PDA

View Full Version : Cat Question

Carolnnc
January 20th, 2018, 03:10 PM
I am looking for help from people who have cats.
We have a two year old cat who has recently become an indoor cat (DH kept sneaking her inside). Once in a while she jumps up on the kitchen counters. I am very frustrated when her dirty feet hit the very clean surfaces in my kitchen. If we weren't moving in about a year I'd have french doors installed to keep her out which I will do once we move to our next home. Until then is there anyway to keep her off my counters? Thanks

auntstuff
January 20th, 2018, 03:18 PM
I used cookie sheets with a little water in them around the edges of the counters. Works pretty fast.

Hulamoon
January 20th, 2018, 03:33 PM
Cat's hate foil unless it's rolled into a ball. lol. I put a piece of it on my printer, because she would sleep on it and hair was getting inside.

Tracie T
January 20th, 2018, 03:48 PM
Yes, foil works great! My cat hated foil..yes, past tense. She past after 18 years with us. Anyway, I would put it on things I didn't want her on.

azmotogirl
January 20th, 2018, 04:03 PM
We used to put double sided tape randomly around the countertops (and edges) when we went out..... they hate getting stuck to it. Only took a few times before they stopped jumping up on the counters. Works for dogs who get curious and put paws up on the counter to see if there are any goodies to be had....

Deegles
January 20th, 2018, 04:15 PM
Set spring loaded mouse traps on your counter and lay a sheet of paper over the traps. When the cat gets on the counter, the paper triggers the trap and sets it off and scares the dickens out of the cat. Only once usually breaks the habit. Make sure you do this when you are home .

auntstuff
January 20th, 2018, 05:41 PM
Haha, my almost 17 year old idiot LOVES napping on a sheet of foil.

LLLinda
January 21st, 2018, 11:48 AM
I don't really think anything breaks the habit. My cats all learned not to do it when anyone was around but I occasionally will see evidence that a cat had been on the counter. They are pretty smart to learn to be that sneaky. Since someone is home most all the time and Gypsy sleeps with us she has a very small window of opportunity.

Iris Girl
January 21st, 2018, 12:36 PM
Out of my 3 cats ommly one will jump on yhe counter. She does this to get in the window over the sink. The other 2 have no i terest in the counters.

Heather
January 21st, 2018, 12:36 PM
Ours gets up there if we leave the butter dish out. He loves to lick the butter. Replaced several sticks post licking.
All good suggestions so far, I will add purchase or make some kind of cat tree that she can go up. They love to be "up", that may dissuade her from getting on your counters, tables, etc.

wildernessquilter
January 21st, 2018, 12:39 PM
I like using a spray bottle of water. A cat does something I don't like I hit them with a spray water. They hate it. You just have to catch them in the act, it has been a long time since one was on my counters.

Carolnnc
January 21st, 2018, 01:24 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I can just see me catching my fingers in the mouse trap so that's not one I'm willing to try but I will try all the other suggestions in hopes of finding something that works.
I tried the cookie sheets with water last night. She really enjoyed playing in the water:-) I came around the corner this morning and she was sitting in a cookie sheet dragging her paw through the water and licking her paw. I'm trying the foil next.
She has a nice large tower that sits in front of the living room window that she loves and she spends most of her days running up and down that, sleeping in the top bed or watching cars go by. I bought her lots of toys to keep her busy. Of course all the little balls with bells in them end up under the couch.

Hulamoon
January 21st, 2018, 03:25 PM
I had to chuckle about the water. My cat paws her water bowl. You can buy cat repellents, but here is a homemade one that won't cost a lot. Worth a try or look up cat repellents on the net.

https://housekeeping.wonderhowto.com/how-to/make-homemade-cat-repellent-home-remedies-for-repelling-cats-0154943/

Ahamblin
January 21st, 2018, 05:08 PM
Set spring loaded mouse traps on your counter and lay a sheet of paper over the traps. When the cat gets on the counter, the paper triggers the trap and sets it off and scares the dickens out of the cat. Only once usually breaks the habit. Make sure you do this when you are home .

Funny story - My vet suggested this to me years ago when my Dobe puppy would get on the sofa. Set it up with mouse traps and covered them with newspaper. Worked like a charm - the dog was terrified of newspaper.

The aluminum foil worked well for us. A bit of a pain to set it up when we weren't in the kitchen but I hated the cats walking on my counters.

grammaterry
January 21st, 2018, 08:54 PM
So the first cat I ever had would get on the table or the counters and it drove me bananas. I would run at her with a broom and yell mash that cat. IT only took about 4 times of me coming down with the broom,...not on the cat....that she didn't need the broom, I would just yell...Mash that cat...and she would stop.
So I tried it with our cat of 10 yrs. He has had the house to himself while we worked and now we are home. He just laughs at me when I say MASH that cat.
We really love him so, I've tried reasoning with him, bribing him, yelling at him, scolding him. Maybe I will try some of these other ideas.

Snip Snip
January 21st, 2018, 10:01 PM
I just learned to clean the counter tops really, really frequently.

MSN
January 22nd, 2018, 03:18 AM
I just learned that I don't want the hassle of owning a cat. I'm not an animal hater by any means, just too lazy to deal with the problems they create -- not to mention the whole liter box issue.

MHG Winnower
January 22nd, 2018, 06:58 AM
Oh, please don't use the mouse traps. Paper can be easily moved and the trap could really hurt your cat.
Cat's do not like the smell of lemon! I've used a lemon scented cleaner and that has always worked. For wood surfaces and believe it or not, electrical cords (cats sometimes chew them) - a lemon-scented furniture polish works wonders.

grammaterry
January 22nd, 2018, 12:01 PM
Oh that's a wonderful idea. I remember that when the kids were little we would put orange peel in the sandbox because the cats hated that and wouldn't go there.
Oh, please don't use the mouse traps. Paper can be easily moved and the trap could really hurt your cat.
Cat's do not like the smell of lemon! I've used a lemon scented cleaner and that has always worked. For wood surfaces and believe it or not, electrical cords (cats sometimes chew them) - a lemon-scented furniture polish works wonders.

K. McEuen
January 22nd, 2018, 06:05 PM
I never really had a problem with any of my cats getting on the kitchen counters, well, Bear did, but that wasn't his fault and he learned he didn't belong there really quick. We got him when his was about a year and a half old from some people that we doing a permanent change of station to England (we were Air Force). They were thrilled that we wanted hm, as they were shipping out in 2 days and no one wanted Bear. It turns out they fed him ON the kitchen counter so the dog wouldn't get his food. That was not going to work at my house. His food bowls went on my dryer in the laundry room. He popped up on the counter one day and I turned, swept him off the counter with my arm and told him no. Smart cat never jumped up again. He never got on the dining table. either.

tsladaritz
January 23rd, 2018, 07:50 PM
We have 1 who gets on them when he gets bored. He likes to go outside so he can run around and explore. That tires him enough that he sleeps or lays about inside.
Foil does work for most. They do not like the crinkle.
Sticky tape works for most. My big cat will just fiddle with it till she gets it off the chairs I put it on and continue to scratch them. grrr
They will traverse across anything to get where they want to be. If you have clear areas on top of cabinet and a good jumper it will be on counters to jump up on cabinets as they love to be high.
If you have clear window sills they will jump in those to look outside.
If you have anything warm or close to where you work, they will get on that just to be nearby.
My suggestions are to have a cat tree- so it can get high and be in it's own 'zone' where it won't be bothered, put foil on counters or anything else you want it to stay off but be sure to pick up things. Like a toddler, you don't leave candy about to tempt them to try to climb up and eat it. They are same way but smarter and more stubborn.
Squirt bottles work for some but not all (not my current ones but it did on past ones).
Also make sure it gets some time outside where it can explore, climb, jump, stalk the birds (my big cat only stalk- never catch or eat. My little cat will kill it or torture it so I have to time his playtime)