PDA

View Full Version : Fish question

Hulamoon
January 2nd, 2018, 09:01 PM
I went to a food warehouse the other day (It's like a Costco but you don't pay a fee. It's called Cost you less) So I bought a bag of frozen fish filets called Swai. I looked it up to see exactly what it was. It said it was dangerous because it is normally farmed in Vietnam and the water might not be the best. I looked at my package and sure enough it was grown there, but marketed in USA.

I hate to toss food. Would you still eat it? They were all individually vacuumed sealed.

Georgie Girl
January 2nd, 2018, 09:05 PM
Absolutely NOT. Either return it or if you can't toss it. Do you really want to take the chance?

JaniceR
January 2nd, 2018, 09:42 PM
I was hospitalized several years ago for some sort of food poisoning and was in there a week. I have never been so sick in my life. We were never positive of the source. Since then, I NEVER eat anything I am not completely comfortable with and DEFINITELY would not eat questionable fish!!

Lorie, please don’t take a chance. Throw it away now!!

auntstuff
January 2nd, 2018, 09:44 PM
Its wise to read up on it.

http://www.chefs-resources.com/seafood/finfish/swai-fis

Kgrammiecaz
January 2nd, 2018, 09:48 PM
I purchase frozen Swai from Publix. I really like it.

Hulamoon
January 2nd, 2018, 09:56 PM
I purchase frozen Swai from Publix. I really like it.

Where was it farmed? I do remember buying it before because I thought it was like tilapia. This is the first time I looked it up.

DeniseSm
January 2nd, 2018, 10:04 PM
My motto on questionable food is, if in doubt, toss it out. Without your health you have nothing.

bubba
January 2nd, 2018, 10:25 PM
I've always heard that fish referred to as 'garbage fish', so I have never bought it.

Rhonda K
January 2nd, 2018, 10:39 PM
Can you return it to the market for a refund? It could be fine but I wouldn't take that chance. Good luck!

Kgrammiecaz
January 2nd, 2018, 11:01 PM
Where was it farmed? I do remember buying it before because I thought it was like tilapia. This is the first time I looked it up.

I will check. Good question.

Carolnnc
January 2nd, 2018, 11:39 PM
DH runs a meat market for a major food chain. He said if it's marked USA it should also be marked farm raised. If it's printed on the bag (not a sticker) that it is USA and farm raised I would eat it. Tilapia has the same reputation of being a "dirty" fish if it is from China and a lot of customers won't buy any Tilapia no matter where it comes from.

LLLinda
January 2nd, 2018, 11:41 PM
I've bought it lots of times but quit because it is a soft fish and I baked it. DH likes his fried so I buy the firmer fish all the time now. I got it from my regular grocery store and they have those initials posted (I can't remember what they are) that signify they only buy good stuff from reliable sources, or something like that. It's a big deal around here to have that at your fish counter.
AUNT STUFF I can't open your link so I don't know if I repeated what you posted or not.

GuitarGramma
January 3rd, 2018, 12:28 AM
My DH read an article about fish and shellfish from Asia and asked me if I could start avoiding those sources. He's about as far as you can get from a health food fellow, so this article must have really bothered him. If you're at all worried, please take it back for a refund or exchange.

Sheena
January 3rd, 2018, 05:43 AM
I had to look this up as I've never heard of it here in England. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole!

Hulamoon
January 3rd, 2018, 10:31 AM
Well I did a little more research, nerd that I am. I looked up the distributor (Beaver Street Fisheries) and they are one of the largest in the country. After looking at their huge site it brought me to "the catfish wars". Seems that it was all propaganda to keep this fish from being sold in the US because the farmers here were losing business. It actually went to congress. Like I said I'm sometimes a nerd and over research. Here's the article.
http://www.chefs-resources.com/seafood/finfish/swai-fish-information-recipes/is-vietnamese-swai-and-basa-safe/

So I'm going to eat it :)

Carolnnc
January 3rd, 2018, 11:11 AM
This thread really got DH going:) He woke me up last night to explain the COOL legislation. COOL is country of origin labeling and is required in the US on all fish and shellfish. If any fish/shellfish is labeled incorrectly the vendor (grocery store or warehouse store) they are assessed a fine of $10,000.00 per mislabeled package. If you are a person who tries to buy American and you don't see a label just ask the market manager and they will be able to tell you where the product came from.

Bubby
January 3rd, 2018, 11:13 AM
Ii wouldn't take the chance...return it and get your money back.

Hulamoon
January 3rd, 2018, 11:22 AM
If you get to the bottom of the article it says that the catfish association , or what ever it's called went to the farms in Vietnamand they were really impressed and scared they were doing it better than them.

I love to buy USA, but I live on an island in the middle of the ocean. I'm at the mercy of what the stores bring in. I would love to buy trout but that's rare to find it here. You kind of get sick of Ahi too after awhile. That and squid. lol

seaturtle
January 3rd, 2018, 11:37 AM
Lori, here's the link to the article aunt stuff posted. http://www.chefs-resources.com/?s=swai

I think it's like everything else that's imported - there are good and bad processors in all countries, including the US. Swai is a catfish and it's very popular down here. You could ask the manager about the importer/processor. It seems most of the issues come from water drawn from the Mekong Delta. What you bought was probably farmed, so it is a question of what water source they used and how was the water treated before it got to the fish.

grammaterry
January 3rd, 2018, 01:05 PM
We have come to the conclusion that ANY seafood farmed in Asia is not a good choice. It seems that Shrimp farmed there are raised in sewage ponds. They have a few clean ponds on the farms so that when the inspectors come they take them to those ponds for testing. Our hygiene in the USA is remarkable and because of it, we do not build up the immunities to some of the things that people in other countries have. I would suggest you take it back to the store and tell them that you would like their buyers to purchase US products.

Hulamoon
January 3rd, 2018, 06:58 PM
I wasn't going to make any more comments because I made my mind up it was safe. But I want to ask a question. You know how uncomfortable it would be to walk into a store and say I want to return this because it was farmed in Viet Nam? Am I supposed to give a lecture on fish farming and you shouldn't be selling this product? I mean honestly, would you really do that? I don't like rolling eyes at the back of my head. lol

K. McEuen
January 3rd, 2018, 07:28 PM
I was sort of laughing at how people were seeing the fish being raised in dirty water, etc. Catfish are bottom feeders, so they live in the murky depths of slime and whatever else gathers at the bottom of any pond. Pretty much the same with shrimp too. I happen to enjoy both very much. I would be more wary of food from China, as they seem to put weird stuff into their food. I will not feed ANY pet foods made or processed in China to my dog since so many dogs got sick and dies from liver issues related to products from China.

We have trout here Lorie! One of the only fish that you can catch in the NM streams. Native browns and the rainbow that the state stocks a couple times a year.

snippet
January 3rd, 2018, 07:37 PM
I would eat it. I understand the concern for foreign products, but after reading the articles it seems this claim is just propaganda from the US fish farms. The majority of tilapia is grown in China. Food for thought....

If you don't want to eat it, consider giving it to a charity that will take it. But don't toss it.

It seems a lot of things we considered garbage have become popular. Skirt steak was typically thrown away or given to the dogs, but now we love it as fajitas.

Georgie Girl
January 3rd, 2018, 07:46 PM
The only fish we eat at home is cod loins. It's the only fish fry my DH will eat. We use to love our perch fish fry at our favorite eatery but the breading on the perch seemed to be getting thicker and thicker. My favorite fish was what my dad would catch in our local lakes and the very best were the ones he caught ice fishing, perch and blue gills. Boy I miss those.

MRoy
January 3rd, 2018, 09:00 PM
I've eaten swai several times...we call it "Vietnamese catfish". When you order fried catfish at a restaurant, that could be what you get.

Astatoo
January 3rd, 2018, 09:41 PM
I was sort of laughing at how people were seeing the fish being raised in dirty water, etc. Catfish are bottom feeders, so they live in the murky depths of slime and whatever else gathers at the bottom of any pond. Pretty much the same with shrimp too. I happen to enjoy both very much. I would be more wary of food from China, as they seem to put weird stuff into their food. I will not feed ANY pet foods made or processed in China to my dog since so many dogs got sick and dies from liver issues related to products from China.

We have trout here Lorie! One of the only fish that you can catch in the NM streams. Native browns and the rainbow that the state stocks a couple times a year.

Funny you should mention this, I was recalling times years ago when visiting friends in GA we often went fishing, they would throw back the bass(they were only good for hanging on a wall) and we would throw back the catfish (they were bottom scum eaters)
I guess it depends on where you grow up.
Georgie Girl, DH went ice fishing last weekend and got a bunch of bluegill, they were delicious!

Georgie Girl
January 4th, 2018, 10:08 AM
Funny you should mention this, I was recalling times years ago when visiting friends in GA we often went fishing, they would throw back the bass(they were only good for hanging on a wall) and we would throw back the catfish (they were bottom scum eaters)
I guess it depends on where you grow up.
Georgie Girl, DH went ice fishing last weekend and got a bunch of bluegill, they were delicious!

ooo Beth what a tease you are.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
January 4th, 2018, 10:31 AM
I avoid many fish and seafood because of where they are from. I would avoid this fish, just like Talapia, they are akin to bottom feeders. Try to return it if you can.

MRoy
January 4th, 2018, 10:35 AM
You can't beat bluegill for good eating! and I love to catch'em too!

GuitarGramma
January 4th, 2018, 03:07 PM
I wasn't going to make any more comments because I made my mind up it was safe. But I want to ask a question. You know how uncomfortable it would be to walk into a store and say I want to return this because it was farmed in Viet Nam? Am I supposed to give a lecture on fish farming and you shouldn't be selling this product? I mean honestly, would you really do that? I don't like rolling eyes at the back of my head. lol

Gotta admit, ya got me there! I wouldn't be capable of going to a store and saying all that! Guess I didn't think through the advice I was giving. Theory is one thing, but implementation can be a bear!

grammaterry
January 4th, 2018, 04:28 PM
Well, I would and I have. I return products that after reading the label find unacceptable. I rarely come in contact with any opposition, just refund or exchange. I do this politely and don't get in their face. I find clerks, managers and owners are quite accommodating.
Gotta admit, ya got me there! I wouldn't be capable of going to a store and saying all that! Guess I didn't think through the advice I was giving. Theory is one thing, but implementation can be a bear!

Hulamoon
January 4th, 2018, 05:34 PM

After so many people said take it back it got me to thinking, hummm what would I say? I'm glad you got me:)

Well, I would and I have. I return products that after reading the label find unacceptable. I rarely come in contact with any opposition, just refund or exchange. I do this politely and don't get in their face. I find clerks, managers and owners are quite accommodating.

That's what makes life so interesting, We are all so different.

auntstuff
January 4th, 2018, 06:10 PM
If you knew how many animals actually live and eat, there would be a LOT of food you wouldn't eat. ESPECIALLY pork and chicken.