day, I will have the double wedding ring fmq'd in 4 more days. I don't think I can sew that many hours for that many days in a row, so I keep slapping myself and saying, "relax, enjoy the process". But I'm ready to move on. I've already laid out 4 baby quilts that need to be finished so I can go motivate someone to put them in their store for the Shriner benefit. Need to have something to show them how it will work. Do you think it would be proper to offer a store owner 10% of the sale price for their trouble out of the donated money. I am wrestleing with this idea knowing how valuable their table space probably is.

Bubby
January 28th, 2018, 12:34 PM
Hi Everyone,

We worked in Cuba yesterday and I'm really feeling it today.

I have been sewing this morning and almost have the flying geese to the stage where I can begin to sew them together. There was a huge amount of squaring up. I hope it's worth it in the end.

Our weather is pretty nice today but winter and more snow is on the way for the middle of the week. I will be feeding the neighbors' cats for several days starting the middle of the week.

Terry, will you be able to finagle a stop at M* on the way?

Wishing everyone a great Sunday.

Carolnnc
January 28th, 2018, 01:09 PM
Good morning. It's supposed to rain all day and it's so dreary looking outside.

Today I'm working on caulking all the gaps in the baseboards & also re-caulking around the sinks. I'm half way thru painting the last bedroom and everything from that room is in the quilt cave. If I don't get back into the quilt cave soon it's going to get ugly around here:) DH told me he'd help me today and I'm not letting him back out!

DH told his boss that he is planning on retiring at the end of the year. We are trying to decide whether to take some short trips to look around for our last home or just buy a small RV & start traveling the back roads. DH had started out saying he wanted to move to the south west corner of Virginia. Now he is wondering if we would be happy with the snow & cold. He loves to grow a big garden & has realized there might be a shorter season in the mountains. I have voted for Florida, Georgia, Tennessee & Hamilton, Missouri. It will be interesting to see where we end up. We definitely want to be out in the country. Our quiet street has turned into a major speedway in the last ten years & housing developments are now all around us. We want to get out where all we hear are the birds & crickets. The next year will be interesting!

Hope everyone is having a great day.

grammaterry
January 28th, 2018, 01:39 PM
Caroln, I was in real estate for a long time. I love living in the country although, I am pretty remote. Quiet, birds, etc...however, the growing season is different. Can't plant a garden or flowers until after Mid May. However, Fl, and GA have lots of bugs and its too hot to garden in the summer. My children live in the upstate of SC and they seem to have a pretty good season, rain and enough cold in the winter to kill some of the worst bugs but there is plenty of rural areas around with access to Greenville and Spartanburg for shopping There are many lakes and if I didn't live here, I might consider looking at that area. The economy is doing well with lots of jobs (I know you don't need one, but jobs keep crime rates down).
Good morning. It's supposed to rain all day and it's so dreary looking outside.

Today I'm working on caulking all the gaps in the baseboards & also re-caulking around the sinks. I'm half way thru painting the last bedroom and everything from that room is in the quilt cave. If I don't get back into the quilt cave soon it's going to get ugly around here:) DH told me he'd help me today and I'm not letting him back out!

DH told his boss that he is planning on retiring at the end of the year. We are trying to decide whether to take some short trips to look around for our last home or just buy a small RV & start traveling the back roads. DH had started out saying he wanted to move to the south west corner of Virginia. Now he is wondering if we would be happy with the snow & cold. He loves to grow a big garden & has realized there might be a shorter season in the mountains. I have voted for Florida, Georgia, Tennessee & Hamilton, Missouri. It will be interesting to see where we end up. We definitely want to be out in the country. Our quiet street has turned into a major speedway in the last ten years & housing developments are now all around us. We want to get out where all we hear are the birds & crickets. The next year will be interesting!

Hope everyone is having a great day.

Iris Girl
January 28th, 2018, 01:47 PM
Morning all. It is cloudy was drizzly early. It has brightened some and looks like the sun wants to break through. That would be grand. I have been working on designing a wall hanging. It will be called Mom and me. It will be iris flowers my favorite with pansys at the bottom, Mom's favorite. I think I have a protype of placement together. Thats just tne paper design then to choose colors and work it into fabric. It will be applique work. I will try and post a pic of the paper design. Not sure how on the tablet. Can't wait till I get a new laptop. Son has been checking we know it will be about $1000.00 . Because I am a gamer and need higher specs for that.

Iris Girl
January 28th, 2018, 01:50 PM
Morning all. It is cloudy was drizzly early. It has brightened some and looks like the sun wants to break through. That would be grand. I have been working on designing a wall hanging. It will be called Mom and me. It will be iris flowers my favorite with pansys at the bottom, Mom's favorite. I think I have a protype of placement together. Thats just tne paper design then to choose colors and work it into fabric. It will be applique work. I will try and post a pic of the paper design. Not sure how on the tablet. Can't wait till I get a new laptop. Son has been checking we know it will be about $1000.00 . Because I am a gamer and need higher specs for that.149831well its on its side but that is the paper pattern and placement I came up with

CraftyJnet
January 28th, 2018, 03:49 PM
That's lovely.

Good morning all. I just finished an oven mitt out of some scrap material. Now I'll make some matching pot holders. A friend of ours is coming by in a few minutes so we'll have a nice visit. Then it's laundry and kitchen cleaning. Hope you all have a blessed day!!

KPH
January 28th, 2018, 03:55 PM
Good afternoon all,

DS#1 and family picked me up for Sunday School and Church this morning. I'm glad I went sort of, their music ministry isn't the old fashioned hymnals, but more bandish, anyway each song they did today was sad, grief, dying... in other words they were way to close to heart. The last one before the sermon, I just lost it. DS#1 was in the back with Zeke (youngest 1.5) I cried and Zeke just kept patting my back. Once I got myself together, he was reaching for me. He gave me a big hug and patted my back and started smiling. Thank goodness for little ones.

Nana and Nandy took the three kids back with them for the afternoon so Jim and Morgan could get some things caught up. Like laundry, and getting a test prepped that was supposed to be given Friday. He's emailing it out today, due on Wednesday. I know his families won't be too upset, a nice perk of working at a home school co-op. They came in for lunch before they went on their afternoon missions.

DS#2 got out the lock boxes so I could find the will and life insurance policies. Once Chuck leaves, we're going to all sit down and discuss the fate of the trucks. I hate that we bought the tag for 2 years now, but we'll figure it all out. DS#1 wants me to sell the truck, DS#2's truck is still in DH's name and it's on it's last legs. They need to decide who can afford to do what. They may end up swapping DS#1's car for the big truck and DS#2 get DS#1's Vibe. lol, I don't care, I just don't think there's a point of me having a car/truck in my name when I can't drive it.

Carol, I wish we could get together about the camper... I have one, I can't drive or tow it. We bought it and only used it 2 1/2 weeks. Now I've got to sell it, or let the dealership buy it back or something. No point in me paying for it, storage and insurance on it every month when I can't use it. I called Camper's Inn this afternoon to talk to the sales manager. I'll call the bank that I have the loan with Monday.

Things are quiet. BIL and DS#2 stayed at home this morning doing laundry.

JCY
January 28th, 2018, 05:33 PM
Good afternoon ~ I didn't have much time before 6 a.m. today. Had to get DH's breakfast & get myself ready for church. So I'm back. Beautiful sunny day. It's in the upper 50's. Both rabbits are out in the back yard sunning themselves. I've never understood how they can sit so still for so long. It seems like their legs would get cramped. When they're not munching, they just fold down their ears & zone out.

I sewed the border on the wildlife quilt yest. I don't have a large enough piece for the backing so will sew together 3 vertical sections. I already have plenty of 2.5" strips left from the previous project for binding.

Terry, if you're tired of FMQ on the wedding ring quilt, set it aside & work on your baby quilts. I frequently have 2 or 3 projects ongoing & switch back & forth. I can't do much more than 1 hr./day of FMQ & then have to give my hands & arms a rest. So I switch to piecing or whatever.

Katrina, I certainly can understand your emotions in church. Our church usually has only 1 hymn & the rest is the more modern praise music with a praise band. I really miss the old hymns that I grew up with. I enjoy the music on "Rejoice in the Lord", which is on the Daystar network Sun. evenings. It's from Pensacola Bible College in FL. The sermon always is good, too. Sometimes I go to YouTube & watch the Gaithers or Carroll Roberson for southern gospel music. Plus we have a large music library of record albums, cassettes, & CDs. I listen in my sewing room.

Retiring & traveling in an RV vs. having a home: The big disadvantage I see to always being on the road is medical issues. I'm a nurse, & that's a biggie in my book. With the way insurance is now, the exchanges differ from state to state, so ins. coverage could be an issue. Also, you'd have no primary dr. or health professionals that know you, your history, etc., for continuity of care. Motor homes are expensive to buy as well as maintain. While the living quarters would be adequate, it's not like having 2,000 sq. ft. of a nice home in which to relax & enjoy. I think being on the road all the time would soon lose its appeal. I vote for a home base & take shorter trips.

Terry ~ I'd love to go back to Lancaster Co., PA. When I was there in 2003, I had not started my quilting journey, so I could not appreciate all the beautiful quilts. I love to read Amish fiction, so I know more about that area now than I did then. Also, I'd like to revisit the Millennium Sight & Sound Theater to see another production. Those are soooo fantastic! I think a trip to New England in the Fall would be nice, too, to see all the autumn colors. And as Monique will affirm, I'd love to travel to Prince Edward Island, visit the Ann of Green Gables house, etc. There are so many places to explore & visit. I guess for now my "travel" will have to be on the web. I can see Spakenburg, The Netherlands (where my DIL is from) or most any place via Google Earth. I can't get away to travel, not even to visit family, as long as I'm a caregiver for DH.

April ~ I also love iris. Post pics when you get your project done. It should be beautiful.

Well, I'm going to go start on the quilt backing.