PDA

View Full Version : Any armchair interior decorators?

Hulamoon
January 14th, 2018, 05:59 PM
When my auntie passed in Calif passed I brought back a vintage Art Deco lamp home. I had to ditch the shade because it was just too big to ship. I figured how hard would it be to get a new shade. Ha, more than you would think. I looked all over the island and nothing. So I'm going to order online. I also have to get it rewired. ugg

From table to top it's about 14'' and then the stem brings it to 21''.It had an old fashioned pleated A-line type. I need other ideas.Barrel maybe?

K. McEuen
January 14th, 2018, 06:17 PM
I bet that pleated shade wasn't the original. If by barrel you mean just straight up and down on the sides, top and bottom same size circle, yes. I think that would look good.

If it is just a single lamp (not 3 way) it should be easy enough for you to rewire yourself. I have made lamps before and done my own wiring. It was simple. You know there are tutorials on Youtube for it.

Ok, seems they call them drum shades.

https://www.wayfair.com/lighting/pdp/latitude-run-15-traditional-linen-drum-lamp-shade-latt4402.html?piid=21222995

Sandy Navas
January 14th, 2018, 08:29 PM
Karen took the words out of my mouth. She can do that, you know. I had my mouth open.

KPH
January 14th, 2018, 08:42 PM
I have a lamp that my mom and dad bought ages ago, it's a cypress knee. I guess they might have gotten it at cypress gardens back in the 60s. I've been looking for a drum lamp shade that wouldn't over power the lamp. The one that's on it now is too small.

grammaterry
January 14th, 2018, 09:38 PM
I bought a custom made lamp for my son the car enthusiast. It was made from a cam shaft. It was gorgeous but no shade or harp. He thought about what kind of shade and he was going to put an aluminum wheel on it but decided on two air filters (the white pleated old school ones. It was perfect.
Think outside the box. If this is a tru art deco piece, and, since you are in th islands. why don't you get a shade frame and try using fabric...maybe even like a landscape pieced shade or a tree or something hawaian.

Hulamoon
January 14th, 2018, 09:45 PM
I bet that pleated shade wasn't the original. If by barrel you mean just straight up and down on the sides, top and bottom same size circle, yes. I think that would look good.

If it is just a single lamp (not 3 way) it should be easy enough for you to rewire yourself. I have made lamps before and done my own wiring. It was simple. You know there are tutorials on Youtube for it.

Ok, seems they call them drum shades.

https://www.wayfair.com/lighting/pdp/latitude-run-15-traditional-linen-drum-lamp-shade-latt4402.html?piid=21222995

Drum was the word I was looking for! I found one that was a little tapered, so I'm thinking that over plus maybe a dark shade?

It is vintage Art Deco and I would never mix Hawaiian in it. Hawaiian lamps here are mixed with Koa or other local woods, hula girls or pineapples. lol

Hulamoon
January 15th, 2018, 12:06 AM
Have you checked Ebay?

I was asking about style. I will look there when I make my mind up though :)

K. McEuen
January 15th, 2018, 12:52 AM
Light, dark, or medium, it all depends on how much light you want it to put off. Ha, you noticed I posted the lightest color shade possible because my house is like a cave, I need all the light I can get.

Hulamoon
January 15th, 2018, 10:00 AM
My house is totally opposite. There are so many windows that I hardly have a place to hang a picture.

I'm going to check out the wiring videos you mentioned and ask one of my dd's to help. She changed my garbage disposal, so a lamp couldn't be that hard.

tamsterg7
January 15th, 2018, 08:00 PM
Yes, barrell / drum would look good? What color is your room? I love color, so I would pull something bright from the decorative colors ar the bottom for the shade - like yellow!