PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday hellos

Monique
January 2nd, 2018, 08:46 AM

Hell may not have frozen over but my water did. The hot water to the bathroom was frozen again this morning. Down into the crawl space to unthaw it. I devised a contraption so no one has to go into the small space. I attached a hair dryer to two broom handles that just reaches inside. Water didn't take long to thaw but a real pain in the tooshie when it does happen.

We didn't do much of anything yesterday. Football was on all day. Everyone is leaving me today :icon_cry: even Les. He is working a couple of extra days this week. Phil is up, waiting on the rest.

So I guess today I will try and get the house back in order. That should warm me up.

Have a great day everyone.

Star lover
January 2nd, 2018, 08:54 AM
Yup, just about frozen over.....everywhere. Wow! Can't remember when we've had such a long freezing cold spell. Lots of records being broken.......I'd rather not break any!

So sad for you Monique, the house sure does get quiet when they all leave....my heart goes out to you and hope it doesn't last too long. Love and hugs to you. And I sure hope your water doesn't freeze again! Yikes!

With it being sooooo cold, we didn't do much. I sewed some and just tried to stay warm, I've given up on toasty! Happy it hasn't snowed in a couple days. No fun shoveling in the frigid cold. Our worse is yet to come later in the week....... yeah!

I've popped in once in awhile and it's looks like everyone had a wonderful holiday. Busy, and happy! Love it.

Well since part of my brain is frozen....I keep thinking it's Monday, I may just go back to bed and when I wake, it should be Tuesday.....maybe!

Love and hugs to all. Prayers and thoughts for those struggling. I'm especially thinking of Joan, Sugar and John!

Ginny B
January 2nd, 2018, 08:59 AM
Oh no Monique! Many years ago when I lived in N.J., the water froze in our bathroom which was actually an extension to the house. It took a while to thaw them. What a great idea with the broom handles and the hair dryer!

I woke up this morning with more energy than I have felt in quite a while. Let's see how long that lasts today. I have gotten one load of wash done and I'll get another one in now. We had a nice relaxing day yesterday. I did get some time in my sewing room too. Did a little sewing and a bit of organizing.

Today will probably be busy at work. Hopefully it will be warm in the office. It won't be as cold as yours Monique but I will dress in layers just in case they have a challenge getting the temps up since it's been so cold and the heat has been turned down since early afternoon on Friday.

Have a great day today all. Keep warm.

JCY
January 2nd, 2018, 10:01 AM
Good Morning ~ It's cold here, too; it's 14 deg. The big full moon is setting in the west. It did actually get up to 32 deg. yest. There are warmer temps. in the forecast. Still some snow lingering in the shady areas. I don't envy those folks back east who got all that lake effect snow.

Yest. I got my Tiara cleaned, needle changed, etc. & did some practice FMQ on a practice sandwich. Not quite ready to start on the Kaffe Fassett quilt. I want to practice more of Tracey Russell's designs before I finalize the FMQ pattern. I've watched many of her YT tutorials. She's also published 2 books. I checked out her blog yest.

No more time now. DH is ready for breakfast.

Bubby
January 2nd, 2018, 10:35 AM
Good Morning...Jeff is home from work today to give himself one more day to kick the bug he picked up. He doesn't need to be out in the bitter cold so soon. My cold is trying to move into my chest.

Earlier this morning I went through all of my BLOCK magazines and put them in order and made sticky notes for everything I might want to try making.

Joy, it's a good thing you cleaned your Tiara. I did the same for my Janome 12000.

The iron I ordered for Christmas is supposed to get here today. From reports from others who have a Panasonic cordless, I should be thrilled with it. I press most of the time on a padded board. The cord has been an issue but Electrician Jeff won't let me use an extension cord anywhere in our home or apartments. He rarely puts his foot down, but he's adamant about this. He has seen too much in his career as an electrician.

Dottie is whining and crying....she must not be getting her way with Jeff about something. She tried to get me to feed her at 7. Her time is 9. I guess she tried to con Jeff into feeding her early and it didn't work. I will give her a snack to hold her over, lest she get weak and collapse on us. She has always been a Drama Queen.

Have a great day everyone....Huggers....

KPH
January 2nd, 2018, 10:43 AM
Good Morning All.

It's sad when all the decorations are packed back up and everyone leaves. We had the entire day to ourselves. DS#2 didn't get up until lunch and left at 2 for work. DS#1 didn't come get the truck since it was so rainy and cold. So we stayed home. I piddled in my sewing room and have a little project almost finished. It's sandwiched anyway and ready to quilt.

DS#1 called around 10, he's got a eye dr. appointment this morning. We'll be keeping the kids while they go take care of that. I guess they may take the truck so they can do the pickup they were planning on doing yesterday. Who knows! Only thing that it means to me is the quilting is not going to happen this morning.

We need to go to the grocery store. We don't need much, more produce than anything else. The butcher shop should be back open today, Need to call in refills for prescriptions, and reorder checks, and one call to Kathy to have her update our home phone (pretty sure we did that, but apparently someone didn't get that little bit changed). Thank goodness we don't plan on any big moves again!

Prayers for those in need, quick recuperations for those feeling poorly. Have a marvelously creative day!

Nwmnteacher
January 2nd, 2018, 10:49 AM
Good Tuesday morning!

After making my cup of coffee, sitting in my comfy chair, checking the email, this forum is where I love to settle for a while. I love all you gals have to share, and I feel I'm getting to know you. Thank you for this spot to enjoy and relax :-)

Jeanne

TMP
January 2nd, 2018, 10:58 AM
Good Morning Everyone!

Alexa take down the Christmas tree!!! I am going to make myself do it today! All I want to do is stay warm, eat and sew. I have a quilt on the long arm and its so tempting just to shut the door and sew today. The inside of my house is sad lots of dog hair, the grandkids junk and Christmas everywhere.

Kaylee wants to stay here with me until school starts back. I love that child. Her mom is making her go home with the promise of the new Star Wars movie this after noon. (They got a puppy for Christmas and she still doesn't want to go home!! ) She is 10 and I know there is going to come a time when she is so busy with her friends and life that Grandmommy's house will not be the place to be. I sure have been enjoying her .

Stay warm!!

pcbatiks
January 2nd, 2018, 11:03 AM
It is in the 20's here this morning.......yikes! Good day to stay inside.

I did a little more organizing of my sewing stuff yesterday and plan to do more today.

Soup in the crock pot is also on the "to do" list.

Carol336
January 2nd, 2018, 11:11 AM
I got my Tiara cleaned, .

When I saw that I pictured you in a beautiful Tiara....I honestly didn't know there was a machine by that name - LOL

MissMay
January 2nd, 2018, 12:05 PM
Planned to begin some Christmas clean up today but early this morning I received news that during the night my sister Patti had to go to the ER as she had shortness of breath. ER said she didn't have a heart attack but she has water in her lungs. Sister Carol works for a cardiologist and he came to the hospital to examine Patti and he admitted her for testing. She's much better now but needs testing as she's always in pain from her arthritis and always stressed about her health as she had breast cancer. She just had radiation, takes meds and has frequent check ups but it is understandable that the fear of re-occurrence never leaves her. Patti is my baby sister, I'm 15 years older so and it's difficult for me to imagine her having old people's health problems. When you have a minute please say a prayer for Patti, she's the one who keeps her family going.

Star lover
January 2nd, 2018, 12:07 PM
May, I'll be praying for her....and you too! Hugs.

grammaterry
January 2nd, 2018, 12:18 PM
oh that's funny Carol.
We almost always have water frozen at the well head but this year it hasn't happened. I think its because we are home now all the time and the pipes get used more. We keep an incandescent bulb in the well all winter and that keeps it pretty good overnight. Its almost up to 10 degrees this morning. It is brutal. (wonder how we will keep the well unfrozen when we run out of those old fashioned bulbs?)
Yesterday we cleaned. (first time in 35 years that DH has helped) He is getting "his" room cleaned and organized. 10 years of DIRT and I mean DIRT. I haven't gone in there to help but it is looking better. I told him we would take out the bed and move it to the cabin down by the pond and he could configure the room any way he would like...shelves, computer, guns, safe, whatever) I have already moved the bed from the other bedroom but that room has to have the floor taken out and the house jacked up because one of the floor joists is broken. Lots of repairs to be made to this old farm house. I told DH I am going to make that room into a reading room with no noise from the TV and put in a sofa bed in case we have in house company. The two king size beds in the cabin should be comfey for the grands when they come to visit...better than sleeping bags I would think.
I worked on the double wedding ring piecing yesterday. Its pretty slow going but I am relaxing and trying to enjoy the process. Seems no matter what I'm sewing, my mind is thinking ahead to the next step or the next project > I would really like to not do that and just enjoy the moment.

JCY
January 2nd, 2018, 12:19 PM
Carol ~ Re: my Tiara -- The Baby Lock Tiara II is a table LA. It has a 16" harp. After every project, I change the needle & remove the plate under the needle to do an in depth cleaning. Also add a drop of oil. I use paste Turtle Wax to wax the table surface. It really helps the quilt sandwich slide across the table. This is what it looks like. It's amazing how much less lint I find when I use the Glide polyester thread than when I use cotton. I used to FMQ on my DSM, but I love this Tiara. So much easier on my arms & shoulders. 149114

Carolnnc
January 2nd, 2018, 12:24 PM
The heat pump hasn't stopped running for days so the cartoon is definitely appropriate. I am hating the electric bill that will come next month. Hopefully it will warm up and I can get the outside Christmas decorations down before June:)

I had a wonderful day yesterday. I started a new quilt and watched a hockey game. I don't know how those players and fans could stand playing a game outside.

It's too cold to go out but there are appointments and errands to run today. DH had a dentist appointment this morning and I have a hair appointment at noon. He has to go to the dump and we have to run by the grocery store.

Hopefully I get to work on my quilt some this afternoon.

Hope everyone can stay warm!

pcbatiks
January 2nd, 2018, 12:24 PM
When I saw that I pictured you in a beautiful Tiara....I honestly didn't know there was a machine by that name - LOL

I also pictured Joy polishing her crown when I first read her post. Started the day with a smile. :D

pcbatiks
January 2nd, 2018, 12:27 PM
May, we will be praying for your sister. Hugs to you.

JCY
January 2nd, 2018, 12:39 PM
Barb ~ Re: extension cords. Well, the outlet I use for my iron is behind my drawer units, so I plugged in an outlet strip into that so I have accessible outlets. I'm using a short, heavy duty drop cord which goes from the outlet strip to my ironing board. I plug my iron into that. It's been working ok for many years. One thing that does cause me concern, if I think too much about it, is our house was built in the early 1970's. All the houses in this neighborhood were built using aluminum wiring. The first year we lived here, DH learned from an electrician about using a certain paste on those connections. He went through the whole house & did all the outlets. However, last year, we had a problem on one circuit with some flickering lights. We had an electrician check out things. He replaced those connections with copper in several of our LR outlets. If we should ever sell this house, we will be required to disclose the aluminum wiring issue. Really, all the outlets need to be redone, but what an expensive chore that would be. One of the outlets is behind a 1901 upright piano, others are in areas not easily accessible.

Terry ~ Re: incandescent light bulbs ~ they're still making them. I use them in several of our lamps. I hope they don't ever quit making them. Certain clamp on light shades will not fit on a spiral bulb!

Christmas decorations: I was later than usual putting up our tree. We plan to leave it up for a while yet.

Monique ~ In the bitter cold weather, do you let your faucet run so it won't freeze? Our bathtub is on an outside wall. In the extreme cold, we let the water run at a trickle. Hair dryers work great! I always use mine to get the last of the ice off the freezer shelves when I defrost it.

New iron ~ I'm still waiting for mine. I ordered it from Amazon; it hasn't even shipped yet. My old iron heats fine, but it leaks water, so I'm using it without steam.

Now I really must get on with my day.

Claire Hallman
January 2nd, 2018, 12:49 PM
I love that machine and would love to find a used one I could afford but until then I will just have sore shoulders if I work at it too long.
A dry iron and a spray bottle of water work pretty darn well. My Rowenta travel iron leaked the first time I used it so never put water in it again, then the handle broke so I tossed it.:D

Monique
January 2nd, 2018, 03:24 PM

I thought the same thing, lol

chelea
January 2nd, 2018, 04:22 PM
It's been bitterly cold in MA but right now it's feeling balmy at 20 degrees. It's been so cold that the ponds are frozen solid and safe for skating. Hubs, who was born in Montreal, is in his glory as he's able to skate everyday and he even found some fellow hockey players for a pick-up game this weekend. I guess having that Canadian background makes him impervious to cold; at least where hockey is concerned.
There was a gorgeous super-moon last night and we're going to have a second full moon, called a blue moon, on January 31st.
I spent the day yesterday making a wishlist for 2018 and I also did some piecing for a small project. Today I'm starting the cutting for a king size irish chain. How's that for starting the new year off with a bang!

CraftyJnet
January 2nd, 2018, 05:33 PM
Everyone is so busy! Yesterday we took down the tree and put away the ornaments and stockings. We also picked up and put away all of DD's belongings that had found their way into the living room. She has a tiny room here and I understand why things aren't always put away. She is talking about getting a place in the city with her BF. I will miss her terribly. Only one week to go for my dr appt to find out why I am so short of breath. I wish it were today instead!

LLLinda
January 3rd, 2018, 12:25 AM
Too bad about the frozen pipes ladies. The first winter I was married we lived in an apartment with kitchen sink on the outside wall. Being young I didn't know about leaving cabinet doors open or faucets dripping. I called the landlord and told him we had no water. He told me there was an old iron under the sink and I was to "iron the pipes". I knew the iron was there but I thought my aunt that lived there before me had left it.