PDA

View Full Version : Mini Rant

Carlie Wolf
January 18th, 2018, 02:57 PM
I have a neighbor who generally will ask me to do things for her in a pinch. I most often do if it's something I'm able to, either time or talent wise. We talk on the phone a few times a month.

I phoned her this morning but since she was driving in the car she said she'd call me back after her appointment. She did. We were talking for about three or four minutes when she had to switch to another incoming call and came back on. We're talking for about another three or four minutes and she suddenly says "I'm going to have to go because my friend Tammy just called and I want to call her back." I said very dramatically "Not a problem, I KNOW I'mmmm not important."

I wonder if this is the same Tammy that she went to lunch with the day she canceled our lunch date about three months ago because she was "sick". She then forgot and mentioned her lunch with her friend a week later...on the same day.

Some days I just find some people downright annoying. No, fortunately, I don't consider her in my "best" friend category, thank god, although she always makes it a point to say that to me when she asks for something .

auntstuff
January 18th, 2018, 03:10 PM
Perhaps you don't say "no" often enough.

MaggieSue
January 18th, 2018, 04:21 PM
Yup, had a friend just like that! No longer spend any time with her!

pewa88
January 18th, 2018, 06:05 PM
Sounds like a few "friends" of mine that I have put into the "user" column. I had a wise person tell me one time that we are only taken advantage of if we allow it. It has taken me a long time to learn to say no but it gets easier every time.

LindaKay75
January 18th, 2018, 06:06 PM
She sounds like what I call a USER. I'd be done with her period. Just my opinion about people like that.

JCY
January 18th, 2018, 07:56 PM
I hate call waiting! When a person puts you on hold to take another call, then comes back & says they need to take this call, it just makes you feel unimportant. I think I would distance myself from that "friend."

Kgrammiecaz
January 18th, 2018, 07:59 PM
I hate call waiting! When a person puts you on hold to take another call, then comes back & says they need to take this call, it just makes you feel unimportant. I think I would distance myself from that "friend."

I agree. The only reason I see for call waiting is for an emergency. Even on my cell, unless it is one of my kids, I do not take another all while speaking with someone. And then, if not an emergency I go right back to my original call.

Carlie Wolf
January 18th, 2018, 08:31 PM
So true that we are only taken advantage of if we allow it. For most things I have the three strikes and you're out rule. First time maybe I'm mistaken, second time humm this might be something I need to watch, third time you're out.

I hate call waiting too. Nine times out of ten I would disconnect someone by mistake so I don't use it anymore. With caller ID it's not like we won't know who to call back.

Anitamae56
January 18th, 2018, 09:20 PM
I don't like that call waiting thing either! I also think your "friend" is user, I call those people fair weather friends. I am sure she does other people like that too. I always feel like those type of people are usually just to much weight on me. I hope you can back off graciously and just remember it is only a friendship only for THEIR need.
Have a better day!

pcbatiks
January 18th, 2018, 09:23 PM
Next time she ask you to do something for her.......tell her "I can't I have plans with a friend." :D

I agree with Joy.....I would distance myself from that "friend".

Vonnie
January 18th, 2018, 10:52 PM
Unfriend her. :icon_mad:

auntiemern
January 19th, 2018, 12:07 AM
I would definitely distance my self from this 'friend'.

Sylvia H
January 19th, 2018, 06:18 AM
I had a few friends like her in the past. Once I wised up to what was happening, I politely left the friendship. In each case, I missed the friendship at first, but realized that they really didn't feel the same way as I did.

grammaterry
January 19th, 2018, 12:36 PM
My friends are my children. I haven't been able to cultivate girlfriend relationships because they interfere with my DH relationship. We do most everything together. I have a few acquaintances that if I need social contact, I will call and invite them to go with me, but that is pretty rare. Friendship means different things to different people. When I was selling real estate, clients who bought houses would latch on to me for a while wanting to be buddies. One in particular was always bringing me cookies and coming to hang out at our house. I finally explained to her that at some point, we might become friends but that a friend had to be willing to be there no matter what...good or bad..and I wasn't ready to commit to the time it would take to do that. WIth 6 children of our own, my "be there time" was limited. She understood and found more suitable women and we remained friendly as aquaintances.

JCY
January 19th, 2018, 08:24 PM
Hey, Terry, you've got all of us -- your cyber friends! Most of us probably will never meet in person, but we're all here for each other, & hopefully, we're not interfering with DH's relationship or family time.

Connie Jo
January 20th, 2018, 11:01 AM
My uncle always says if you want to be a doormat, lay down.