PDA

View Full Version : LUNCH SURPRISE

LauraP
January 17th, 2018, 06:54 PM
We had to go to Blythe, Ca to get parts for my car and stopped in to Sizzler for lunch. We were almost done when a large group of ladies came in. Being nosy I asked a group what they were. Turns out they were a bus group of quilters going to a quilt show in Ontario, Ca. They were the nicest people but my little group didn't know if any of the larger group where M* forum members. You just never know where you are going to run across quilters!

Caroline T.
January 17th, 2018, 07:10 PM
One way to find out if there is a forum member (or at least a Jenny Fan) in a large group....

Using your smartphone or tablet, log onto one of Jenny's tutorials. Soon as the theme song comes on, you'll know!

bubba
January 17th, 2018, 10:12 PM
I was at Fabric Depot once while the show at Sisters was going on. Four buses full of women pulled up and they put an announcement out. This was 30 minutes before closing. I hurried and got in line at the cutting counter.....I can only imagine that nightmare. The clerks said it goes on all week long, several times a day during that week.

Hulamoon
January 17th, 2018, 10:26 PM
There are still sizzlers around? Ours shut down about 15-20 yrs ago. I miss the salad bar!

snippet
January 17th, 2018, 11:41 PM
There are still sizzlers around? Ours shut down about 15-20 yrs ago. I miss the salad bar!
I was thinking that too! I miss Sizzlers.

yeah, the MSQC intro should get a lot of quilters attention.... good idea.

MissMay
January 18th, 2018, 01:01 AM
Running into quilters is always a treat for them and for us also.

We were in Amsterdam a few years ago when I spied a fabric shop, think it was called Piecing Fabrics. DH knew we had to stop and check it out. While I browsed through the shop DH was speaking to the owner when another customer overheard my DH mention the Lancaster PA show. The customer joined the conversation telling us she was from England and that she and some friends went to that show often. They each took an empty suitcase for all the fabrics and supplies they bought at the show and in the town because of such low prices and better variety found at home.

Caroline T.
January 18th, 2018, 03:04 AM

A club I belong to (non quilt related) has their monthly meeting at Sizzlers, for the last 6 years I have been there once a month, and for the last 6 months i've eaten else where before the meeting. I got to say, staff is great, but the food is over priced and not so great.

bubba
January 18th, 2018, 05:17 AM
A club I belong to (non quilt related) has their monthly meeting at Sizzlers, for the last 6 years I have been there once a month, and for the last 6 months i've eaten else where before the meeting. I got to say, staff is great, but the food is over priced and not so great.

MM occasionally likes to go there, but it's not my first choice. My dad used to love it!!

Carol336
January 18th, 2018, 07:59 AM

I was thinking the same thing. Used to love eating there, but ours have been gone at least 25 years. Funny story.....DH and I dated on and off for 4 years before getting engaged. During one of our "off" periods, out of the blue, he called me late one Sunday afternoon. He said his parents were out of town and would I like to go have dinner with him at the Sizzler. Now my family ate dinner mid afternoon on Sundays, and we had just gotten up from table and my sisters and I were doing the dishes when he called. I was a skinny girl back then with a tiny little appetite. But I begged my Mom to let me go, which pissed my sisters off because I got out of dish detail - LOL. Anyway - I went to the Sizzler with him and ate a big ole steak with all the trimmings. We laugh about that to this day!!!!

grammaterry
January 18th, 2018, 01:53 PM
I think we all liked sizzler back in the 70-80's era. That was the only time we had steak and we didn't know that it could be better. It was priced to attract middle America and give them a taste for going out to restaurants. I didn't know they still existed but apparently they are out west still. We had one in our county and I remember going there for Mothers day in about 1983 with all 6 kids. It was a big treat to get a restaurant meal. That franchise has shut down but the building is still there and has tried without success to be other restaurants thru the years. They had a very iconic architecture.
But, to stay with the theme of this thread, it seems quilters are everywhere. I've not run into bus loads of them, but I bet that is a sight to behold.

Carol336
January 18th, 2018, 04:18 PM
Well it looks like I made a little booboo!!! DH informs me that the steak place we went to that Sunday afternoon 55 or so years ago was called Rustler...not Sizzler.....same concept though - char grilled steaks.