PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Trivia: USA

Star lover
January 16th, 2018, 08:47 AM
Part ??????

Interesting USA facts:

- At 46 letters, Massachusetts’s Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg has the longest place name in the U.S. (even though it's based on a joke). Comes from the Algonquian language and said to mean: "Fishing Place at the Boundaries -- Neutral Meeting Grounds." The humorous translation is: "You fish on your side, I'll fish on my side, and nobody fish in the middle"

- In 1922, a man built a house and all his furniture entirely out of 100,000 newspapers. The structure still stands today in Rockport, Massachusetts. There's even a piano made of newspapers!

- The entire Denver International Airport is twice the size of Manhattan.

- One sunrise in Maui is so popular, you have to pay to see it. Located in Maui Haleakala National Park.

- In 1893, an amendment was proposed to rename the country to the "United States of Earth."

OK, the following is on by bucket list! I've been waiting to post this for a loooooong time. Yeah, today is the day! OK, maybe too much build up......

- A highway in Lancaster, California plays the “William Tell Overture” as you drive over it, thanks to some well-placed grooves in the road.

Now, how cool is that! Can't wait to ....hear this one!

Thank you Sandy Navas! To be continued......

Hulamoon
January 16th, 2018, 09:19 AM
Very interesting stuff! The sunrise on Maui was a surprise to me. When I first moved here it was free to get into the park and there was hardly anyone up there. Now you have to have a reservation? If anyone does decide to go up...beware it's freaking freezing!

NanaMaggie
January 16th, 2018, 09:21 AM
William Tell Overture? Cool! Must be time to go fishing :icon_bigsmile:

Juliet Taylor
January 17th, 2018, 08:02 AM
I would definitely pay to experience a beautiful sunset. I don't mind. I think it's right if it's done to protect a beautiful area :)

Hulamoon
January 17th, 2018, 09:35 AM
I would definitely pay to experience a beautiful sunset. I don't mind. I think it's right if it's done to protect a beautiful area :)

If you want to see the sunset you can stay down on the beach. :icon_cool:

grammaterry
January 17th, 2018, 01:12 PM
Humm...wm tell overture...why don't we see neat stuff like this on tv. Maybe its time you take this trivia stuff on the road Anita and make a killing. All the reality tv that is out there...yours would be interesting at least.