PDA

View Full Version : sahara snow

LauraP
January 10th, 2018, 12:54 AM
It snowed a foot in the Saharan Dessert Sunday, only the third time in the last 40 years! I remember, back in the dark ages when I was a child, when it snowed for the first time in 11 years in Escondido California. The teachers wouldn't let us go out and play cuz no one had heavy coats or mittens.

grammaterry
January 10th, 2018, 11:32 AM
Wow. NOw that is a snow event.

KPH
January 10th, 2018, 12:12 PM
I hope you got to see the pictures. It makes you wonder if there will be a growth of plants in the areas where the snow was deep.

GuitarGramma
January 10th, 2018, 03:48 PM
It snowed a foot in the Saharan Dessert Sunday, only the third time in the last 40 years! I remember, back in the dark ages when I was a child, when it snowed for the first time in 11 years in Escondido California. The teachers wouldn't let us go out and play cuz no one had heavy coats or mittens.

Laura, I used to live in Escondido! I probably remember the same snow that you experienced, although at the time we lived on the coast. We had a HUGE Spanish test that day, and we students couldn't believe that the teacher would still make us take the test WHEN IT WAS SNOWING (that's how rare snow is in Southern California, life stops). In the middle of the exam, the teacher disappeared. She returned with an industrial sized hot chocolate dispenser from the cafeteria. Turns out, she understood what we were feeling after all.

Hulamoon
January 10th, 2018, 05:10 PM
They showed pictures of the Sahara snow on the news this morning. So pretty! I was born in Northridge Ca and one year we got a hail storm. That was something big because if you wanted to go see snow you would have to drive a couple of hours to Big Bear or Frazier Park. It was a big deal to go see snow!