PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday Trivia: Starfish

Star lover
January 24th, 2018, 08:32 AM
Because starfish aren't fish, marine biologists prefer to call them sea stars — even though they're not always traditionally star-shaped.

Most have five arms, but many have 10, 20 or even 40, and if they lose one it will grow back. It may take up to a year for an arm to grow back. A sea star doesn't have a brain; its arms contain its central nervous system. It doesn't have blood, either.

149666[/ATTACH

Filtered seawater circulates through its body.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]149667. A starfish dining.

The average lifespan of a sea star is 35 years.

For something of their small size, sea stars can weigh up to 11 pounds.

They cannot survive in fresh water.

grammaterry
January 24th, 2018, 12:40 PM
They are sooooo pretty. I remember seeing some when I was snorkeling on the great barrier reef. THe underwater world is such a mystery to me. a little bit scary too since I really don't know what most of the things under the water are.

JCY
January 24th, 2018, 08:51 PM
How interesting. We used to find star fish on the beach when I lived on the Oregon coast. Sometimes they get caught in tide pools. I still have 2 sand dollars I found years ago. That blue & purple one is beautiful -- almost iridescent.

KPH
January 24th, 2018, 09:03 PM
The first two trips we made to Jax Beach when our oldest moved here with the Navy, I found purple with an orange border starfish. I haven't found one since.