PDA

View Full Version : Warning! Rant ahead

SallyO'Sews
January 10th, 2018, 02:58 PM
Argghh!! I'm really angry about a situation at work that does not actually involve me or my job. The higher-ups in the small, family-run company I work for have made a decision that is not illegal at all, but pretty mean and under-handed. The decision affects another very small company with whom we've done business for 30+ years. The current owner of that company called me today, very distraught because we pulled the rug out from under her and not one person here did her the courtesy of informing her that her services were no longer needed.

It's all about the money, and I get that sometimes a company must make very hard decisions in order to stay afloat. I'm just embarrassed because the people in the other company have become my friends, and I'm appalled that they are being treated this way. I'm an hourly-wage employee, so I have zero standing here. I'm also 62 years old, so I do not feel that I can go make a lot of noise about my outrage without losing my job, and at my age, I have no confidence in finding another. Also my friend at the other company swore me to secrecy regarding our phone conversation.

Grrr. I hate being this upset. I hate what this company has done (sadly, not the first time I've seen people treated badly here. That said, they have always been very good to me). I hate having to feel embarrassed for something I did not do nor approve of. I hate that my friend's company could very well go belly-up, as I believe we're one of her largest accounts. I hate that all this angst is making me want to go get the largest chocolate doughnut I can find for lunch.

Thanks, Forum, for letting me vent here. This is truly a "safe space," and I am grateful. I cannot talk to anyone about this until I get home to my family this evening; happily, I will be going to a prayer meeting beforehand, so I will at least be able to "take it to the Lord in prayer" and not unload on them overmuch. Please pray for me - I want to do the right thing. Glad my little office is at the end of the corridor and no one comes back here often.

Sorry about the rant. Hope you all have a good day.

Star lover
January 10th, 2018, 03:08 PM
Feel free to rant anytime. I'll be praying for you too. The Lord has bigger shoulders than all of us put together!

Monique
January 10th, 2018, 03:19 PM
Rant away!!!

GuitarGramma
January 10th, 2018, 03:43 PM
You know, I think that we feel the most anger when someone we care for has been wronged. I'm glad that you can come here and rant; it may help you get through the day better.

Now, here's the plan. Scripture tells us to be as gentle as doves and as wise as serpents. Your job is to figure out everything wrong with the "replacement plan" that supplanted your friend's company. Then, sweetly, oh so sweetly, keep gently mentioning, "Gee. Friend's company never caused that problem" and "Gosh. Friend's company did that so much more quickly." Become the gentle thorn in the side that might just get your friend back on board!

In the meantime, rant away!

Bubby
January 10th, 2018, 04:01 PM
Rants are welcome here. Sadly we see this too often in business anymore.

Carlie Wolf
January 10th, 2018, 04:45 PM
I understand what you are saying and certainly agree. It's unfortunate that companies that do this type of thing don't at least give a heads up before hand so their customer companies can make adjustments so they can ease into the lose of that business. A lot of smaller companies make pre purchases based on the needs of those companies they supply. When faced with a lose of the company they do business with they are stuck with those inventory purchases and it can take forever to re-coop those costs.

jjkaiser
January 10th, 2018, 04:46 PM
What a terrible position to put you in. My employer was taken over by a mega conglomerate last year and has made some ugly decisions that don't sit well with long time employees but we all know they are only interested in the $$$ and honestly could care less what the workers want or think. At least you were able to talk to the owner of the other company so that they understand you did not approve of the decision to drop their account. Today's corporate world has gotten so greedy it's really sad. (Don't get me started on why they don't pass on their significant wealth to the employees. That's another rant entirely!) Come here whenever, hope it makes you feel better at least for a little while.

DeniseSm
January 10th, 2018, 05:33 PM
I'm so sorry your innocent friends company has been hurt. You are not responsible for your employers business decisions.

Eat that chocolate donut if it makes you feel better.

TMP
January 10th, 2018, 05:38 PM
Rant all you want! I was always taught when you do someone wrong, it comes back to you. So we should all treat others in life or business as we want to be treated.

LindaKay75
January 10th, 2018, 06:13 PM
You're certainly entitled to your rants. That's one great thing about our forum friends. Always willing to listen and pray. It does help to get it out instead of holding back. I know you are feeling helpless and nothing you can do or say to help the ones that have been wronged. You said it, it's all about MONEY.

KPH
January 10th, 2018, 06:36 PM
There are a lot of smart people here and they've already said pretty much everything I was thinking.

The only thing I can add, When one door closes another one opens up. Maybe this is a nudge that will be in your friend's best interests in the long run. Hopefully, her employers will take advantage in this opportunity to step up and explore other options.

bhaggerty
January 10th, 2018, 08:44 PM
Feel free to rant anytime. I'll be praying for you too. The Lord has bigger shoulders than all of us put together!

Well
Said!

Caroline T.
January 10th, 2018, 09:08 PM
Your rants are safe here. So many already have posted words of wisdom and faith, so I won't repeat them (although I agree with each and every one), but I will add one bit of caution:

As low men on the totem pole, we don't always know everything that goes on that leads to a decision that we disagree with, so please take caution if you take sides. There are always two sides to every story and we don't always get the full story from one side.

Sylvia H
January 10th, 2018, 09:10 PM
I won't even start on what I think about such business decisions. I have worked for several large companies and one small, family owned company and, unfortunately, saw a lot of decisions that were made just for the addition of a few $$$. It is good to rant and get it out. I understand your situation too, as I was in a similar situation with my last employer. I had a family to support, and I couldn't give up my job because I didn't agree with the actions of some of the executives. I hope you can quickly resolve your internal conflict so that you are no longer so distressed.

Debbie Watters
January 10th, 2018, 10:29 PM
Agree with the above ... can't add a thing ... take care of yourself ...

SallyO'Sews
January 11th, 2018, 12:51 AM
Thanks, everyone, for the sage advice and supportive words. It's not so much the decision to go with another company that bothers me; it's that they made the decision without letting their long-time associate know. She had to hear about it from a third party. So disappointed in my bosses, who really ought to know better.

At prayer tonight, I asked the Lord to open up new doors for my friend, so she won't be any worse off for losing our business; for my bosses to be as concerned with integrity as they are with expedience; and for my own heart to be in a right place. Thanks again, dear ones. I knew I'd be better off ranting here than at work! Grateful hugs to all of you.

Annababy
January 11th, 2018, 06:21 AM

You said it best.