PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Morning Hellos - It's a Foggy One!

JCY
January 13th, 2018, 12:26 PM
Good Morning ~ I was here briefly before 6 a.m., but didn't have time to post. I don't see a Sat. thread, so I'll start. I was surprised when I opened the drapes this morning to see thick fog. I can barely see a block down the street. This kind of fog happens rarely here. It's 28 deg.; there's frost on everything. We're supposed to see 48-50 today. Yest. was cloudy & damp with a brisk wind chill. The sun finally came out in the afternoon.

Yest. a.m. I ran errands. The first stop was the tire shop where they took my car right in. (DH had called ahead.) Hopefully the slow leak is fixed now. They had the tire off the rim, smoothed the edges of the rim, put new sealant on, new valve stem, etc. (That tire is only 11 mos. old.) The next stop was the groc. store for beets, then the bakery for bread (for me). Then to the bank to get a print out of interest receipts for 2017 so I'll have them for taxes. Last stop was Panda Express for Chinese take-out, which makes 2 meals for me.

As soon as I finished my lunch, I started on the beets. I bought 14 large beets; I had to use 3 kettles. Because they were so large & cold, it took a good 1 hr. 45 min. for them to cook. I wear disp. gloves when I do beets so my hands don't get colored up from the beet juice. By the time I had them all skinned & cut up, I had almost a dishpan full of beets! I filled 12 freezer containers & saved out 2 servings for myself. Glad that job is done for a while.

In the evening, I did more sorting & pressing of scraps. I want to get them organized so I can see what I have. I'm going to donate some of them to another quilter. While I was sorting, I was visualizing the previous projects & quilts I'd made from the various fabrics. I think Bonnie Hunter saves strips & pieces as small as 2". She really is the queen of scraps. I also broke in my new Black & Decker steam iron, which came last week from Amazon. I read the instructions. It says to use tap water, which is what I'll do. I used distilled water in my old iron. We'll see if this one lasts longer than the 4 yrs. the last one did.

I expect some of you will have a 3-d. wk.-end with MLK Day on Mon. Anyway, have a good quilty week-end!

Cokie
January 13th, 2018, 12:46 PM
Morning, all. Been up for a while. The "crud" isn't letting me sleep much, although I think I might be a bit better this morning. DH has it too, and I haven't heard him cough in quite some time - he's still sleeping. Will be glad when this passes. As long as I'm not coughing, it's not as bad. What a winter for this stuff! DS stopped by earlier to drop off his house keys. He's headed out west for a couple weeks to see a friend and visit with my parents. I don't envy his long bus ride! Hoping to sew today. I have the next row laid out for my UFO of the month, and the 3rd row is ready to be pieced so it can be added next. Would like to get both of those done today. I'm just happy to have my sewing machine set up again - maybe I'll get back in the swing of things soon.

It's a bright sunny day right now, but I'm not sure if it's supposed to last. We had several inches of snow yesterday and last night, starting with freezing rain in the afternoon. Seems like the road crews did a good job with that - the cars on the street don't seem to be having any trouble getting around.

Happy Saturday, everyone. Hugs to all and special prayers for those who need them today.

MaggieSue
January 13th, 2018, 02:00 PM
It was eleven below here when I got up, is now up to 5 below, but the sun is shining today. My brother picked me up so I did not have to start my car to drive a few blocks to my Mothers house I do her pills a week at a time and my brother does her house work vacuuming and scrubbing floors. So I did the vacuuming and he did the floors and then I did the pills, done in little over an hour. My friend is making meat loaf and potatoes for dinner so soon I will go over there. Making aprons for the ladies that will be hosting me for my vacation in February. Will finish the 2nd one today and then make matching pot holders or place mats. Have a great day! Cokie, sorry you have the crud, take care!

Bubby
January 13th, 2018, 02:16 PM
Morning All....Jeff took me to the ER at the hospital in Houston early this morning. We tried to wait until the sun was beginning to come up in case we hit ice and ran off the road. It's always nice to be found when it's -15 degrees.

After loads of labs, x-rays, breathing treatments, heart monitoring I found out I have Influenza B and severe bronchitis in both lungs. I have new meds (again) and will begin taking them today. I hope for enough relief to get some sleep. This has not been fun. Except for when my gallbladder ruptured, last night was the sickest event I've ever had.

Onward and onward...heading for bed. Have a good day.....special thanks for everyone who has been praying.

Star lover
January 13th, 2018, 02:30 PM
Oh my Barb, so thankful you went to ER, the flu has been the worst this year! Praying the meds kick in big time and you're feeling better soon.
Cokie, sure hope the crud behaves itself and LEAVES!
Maggie, what a sweetheart you and your brother are in taking care of your mum.
Joy, I'm still in awe of all that you do.....you're the picture of the energizer bunny!

Freezing cold here and super windy. Branches, limbs down all over. I'm thankful for the power and heat!

Yup, my DH has Monday off and a M* tracking says I'm to get a package that day......maybe not? Time will tell.

Hope everyone stays or gets healthy! Hugs to all! ❤️

Carolnnc
January 13th, 2018, 02:31 PM
JYC: I'm always amazed at how busy you are! Beets are one of my favorites but I've never cooked fresh ones.
Cokie: I hope you & DH get better soon. I can remember getting mom's homemade cough syrup as a kid. It was equal parts of whiskey, lemon & honey & I thought it tasted awful but it sure worked.
Maggie Sue: 11 below! I'm getting ready to whine because it's dropping to 32 degrees here.
Barb: Oh my! I am so glad you went to the hospital & hope a quick recovery is on the way!

As usual I'm late to the party but checking in anyway. I need to quit reading until the clock shows 3 am and sleeping til 10!
It was a beautiful 70 degrees yesterday so DH & I took down all the outdoor Christmas decorations & cleaned up the yard a bit. I found a little garden snake (dead) & three small mice (also dead). I scooped them all up, gave them a brief ceremony & burial so the neighbors dog wouldn't find them and possibly eat them.

Today the temperature will tank again & we will get some cold (yuck) temperatures for a while. I love the four seasons but do find myself getting tired of the cold about mid-winter.

I think that today will be a lazy day for me since I am tired & sore from all the work yesterday. I am ready to paint the last bedroom so I will probably clean the baseboards, put up the painter's tape & call it done for this day.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

sewbizzy
January 13th, 2018, 03:07 PM
I don't usually post here, but read it and enjoy this post everyday...we got about 6-8 inches here according to my dh who went out to clean off the truck...our neighbor was kind enough to shovel the sidewalk...he and another younger neighbor did everyone's sidewalk on our block...we live on a cul-de-sac that has about 12 houses...most of us have lived here for 50+ years and are up in age....so, it is so nice of them to shovel for us...
Joy, you are always busy...I am amazed at all you do...my dh and I love beets but have never cooked them from fresh either...when we go to Berlin, Ohio each year, we buy several jars of the Amish baby beets and they last us a good while...
Cokie, I hope you feel better soon, too...sending healing prayers
Maggie Sue, you are a busy one too...thank heavens your Mom has you and your brother close to her...
Starlover, I always like to read what you post...we have had very cold weather this year too as well as a lot of the country...
Barb, I am sending healing prayers that you and Jeff will feel better with the new meds...

I am planning on sewing some today...I have been making pillowcases....and, filling in with items for craft shows in the spring---potholders, pouches, etc....also I have some UFOs that need finished...I may try some of the bowl cozies...I bought some Wrap and Zap at JoAnns last week...
I hope everyone stays safe and warm...

KarenC
January 13th, 2018, 03:11 PM
So sorry for all of you who are dealing with crud and other illnesses.
Joy, I wish my irons would last 3-4 years. The last 2 I have had lasted 2 years or less. I'm so done with spending money on irons. May have to switch to quit using steam, and go back to the old spray bottle.
No stitching done yesterday. Made the trip downtown to pick up packets for the marathon tomorrow. It gave me something to do with the baby instead of just being inside with her. She was such a good baby. Had breakfast with the walking group today to hand out packets and wish everyone good luck for tomorrow. I will only be a spectator this year, since I've had a flare up of arthritis in the knee.
Was almost finished quilting a baby quilt for a gift, when I realized yesterday that I tore a hole in it. It's not big, and I can probably fix it, but would hate to gift it knowing I patched it. So I guess I'll finish the quilting here in a bit, and then just make a new one for the gift. This one can then be a donation quilt.
Hope everyone can stay healthy or get healthy. Have a great weekend.

KPH
January 13th, 2018, 04:17 PM
Here it is the middle of the afternoon and I'm just joining the party. DS#1 called this morning, brought the kids over and we headed out to Michael's to the kid's craft this morning. They made snowmen book marks. Jim helped Esther, I helped Zeke, Jonathan took care of himself. They didn't do the corner page holder like the pictures showed, but they were cute none the less. After that we went to Zaxby's for lunch. Jonathan had a really loose tooth. Jim called, he's already lost it this afternoon.

After lunch DH and I went to Lowe's. DS#1 and DIL bought a flat of aloe vera plants on sale at Home Depot last weekend and brought us one. It needed to be re-potted. I bought two pots today and potting soil. One for the aloe and one for the poinsettia we were given for Christmas. The aloe vera has three babies in the pot that they gave us and is root bound, I know it will enjoy having room to grow.

We brought the nandinas back in to garage and put the grow light out there. Some of the leaves are turning brown from being in the dark garage. By spring, they'll be big enough to set out.

I'm supposed to get a package from M* today. I need to get the blocks out and make up my mind as to which pattern I'm going to use. I know I'll need background fabric. It would be nice if it got here early enough to go to one of the fabric shops on the other side of town.

I'm hoping that everyone that is fighting the crud, flu, and just general malaise is on the road to recovery. It's like I told DH, I'm tired of this mess, I know everyone else is too.

JCY
January 13th, 2018, 04:18 PM
Karen, I think I'll try emptying the water out of the iron at the end of each day & see if that makes a difference. With the tap water, I won't mind pitching it, but I'm frugal with distilled water. We have our own water distiller because we drink distilled water. Our city water is fluoridated; we don't want to drink it. (Personal preference & health concerns. The fluoride bothers DH's stomach.) I take my own water bottle with me wherever I go, out to eat, a potluck, etc. I keep a water bottle in each of our cars.

Star lover
January 13th, 2018, 04:42 PM
Joy and Karen, I too never emptied my iron and they died fast. For my past 2 irons, I've emptied them after using. The last one lasted 7 years, this current one I've had about 5 years and still going good. Not sure, but something to do with minerals and it clogging up stuff.....DH explained to me once......it didn't sink in deep enough, cause I can't remember why....I just do it and seems to be working. Not only do I iron fabric, I iron just about everything we wear. Weird, I know, but it's how I was brought up and can't seem to stop myself.

grammaterry
January 13th, 2018, 05:06 PM
You know Joy, I heard that bottled water also has additives that are not on the label. MY DS told me this. He said they put artificial sweeeteners in the ones that Coke and Pepsi sell. We have a well and so are not dependent on city water. What a blessing that is.
I have had the house to myself today. DH went to the gun show in Tennessee. He was so excited. Said he hadn't been able to take his time at a gun show for 10 years. Tomorrow he will go to the gunshow in Asheville. Bless his heart. His life is guns, gun shows, knives, making knives, watching hunting shows, hunting.....ugh. I read because I figure you watch one of those, you've seen them all. But what do I know.
I sort of cleaned at the house today, put on a pot of vegetable beef soup (I used 3 small filet mignons left from the restaurant) and made a pan of brownies. I figure it will be good since it has been snowing here ALL DAY LONG. Our holly tree is loaded with berries and I've enjoyed watching the birds come in and swoop them off the tree.
I was going to finish the window cover (needs about 2 hours of FMQ) but it is really cold up in the sewing room so decided to sit by the fire and read what you all are doing.
Have a great weekend. If it clears up on the roads by Monday, I may try to drive to Asheville and take advantage of the Martin Luther KIng day sales. JUst another excuse for a government holiday!!

Carolnnc
January 13th, 2018, 07:35 PM
I have had the house to myself today. DH went to the gun show in Tennessee. He was so excited. Said he hadn't been able to take his time at a gun show for 10 years. Tomorrow he will go to the gunshow in Asheville. Bless his heart. His life is guns, gun shows, knives, making knives, watching hunting shows, hunting.....ugh. I read because I figure you watch one of those, you've seen them all. But what do I know.

If he decides to come to the Dixie Knife & Gun Show at the State Fairgrounds in Raleigh in May let me know so I can look for him. There are several shows at the fairgrounds throughout the year that are sponsored by different vendors. There is also an antique and military antique show.
My step-grandpa made knives and when he passed each of the grands got a knife. My nephew has asked for mine so he'll get it when I pass.

KarenC
January 13th, 2018, 08:19 PM
Anita, I will take your advice with the newest one (still in the box), and try to be more diligent about emptying the water each time.

grammaterry
January 13th, 2018, 10:13 PM
Raleigh seems like a long way for a gun show. 6 hour drive, but he might.
If he decides to come to the Dixie Knife & Gun Show at the State Fairgrounds in Raleigh in May let me know so I can look for him. There are several shows at the fairgrounds throughout the year that are sponsored by different vendors. There is also an antique and military antique show.
My step-grandpa made knives and when he passed each of the grands got a knife. My nephew has asked for mine so he'll get it when I pass.

JCY
January 14th, 2018, 01:36 AM
Terry, I don't drink "bottled water" from the store. We have our own home water distiller which has a 4 gal. reservoir. We bought it >40 yrs. ago before we moved to Colo. because we knew the water supply here was fluoridated. In years past we had it tested & it removed >99% of everything. I fill my own water bottles that I pack wherever I go. I do buy reverse osmosis flavored vitamin water. I mix I bottle with 2 qts. of flavored teas (1/2 decaf green tea, half Celestial Seasonings flavored tea). I use this mix primarily with my Psyllium pwdr. each day, but sometimes I heat up a cup to drink it hot. Unless a water product is distilled or reverse osmosis, there is no guarantee that it is pure water. I have only 1 brand of soy milk that I'll buy because it has no sweetening or flavors & is made with RO water. Water bottles or liquid products (e.g. broths) labeled "Filtered Water" could be any city's water supply. There's no way to know if it contains chlorine or fluoride or anything else.