PDA

View Full Version : London's Calling - help from UK members?

RockinLou
January 14th, 2018, 11:07 AM
My husband and I will be in London next week, at a job fair, but we're hoping to have some time to see museums and get out and about a bit as well.

Any must see quilting or fabric shops in London? (I do sew clothing as well). Last time I was in London was 9 years ago, and last time I spent any decent time there was 18 years ago, and at that time I hadn't yet learned to sew!

We're staying on the west end of Hyde Park, not far from Kensington High St.

I definitely want to go to Liberty, anywhere else I should try to sneak off to?

lourixe
January 14th, 2018, 01:21 PM
I only started quilting 6 years ago and didn't go to London since, but be prepared for high prices for fabric like everywhere else in Europe. The Victoria & Albert Museum has interesting collections of textile art besides other decorative arts and is close to where you are staying.

RockinLou
January 14th, 2018, 01:38 PM
I know prices will be high, but I love fabric souvenirs :-)

MissMay
January 14th, 2018, 02:55 PM
Hey Lou, Good to see you on the forum.

We have been to London several times but I have no suggestions. Last time I had recently begun quilting so I was on the lookout for shops with fabric but my quest was unsuccessful. it wasn't that I didn't try it was mostly because we had 2 DGDs with us, ages 9 and 15, they and DH had no interest. We did get to see a show, have ice cream in Piccadilly Circus, saw a musical, visited museums and beautiful parks, attend a performance at the Globe and even went to France but no fabric was bought. The thing the girls loved most about their trip was their Mind The Gap tee shirts. Hope someone can give you some more helpful advice.

Know you'll have a good trip but getting to see and maybe buy some fabric would make it a Great time, Miss May AKA May in Jersey

K. McEuen
January 14th, 2018, 03:59 PM
I've not been to London, but one of my favorite brands of fabrics is from the UK. I would love to find it in its native habitat.

https://www.fabricfreedom-perfectoccasions.com/about-us

JCY
January 14th, 2018, 04:35 PM
I traveled to the UK in 1998, but that was prior to my getting into quilting. My son was in the Air Force over there. We spent a day in London, took the bus tour, visited the Tower of London, saw the crown jewels, Harrod's, saw the outside of Buckingham Palace, the park, ate a late supper near Soho & Picadilly Square. Most of our sight seeing was in other parts of the UK -- Sandringham, Ely Cathedral, Warwick Castle, & had a lot of family time. I hope you enjoy your visit there.

lourixe
January 14th, 2018, 05:03 PM
As a clue: these are the exhibitors (https://www.theknittingandstitchingshow.com/spring/exhibitor/) that have registered for the next Stitching and Knitting show in London. I also found on line several references about Goldhawk Road in West London being a mecca for sewists (http://www.wanderstitch.com/discussion/fabric-shopping-at-goldhawk-road/), with a real concentration of fabric shops.

MaryUK
January 14th, 2018, 09:06 PM
Unfortunately I can't really help as apart from going on business, the other times I have visited has been before I was interested in quilting. However, I am a member of a UK sewing forum and have put a shout out for you, will let you know if I hear anything.

I do know that the East End of London is/was the home of the 'rag trade' and there are fabric shops there but may be the other side of the city to where you are staying.

I agree with Karen Fabric Freedom does a lovely line in quilting fabric. Also have a look out for Lewis & Irene, they are a fast growing company and their lines are gorgeous (somewhat muted colours). I have used their yardage on a couple of quilts and I have some LC, JR & CP on my stash.

KarenC
January 14th, 2018, 10:45 PM
I just sewed some items for a friend's daughter using Lewis & Irene fabric. It was beautiful. Don't have any suggestions, but enjoy your trip and good luck with the job fair.

MaryUK
January 15th, 2018, 01:10 PM
Unfortunately I haven't heard anything from my UK sewing group about shops in London. However I've just googled fabric shops and there is a site which gives information broken down by North, South, East, West and Central London. It includes a map and the names of shops, you could then check them out on line before your trip.

Hope your job fair goes well.

RockinLou
January 15th, 2018, 01:41 PM
Hey Lou, Good to see you on the forum.

We have been to London several times but I have no suggestions. Last time I had recently begun quilting so I was on the lookout for shops with fabric but my quest was unsuccessful. it wasn't that I didn't try it was mostly because we had 2 DGDs with us, ages 9 and 15, they and DH had no interest. We did get to see a show, have ice cream in Piccadilly Circus, saw a musical, visited museums and beautiful parks, attend a performance at the Globe and even went to France but no fabric was bought. The thing the girls loved most about their trip was their Mind The Gap tee shirts. Hope someone can give you some more helpful advice.

Know you'll have a good trip but getting to see and maybe buy some fabric would make it a Great time, Miss May AKA May in Jersey

I thought that was you <3 I hope you are well, good to see you around again too!

RockinLou
January 15th, 2018, 01:43 PM
Thank you all for the tips and advice! it's funny, because I was last in London for more than 24 hours about 18 years ago... I was still in college, but I picked up quilting just a few months after graduation... so I suppose I've been quilting for about 16 years now, and I have a hard time now remembering going anyway "before quilting".... kind of like I can't really remember life without my DH... we've known each other for 13 years now, and have been married for almost 11...

... life before quilting... huh... haven't thought of that in ages ;)

RockinLou
January 15th, 2018, 01:55 PM
I just sewed some items for a friend's daughter using Lewis & Irene fabric. It was beautiful. Don't have any suggestions, but enjoy your trip and good luck with the job fair.

Thanks! We can't decide if we want another international post or not! We've been in Kazakhstan for 5 years and resigned our positions for next year, so we are venturing into the unknown right now... with moving home to the US as the back-up-plan. I'll keep everyone posted. This will be our first trip away from the kids that could potentially be fun ;-)