PDA

View Full Version : Monday hellos

Monique
January 15th, 2018, 09:58 AM

Good morning friends. I hope all of you who are sick are starting to feel better.

I had a fairly quiet weekend. On Saturday we headed to Ottawa, hubby has found a cabinet on Kiijijii for $40. That is the LAST cabinet I ever let him buy. We just don't have room. I bought myself new Sorel winter boots with a gift card from Bayshore (shopping centre) and the balance went to Walmart where I bought more yarn to make dishcloths.

Yesterday I started cutting up clothes for a memory quilt I am making. Bonnie is coming today for a sew day, not sure what I will work on.

So have a great day friends and stay warm. This deep freeze won't last long right?

Spring is just around the corner - 64 days, 5 hours, 27 minutes

JCY
January 15th, 2018, 10:09 AM
Good Monday Morning ~ It promises to be a cloudy day with chance of 1-2" of snow & very cold. So thankful for central heating.

I made progress yest. afternoon with the FMQ until the needle broke. Took the plate off & looked for the tip, but couldn't find it. I made sure things were working freely. I set aside the quilt till later & resumed my piecing project.

I watched (for the 2nd time) Donna Jordan's tutorial on the Kaffe Fassett - Abundance Pattern. (Free PDF instructions on their web site.) She saw Kaffe when she was at the Houston show & saw this quilt. It's larger than I want to make; she uses 8" squares for the HSTs. I think I would use 5" charms for the HSTs. Here's another one on my bucket list.

I know today is a holiday for some. If so, enjoy the longer week end. Today will be the usual laundry & more FMQ.

Cokie
January 15th, 2018, 10:20 AM
Love this one, Monique!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
January 15th, 2018, 11:23 AM
It promises to be another cold day in Ottawa. I am getting together for a girlfriend's birthday dinner we postponed on Saturday. I was feeling sick, tired and didn't want to go out. I think I was just wiped from all of last week's outings and activities. Also being around 2 sick grandkids for part of a day was enough to get run down.
On the upside, I did quilt a queen size top Summer in The Park that had been waiting for quilting for a few years. While I sat resting, I hand sewed the binding. I just need to add some quilting in the border and labels, and it will be another UFO done.

grammaterry
January 15th, 2018, 11:27 AM
I am headed to Asheville today (70 miles to the stores) and I am going to try to reinvent my self from Chef/restarauntur to retired/trendy volunteer woman. hehehe. I've never been trendy but I am going to try on some legging's and some tall boots and one of those long tops . If I look stupid, I'll probably come home empty handed. But I' have it in my mind that I want something trendy.
I'm going to stop at Tuesday morning (yes, I found out where they moved) and see if our store has those charm packs. That way my day would not be a total loss.
I might even pick up some take out.

Nwmnteacher
January 15th, 2018, 12:04 PM
Good morning all,

Another clipper coming through! It started yesterday while I was at work. Since it was slow at the store, the manager let me leave two hours early so I could get home before dark. It took me an extra half hour to get home; sometimes I could barely see a few feet beyond the hood of the truck. (Hubby insisted I drive the big 4x4) The wind blew all night, and the advisory is on until noon today. Many of the area schools have the day off because of the Martin Luther King holiday, and most of the others called school off due to the weather.

Flannel was on sale at JoAnns, 60% off, so I picked up some remnants for making receiving blankets. The remnants are such an amazing deal when the fabric is already on sale.....50% off 60% off....the store is practically paying you to take them!

I finally received the Harry Potter fabric I ordered from Ebay. It took well over a week to arrive. I plan to finish the last row on the Pins and Paws quilt today. I'm still debating over the border. I didn't see anything in my stash that would work. Also on the agenda today is finishing the Secret Santa '18 gift.

It's a good day to stay indoors and sew. I hope everyone is doing well. The crud seems to have gone through all of us at work, so I'm hoping we're all "predisastered" for the rest of the winter.

Jeanne

Ginny B
January 15th, 2018, 01:22 PM
Good morning all. It's a grey day here and we may get some snow/rain tomorrow. Hopefully after my son's plane takes off tomorrow afternoon. Don't want any issues. Of course, I'd be happy to have him here another day. Three of my boys are here so I am enjoying the last week for sure. Well, except for the part where I had to go to the ER and get a couple stitches in the bridge of my nose, exrays and a tetanus shot. Ugh. I was "de-Christmasing" and reached for something on a shelf above my head when a base for a santa that was up there slid off and came crashing down on my nose. It bled like crazy. Scared hubby and off we went to the ER. Nothing broken but it was a deep gash so they decided it needed to be stitched. The swelling has gone down a lot already and there really isn't any bad bruising. Just a little discoloration. Of course, for some reason I feel all achy. No scratchy throat or cough or stuffiness. Just body aches. My one son thought maybe it was a reaction to the tetanus shot. I don't know.

So, Tim and Rob will be here until tomorrow. Johnny will be leaving tonight and then on Wednesday I go back to work for one day then off to take hubby in for his cateract surgery and also I need to get the stitches taken out that day.

I have not had much time in the sewing room this week but I've got projects lined up for when the house is empty again.

Keep warm everyone. Happy shopping to those of you who are venturing out to stores. I will just be home enjoying being with my boys. And hubby is bringing home pizza so no cooking. Woo Hoo

Carolnnc
January 15th, 2018, 01:30 PM
Good Morning to all. It seems Old Man Winter has everyone in his grip & we are all wishing for spring.

Battling a sinus infection so I don't really feel my best. I have stood over a pot of steaming water so much I think I look like one of those California Raisin figurines my kids had in the mid 1980s. I'm trying my best to stay out of the doctor's office since the flu is rampant. I had my flu shot but not willing to take any chances.

Not much on my plate for today. I want to get one wall painted in the 3rd bedroom to get my momentum going. I lost the will and determination to get through my house painting.

Have a wonderful day!

MaggieSue
January 15th, 2018, 03:50 PM
Morning, we finally are above zero! Oh happy day!!! Sure hope Bubby is on the mend noticed she did not post this morning. Carolnnc, I hear your concern, so much going around and I have my check up with labs tomorrow, at first I decided to reschedule due to the flu, but I will wear a mask when I walk in the clinic and wash hands so I should be okay. Gotta keep up with my BS.
Ginny, enjoy your boys and watch out for falling items. Better than you falling I think.
Nwmnteacher, so glad you got home safe, nice that you were allowed to leave early.
Grammaterry, hope your shopping goes well. Do let us know.
SuzanneOrleansOntario, congrats on completing a UFO, enjoy your outing.
JCY must check out Donna Jordan's tutorial on the Kaffe Fassett - Abundance Pattern .
Monique, enjoy your day sewing with Bonnie.

KPH
January 15th, 2018, 06:26 PM
So glad you're all doing well and so busy. I'm just getting up and won't be up long. My grands little tummy virus has hit me with a vengeance, been up and down since 2 this morning. I told DH at 7 to call Nana and tell her we can't take the kids and went back to be. Slept hard until almost 11. I've napped most of the day and still feel like I'm worn out.

I did finish up the last of the hexies yesterday afternoon. They're all in the shoe box where I left them. I'll start sorting them into 7 pieces. Once those are sorted I'll start stitching them together. I still have another DD layer cake if it needs to get bigger, lol, I hope not!

I decided to make the easy hour glass with the 2 layer cakes I bought for DS#1's new bedroom. Unfortunately, it won't be going to them. I may just get the top ready and finish it when there is a need.

I hope everyone has a great day. Stay healthy and warm.

JCY
January 15th, 2018, 06:47 PM
Terry ~ Do let us know how your shopping day went. That's quite a jaunt to go shopping. But it should be just a treat to get out of the house & into town to shop, even if you don't buy anything. I'm still shopping for elastic waist women's jeans. None of the local stores carry what I want. I'll probably have to order on line & hope they fit. The last jeans I bought were the "Cabin Creek" brand at Penneys. Our store closed last summer, & I don't see the same product on their web site.

It snowed all morning; we got 1.5". It's supposed to be down to 4 deg. in the morning! Brrr.