PDA

View Full Version : Funny Wedding Stories . . .

kaydee
January 4th, 2018, 10:55 PM
I'm enjoying the thread on Christmas stories. I don't have much to add to that, but I thought I'd start a new thread about wedding stories. My son got married on New Year's Eve, and people are finding this story amusing. Besides the fact that the temps were sub zero, there was one mishap.

The couple got married in a very established large church in the heart of Minneapolis. They do several weddings every month. Before the wedding, the minister (senior minister in this VERY large church) counseled them that every wedding/reception has something go wrong, so they should be prepared. He assured them, though, that he'd pull off his end without mistake -- he's "NEVER" made a mistake.

So the night of the rehearsal, the minister couldn't make it. No problem -- the church's wedding coordinator walked everyone through everything perfectly -- walking down the aisle, when moms light the candle, when the vows take place, the first kiss, announcing the couple, etc. The rehearsal went off without a hitch. There was a little confusion about when the maid of honor was to hand the bride back her boquet, but the wedding coordinator made it clear that she should hold onto them until after the first kiss which they practiced more than once b/c the wedding coordinator wanted it done just right.

Come the wedding, and things are going well. Processional right through the exchange of rings . . . and then the bride turned to take the flowers back from her sister. Her sister clearly didn't want to give them to her. She was like, "no, not yet". Finally she relented and reluctantly handed them back to the bride. The minister announced the married couple and off up the aisle they went. The rest of us just stood there and looked at each other. Did we miss it? No. It didn't happen!

The minister never told the groom he could kiss his bride! They never had their first kiss!

We all got a kick out of that. During pictures, they reenacted that part of the wedding, and the maid of honor hammed up her refusal to hand over the flowers for the pics. I know the photographer got a pic of it (b/c I asked him b/c it was sooo cute). Anyhow, when I can get the pic from the photographer, I will post it.

At the reception/dinner the minister stood up and asked the couple to come forward. He explained to everyone he had for the very first time made a mistake in a wedding! And then he had them take their first kiss.

Such a cute memory. Can't wait to see the maid of honor pic.

Cokie
January 5th, 2018, 12:20 AM
That is a cute story! Those are the things that make a wedding memorable.

When my son got married, they had a small wedding because both he and his wife had been married before, but they both wanted to dress up. The bride had a beautiful gown and my son rented a tux. Just before the wedding, my son came to me and was absolutely panicked. "Mom, I forgot my pants!" He had stayed with us at a condo they rented for us, and it was about an hour away - no time to go get them. So I told my husband to take him into town and find the closest place - Walmart or whatever and buy a pair of black dress pants, and no one would know, and I would stall the bride. So off they went, while I tried to convince the bride that nothing was wrong, he was just running a little late...stalling any way I could and trying to keep her calm. Just about the time she started getting really nervous, the guys came back with a pair of black pants. They had found a Goodwill store, which was closer than going into town, and lo and behold, found a pair of black dress pants that looked brand new in exactly his size. So the wedding went on, albeit a little bit late, but no one seemed to even notice that things didn't start on time (it was mostly family anyway), and the pants matched perfectly. When the bride found out after the wedding, she couldn't believe it. It certainly gave us some laughs...after it was all over!

GuitarGramma
January 5th, 2018, 01:26 AM
(Names being changed to protect the innocent!)

My youngest DD—we'll call her Daisy Darling—got married a couple of years ago to the love of her life, whom we'll call Simon Smith. The wedding took place at the church where my eldest DD is the wedding coordinator. Amongst other duties, the wedding coordinator prepares a book for the priest with a card telling him how to announce the new couple. In this day and age, you don't want to assume that the bride is taking the groom's last name, right? Eldest DD prepared the card and the priest read it aloud at the end of the ceremony:

I now present to you ... Mr. and Mrs.... Simon and Daisy ... DARLING!

The whole church burst out laughing. The priest, a close family friend, starts waving the card above his head saying, "That's what it says on the card. That's what it says on the card." Eldest DD is blushing beyond belief, and is a bridesmaid, so she's at the front of the church where everyone can see her beet red complexion, so the laughter kept growing.

When the laughter finally died down, the priest said, "I just thought that Simon was a really progressive guy." We were exhausted by the time we all stopped laughing. Simon and Daisy have assured the priest that they will remember this moment with great delight every anniversary!

Monique
January 5th, 2018, 08:55 AM
When we got married, in the dark ages, there was a mail strike on. My Uncle was doing our invitations. My Uncle lived in Montreal and was very french. Now to get the meaning of this, the French have a hard time pronouncing words that start with an A and usually add an H. So, we receive our invitations and Les' last name was changed to Hatkinson. Needless to say they all had to be redone.

Squeaky
January 5th, 2018, 03:43 PM
I picked a font for my wedding invitations without really "checking" all the important letters. The Z in script was really close to an L, so I received a few gifts made out to the wrong name from distant relatives that only knew my fiance by his first name.

My sister (the maid of honor) also managed to light her bouquet on fire by not paying attention to how close she was to the Unity candle while we were doing our vows, but we got the flame out quickly enough that it wasn't a complete show-stopper.

Carolnnc
January 5th, 2018, 04:04 PM
I love these stories!
By the time my sister and future hubby were married his father was deceased. He had five brothers and they all wanted to be the best man. The oldest brother was chosen which made the baby very unhappy.
On their wedding day the baby had taken white out and written on the bottom of the groom's shoes: "help me." Everyone was trying not to laugh out loud as the bride and groom knelt at the alter. The best man fainted as the minister said: "you can now kiss your bride." My sister burst into tears and the minister told her groom he better kiss her real quick. That finally brought the house down.

Caroline T.
January 5th, 2018, 04:19 PM
When DH and I decided to marry, we chose not to go the big wedding route and instead to just get married in the Judge's chambers as soon as possible, quietly with only our parents present, no fuss, no muss.

When I called my Father to tell him the news, I asked him if he had any plans for the following Thursday (Dec 23), and he said no, and asked if we having a Christmas Party. I said No, a wedding. There was a long pause and some hemming and hawing, before he could figure out how to ask "Do you, uhm, have to get married?" I told him "Yes Daddy, I have to marry him, I love him, but no I'm not pregnant". So then he says, "well this is kinda sudden, perhaps you two should live together for awhile first". Duh, we've been living together for over 9 months. So Dad and I get through this conversation and he promises to be there and asks where and when. I tell him Judge "T's" chambers at 11 a.m. on the 23rd. He's surprised I chose that Judge, as many of our extended family members have stood before that judge on various issues. Well what can I say, he's the only one available that close to Christmas.

Now my Daddy has never been known to be on time, but I was determined that for MY wedding he will be on time. So on that day, when he finally showed up at 11:50 am, he was very apologetic, but I just smiled and told him, for once he was actually early, the ceremony was actually schedule for noon.

Before the ceremony started, Judge "T" looked at the paperwork, and last names, and said "It's nice to finally have members of these two families before me for a Happy Occasion, with no one going to jail, even though these two young people are getting a life sentence....

No truer words spoken; two weeks ago, DH and I celebrated 35 years together, and still going strong!