PDA

View Full Version : What kind of neighborhood did we move to

KPH
January 5th, 2018, 08:16 PM
We lived in a quiet neighborhood in a sleeper suburb of Charlotte for 30+ years.

We moved to be closer to DS#1 and family. He picked the house and such. Everything was ok. We've been here since May. We made it through the hurricane with little difficulty.

Jan. 1, 2018 the first murder in Jacksonville is at a party in a house on the only road into the neighborhood.

Then today, Jan. 5, 2018 a fire resulting in one death on the same road into the neighborhood. The neighborhood is blocked off, DH and son couldn't get home until they proved that they lived down here.

Our neighbors have lived her over 8 years. They said they'd never had this kind of trouble around here.

Needless to say, with the sirens and hovering helicopters and me being home alone knowing that the guys couldn't get back here, my nerves are shot!

Mercy! It makes me wonder if we made a wise decision to move!

DeniseSm
January 5th, 2018, 09:00 PM
How dreadful. Sending you a hug and warm wishes.

laura44
January 5th, 2018, 10:44 PM
Hopefully these are the only two incidents!

KPH
January 5th, 2018, 11:24 PM
http://jacksonville.com/news/public-safety/2018-01-05/fire-same-neighborhood-jacksonville-s-first-homicide-2018-claims Well, ain't that just grand. DH and son made it in the paper... lol, our white truck anyway. What a day! My heart goes to the family of the 60 year old woman that died in the fire. Neighbors said there was so much smoke, nobody could do anything.

jjkaiser
January 6th, 2018, 02:52 AM
I know it's unnerving and can understand that you are having second thoughts about moving there. But the murder at the party was probably a couple of drunks who shouldn't have had loaded weapons anywhere near them, and fires do sometimes happen, it's an unfortunate fact of life. But it doesn't necessarily mean that you live in a dangerous neighborhood so try to remain calm. Your neighbors are probably just as upset as you are.

Bubby
January 6th, 2018, 04:41 AM
This situation would give anyone a pause for concern for sure. Hopefully this is an isolated incident and nothing like this will happen again so close to home.

JCY
January 6th, 2018, 09:58 AM
May the Lord surround you with His love & protection. My DGD moved into a rental house this spring in TX. They're a minority, since much of the neighborhood is black. There have been robberies, house break-ins, gun shots fired, etc. Very unsettling when one has 2 small boys. Her husb.'s work pick-up was broken into & tools stolen. I hope the "excitement" in your neighborhood calms down.

Anitamae56
January 6th, 2018, 11:53 AM
I understand having those thoughts, but I am sure your days will get better.
JCY what a worry that is that your granddaughter is in such a place , my grandson and his GF just moved into a townhouse, with many people so close I worry about them a lot. It is probably an ok place to live but we all see and hear of so much. I will add your GD to my prayers and thoughts.

grammaterry
January 6th, 2018, 12:04 PM
It is scary and having been in Charlotte for all those years spoiled you. It is really hard to pick out a new house, let alone check out all the neighbors. I remember when I was a Realtor and I was selling a house to my inlaws, my FIL went house to house and had coffee with each neighbor that he could see from the house he was buying. I thought it was strange at the time, but probably not a bad idea.

LindaKay75
January 6th, 2018, 09:01 PM
Katrina, here's hoping that is the first time and the LAST time for something like this. That is pretty darn scary and you being by yourself! No matter where you live crime has become rampant. Your DH and son are safe, thank goodness for that. Just keep your calm, you will be okay now.

MaggieSue
January 6th, 2018, 11:07 PM
Katrina (((hugs)))!!!

Suzette
January 7th, 2018, 11:53 AM
We lived just off Amelia Island (in Fernandina) for several years before moving to SC. The crime in Jacksonville was getting to be too much and was slowly beginning to encroach into Yulee and Fernandina. I hear from my former neighbors that break-ins and car thefts are picking up in that area at an alarming rate with more violent crimes still staying more towards Jacksonville for now. It's a beautiful area and I did love living there but I was also getting concerned about the crime rate. It's good if you have neighbors that watch out for one another.

GuitarGramma
January 8th, 2018, 04:20 AM
Oh, Katrina, I know how you feel. About five years ago, there was a drug-related murder just outside our backyard fence. Our across-the-street neighbors had just moved in two weeks before. I realized how freaked out they had to be, having just moved in and then somebody shoots someone. We've lived here for seventeen years, and that's the only time something like that happened, but it still gnaws at me.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
January 8th, 2018, 11:40 AM
I hope these are isolated incidents, and just coincidence. I also worry about my son who lives in an established area but where the demographics have been changing, and not in a good way. There have been shootings, break-ins and thefts. His street and surrounding streets are ok, but you never know.
It's not that far from my house but the demographics and socio-economic fabric is quite different. Pray for safety.