PDA

View Full Version : Hello Friday

Monique
January 12th, 2018, 09:54 AM

Good morning my dear friends. It is a little foggy here this morning. Temperatures are above 0C. We had heavy rain last night. For a moment I thought spring had arrived. But alas, it is not so. Freezing rain expected later today and then some snow. Cold temperatures returning. UGH!!!!!

I had the most wonderfully productive retreat this time. I actually made 5 quilt tops. 4 of them were from swaps from this forum. About time to get them put together right? I also won a game of strip poker, the strips are batiks. We also had a giveaway table and I won three things I was interested in. So all in all it was the best. Great food as always, and much more important, great friends. We were 12, half of them I knew, the other half were new friends.

So today I will unpack the sewing stuff and get some laundry done.

Have a great day friends.

Star lover
January 12th, 2018, 10:04 AM
Monique, so happy you had such a great time and finished sew much! I'm also happy you're back! It's just not the same without you.
As I get older I find I walk into stuff, not stores!

Balmy here too.....but not for long. Yesterday and this am 50's! Raining now and almost all the snow is gone. But it's gonna take a drive in temps and before noon we'll be 20. All that rain will freeze and then snow......they're now saying 7-9"!!! Have to wait and see. They are more wrong than right. Just hope it's wrong in a good way!

So wherever you are I hope you're warm and safe. Y'all have a great day. Prayers and hugs to so many!

Carlie Wolf
January 12th, 2018, 10:11 AM
It's been balmy here too for the last few days. All the ice and snow melted but alas the temps are going to plunge again this evening. They are predicting weather alerts for ice and up to three inches of snow. Last night I opened my bedroom window and I'm keeping my office window open for most of today. I'm pretending it's Spring. Also going to do a few errands today so I don't have to go out in the cold tomorrow.

I've been working on my fractured quilt pieces and today I'm getting those kitchen shades on the quilting frame. I hope to have at least one of those shades up by Sunday :-)

JCY
January 12th, 2018, 10:13 AM
Good Morning ~ Glad you had a fun & productive retreat, Monique. Sorry about the freezing rain & cold. We will have more sunshine today & ~50 deg.

I just finished watching today's tutorial on the 4 x 4 Quilt. I like it! It would be a great way to use up scraps. I have lots of 2.5" strips left over from quilt bindings as well as FQs & other scraps. If I make a baby quilt, I don't think there'd be space to curve the white blocks. I might make it go all the same direction. One more pattern goes on my to-do list.

The only sewing related activity I did yest. was to rip out threads from left-over fabric/batting trimmings. It's a job I tend to put off till later. At the price of fabric, it's worth while to do the ripping & save that fabric for another project. However, it will not be for a crumb quilt! After watching episode 1, I determined that process is not for me. I generally don't save anything <2" wide.

Today I'll take the car over & hope they can fix the slow leak in the tire. If I feel ambitious, I may buy beets & cook those up. DH's supply is running low.

Barb, how goes the recovery from pneumonia? Feeling any better yet? I've also been wondering about Sugar & her hubby. Has anyone heard from her since that one post that said they were home from the hosp.?

Well, time to fix DH's breakfast. Have a good day!

Cathy F
January 12th, 2018, 10:32 AM
Morning all

Monique, you sure we're busy, 5 tops, wow! Maybe I should do less socializing and more sewing at my retreats!

Today my daughter brings her dog out for us to babysit till next Wednesday. Should be interesting, hoping he likes it here he's only been in our house twice before for short visits.

Forcast is for rain today so I'll be spending the day inside. I won't say I'll be cleaning up my sewing room again as I've said that all week and
still haven't done much cleaning but more playing with fabric up there than anything else. Just can't get in the cleaning frame of mind to get it done, shame on me! I now have 4 of my applique blocks assembled but not started the applique stitching on them yet, will wait for that till they're all assembled on the backgrounds. I'm pleased with the way they look.

I liked Jenny's tutorial today, a good quilt for using up scraps, but I have other projects that have to be finished before I start more.

Sending hugs to those that are not feeling well and need a few extra today.

chelea
January 12th, 2018, 11:33 AM
Another couple of balmy (up to 57 today!) days then it's back down to the 20's. Such is winter in New England. Spring can't come soon enough. I got an amaryllis bulb for Christmas so I've been anxiously watching it sprout. Isn't nature a miracle...from an ugly brown bulb to a glorious flower in a few weeks. I haven't gotten any sewing done in almost a week. I've had a migraine since last Friday and my conventional meds weren't working. Tried a course of indomethacin (powerful anti-inflammatory)...nothing. Yesterday I started a 10-day course of prednisone. It doesn't usually affect my mood but does increase my appetite. And last night I slept fitfully...kept dreaming I was sewing the same block over and over, then I'd half wake up looking for the fabric. It was ugly brown to boot. At least if the fabric was colorful it would have been a more pleasant dream, haha. Hopefully I'll start to feel better this afternoon.

KPH
January 12th, 2018, 11:41 AM
Good Morning All,

Welcome home Monique. It sounds like you had a very productive retreat. Just think, 5 UFO's just about finished.

Sounds like I need to get busy and watch the tutorial. I saw the pattern yesterday on the 'new items' section. I thought it was really cute! I was thinking about using Sunny Side Up strips with black for my orange lover son's quilt for his bedroom. It would be brighter than other patterns I was looking at.

I worked on hexies yesterday. We went out to supper at the Shrimp Shack. For fast food, they certainly do make great green beans. The entrees have always been delicious, too.

It's another foggy day. Hopefully MIL didn't hear the weather correctly, she said they were calling for snow here in Jacksonville. Crossing my fingers that it's a different Jax, especially since it was in the upper 60s yesterday.

Have a great day! Prayers for those in need. Healing touches for those feeling poorly.

grammaterry
January 12th, 2018, 12:02 PM
I quilted a little while yesterday, but became really tired so I quit. I was making a lot of mistakes. Ran out of thread on the cone I was using and tried to match it up. Successfully found a shade of white that was close enough.
It is warm and overcast here but the forecast is daunting with temps plummeting.
Feeling a little down today. Nothing to look forward to I think. Nothing I want to cook or make. Oh, listen to me, complaining about this blessed life I am living. Great health, beautiful land I'm living on, a warm house, people that love me...I'll go get dressed and motivated.
You all have a terrific day

Bubby
January 12th, 2018, 12:47 PM
Morning Everyone....I still feel awful. My cough is so tight and deep and I gasp for air for a long time after each cough. I started taking Mucinex and steaming over a bowl of hot water several times a day and nothing is helping. Jeff still feels awful. Not sure what got hold of us, but this stuff is bad. Jury Duty for Jeff today was canceled due to the arctic blast. He has to go next Wednesday instead.

Good news from May about her Sis, Patti!

Have a good day everyone. Hugs...........

Simply Quilting
January 12th, 2018, 01:00 PM
Good Morning!

Monique, I'm glad to hear you had a fun and productive retreat.

Barb, I hope you and Jeff feel better soon.

On Wednesday, we enjoyed the beautiful warmer temperatures. Then yesterday came and it was icy, snow and cold. Temps have continued a downward drop. The sun is out today but it is very deceiving as it is only 3 degrees out. The weather brought with it a nasty migraine for me. I finally gave up and took my pain meds in the middle of the night. Right now, it is at least manageable to where I can function.

Hugs and prayers for those who need them.

Have a good day everyone :)

Nwmnteacher
January 12th, 2018, 01:30 PM
Terry, I can understand what you're saying about feeling down. I have days like that as well. Just like you, I tell myself I have so much to be thankful for, but you can't always reason with your mind. I tell myself, "This too shall pass." It helps me if I can get busy with something, but it isn't always easy to make the first step.

It will be a high of -9F today. Wednesday afternoon and yesterday we had a blizzard going on, what we call an Alberta Clipper, because the high winds come from the north. Fortunately, they usually last only 24 hours. Since we're only about an hour from the border, we jokingly thank our Canadian neighbors for the "gift" :-)

Yesterday I worked on a gift for the Secret Santa group, and I hope to finish it today. I work this weekend at JoAnns. I'm looking forward to it since I haven't worked in two weeks, and I miss the gals I work with.

I've been lazy this morning, so I better get myself motivated. Maybe another cup of coffee?

Take care everyone.
Jeanne

TMP
January 12th, 2018, 01:35 PM
Good morning everyone. I have a sick grandson. He ran a fever last night. Mom has to work and dad is in Atlanta, so he is spending the day with Grandmommy. He has been lucky, I guess there are 7 kids and the teacher out from his class. I think they only have 18. I am taking him to the doctor this afternoon. He is the best little fellow. He is happy just to lie on the couch and watch Paw Patrol.

It such a dreary rainy day here. Sandy is in a playful mood, well she is jumping off the walls. I know I should let her outside but she is just destroying everything out there and she gets so nasty. Remind me if I ever say I want to get another dog to get one that doesn't chew . They say labs chew for close to two years I may not have a yard or house left by then, but she is fat, cuddly and such a loving animal. Have a wonderful day!