PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Monday Jan 1st, 2018

Monique
January 1st, 2018, 09:36 AM

A new day, a new month, a new year all in one.

Good morning friends. Welcome 2018.

Well we are still in a deep freeze here. I hope it lets up soon. I hate this extreme cold weather.

We had our annual Seafood fest last night. I got to ring in the New Year with all my children around me. We made Maizyn stay up till Midnight. At about 11 she says to me "Let's go upstairs and we can lay down together". Bad grandma may her stay up. As soon as the toast was over, her and I lay together, she was out in about 5 minutes. She took the bed with Papa and I took the mattress. Woke up at 6am.

I have to tell you this event from last night. Les' sister stole pills from me. My 'good' sister-in-law watched as a kleenex fell from her pocket and pills spilled on the floor. Ruth did not realize what had happened. Linda picked up the pills to show me after forcing her to tell me what was going on. She was just so sick of the whole thing. All she could think of was if Maizyn had found them and thought they were candy. We were all in the kitchen at this time. When I say the pills I knew right away what they were. My muscle relaxers. When I hid all the pills from the bathroom, I inadvertently hid the synthroid instead of the other. And yes she had taken about a dozen of them from me. How sad is that? We all know that she is hooked on pills and that is why I hide mine when she is around. Then a little later I know she was looking for them because she had all kinds of kleenex out. Well I had put them back in the unmarked bottle and hid them. I told Les what happened after everyone had left. We can only watch as she down spirals from this. I don't understand how her children can overlook this AGAIN. Yes, again and her a former nurse.

Okay enough said of this.

The counter is full of dishes which Greg announced last night that he would wash them today. I literally have dish pan hands. They are so dry and sore from being in the water. So I shall wait for him to get up or I may do them myself but with gloves on.

Everyone is leaving me tomorrow. Les is working extra days the 'boss', and I use that loosely, is away on vacation until next week. I work Friday. Hopefully I will get the house back into some order when everyone leaves.

Have a wonderful day whatever you have planned but stay WARM and safe.

Star lover
January 1st, 2018, 09:43 AM
Oh Monique, happy memories! So thankful for you!
And yes, we all have that one family member...

Too cold for me too! Looking forward to spring! It would be nice to just sew until it's here!

Hope everyone's new year is grand! Love and hugs to all! ❤️

Iris Girl
January 1st, 2018, 09:50 AM
Morning all. It is bone chilling -7 here this morning. Monique sounds like you had a great holiday except for the pill incident. Every family has one. My hubbys sister is a compulsive liar. Thankfully she is in Florida and we never see her again. She almost ruined us and me by the lies should told her grandparents about me when we first met. But enough of that.
New year, day and month lets make it a good one. Work for me today and it will through me off since we are on holiday hours which are sunday hours I will be going in later...10 it will feel like the middle of the day for me...I know its only 2 hour later. BUT as a morning person who is up at 4am it seems like forever till time to go to work.
Stay warm everyone and have a good day.

Carol336
January 1st, 2018, 09:56 AM
Happy New Year Monique and all who follow.
Monique - your seafood feast sounds like the one my DDIL has on Christmas Eve every year. It's called The Feast of The Seven Fishes (yes she's Italian) and there are literally seven different kinds of fish....sometimes many more. It's a huge event attended by about 36...mostly family, but a few special friends too.

We used to have a family member like that too Monique - fortunately my niece wised up and kicked his butt out.

Spent a quiet New Years Eve, just DH and I. We cooked a lovely dinner of Steak and Salmon, with spinach and mashed potatoes....and of course a little Pinot Noir. We purposely ate very late...about 8:30 in hopes of staying awake till 12. We cleaned up everything except the pots and pans, and promptly fell asleep in front of the tv. Fortunately we woke up about 11:45 and waited for the ball to drop.....gave the traditional NY kiss and fell into bed....to sleep, not for fun and games - LOL.

Today we're thinking about taking the tree down. We're having a neighbor over for NY Sauerkraut and Pork this evening, so I need to get that in the crock pot in a little bit.

Wishing every a Very Happy New Year!!!!

JCY
January 1st, 2018, 10:09 AM
Happy New Year! ~ Here we are in a new year. Since it's Mon., I'll do the usual Mon. a.m. laundry. Yest. I got the Kaffe Fassett quilt top ready (threads clipped, pressed/starched). I got is sandwiched, pin basted, but not yet mach. basted around the edges. I can't begin FMQ until I've cleaned my machine, changed the needle, & waxed the table surface. I also need to make a practice sandwich & decide what pattern I'll use. I might try one of Tracy Russell's designs.

Monique, my DGD currently is dealing with a SIL who has been addicted to pain pills, nerve pills, sleeping pills. She's also stolen pills, etc. When the family wised up & confronted her with it, she threw her pills down the toilet & tried to do it cold turkey. It's not working. She really needs to seek professional treatment.

Well, it will be interesting to see what quilting adventures we have this year. I really hope to finish some of those UFOs. Time now to get on with my day.

Bubby
January 1st, 2018, 10:12 AM
Good Morning and Happy 2018 to Everyone,

I've been up for a few hours playing in the sewing room. Dottie joined me...she's quite frisky today. Jeff just got up. Even when he's sick he's a nice guy. He swears he is going to work tomorrow....I don't see that happening.

I hope everyone's celebrations went well. We went to bed early because of Jeff being sick. That's why Dottie and I got up for the day in the middle of the night.

My sewing room is almost back together. I need to hang the plate rack I use to hold rulers and take the extra table down and put it away and it will be ready to go. There is still so much stuff sitting everywhere but I have an inkling where everything is.

I have some nice Hourglass blocks to lay out and sew together for my first finish for 2018. After that I want to start something new. I just have two UFOs.

Wishing everyone a wonderful first day of 2018!

KPH
January 1st, 2018, 10:36 AM
Good Morning All,

Monique, I don't think Maizyn would have had any trouble staying up here. We're apparently surrounded by fireworks lovers. From the time the sun went down until 12:45 there was a pretty consistent, whoosh and boom. We stood at the sliding glass doors and saw part of the fireworks from downtown over the river. The neighbors kept going long after the downtown show stopped. I finally turned in around one after about 15 minutes of quiet. I was glad that it has been drizzly and rained a little yesterday with so many fireworks going off close to the house.

Around 1 we went to DIL's grandparents for early New Years. They have a lovely home. Their DD and SIL from Ireland come home every year at Christmas. This was the year they went to the SIL's family first and then came to their house. This year, all of their children and grands will be home for Christmas. DS#2 was off from his 4 hour shift at Toys R Us. He had a great time, winning the card game- Crowns. He'd never played, but said the years of playing gin and poker helped him.

Last night we fixed the shell wreath we gave our son and wife for Christmas. One of the big shells fell off again. The glue from the hot glue gun sticks to the shells but not the wreath form. So, I laid a base of hot glue and pressed in floral wire all along the backside of the shell. then covered the wire with more hot glue. I threaded the wire through the stick form and twisted it on tight. On the front under the edge of the shell, I used E6000. That stuff stinks! I hope that will hold it tight now. It really is a lovely wreath.

The kids are coming this morning to borrow the truck to pick up some stuff (in the rain). Jim has one more week off. Morgan really enjoys him being home when she's off. She still doesn't know when they'll move her to Wolfson Children's ER for training before she moves out the satellite ER. We're thinking the grands will probably stay here while they pick up what they need from Lowes, but who knows.

I only bought 1 bunch of collards, lol, and had a hard time finding them! I need to get the New Year's Feast of Black Eye peas, collards and ham (not doing hog jowls). I have enough corn meal for a little bit of corn bread.

The New Year lies ahead
With more quilts to be sewn,
And adventures to be led.
May you find fulfillment, joy and good health
All year long!

Rhonda K
January 1st, 2018, 10:38 AM
Good Morning & Happy New Year!

Enjoying reading the daily posts with a cup of coffee. I joined the boards a year ago today and finally ready to jump in with everyone!

Hopefully, I will finish the binding and sleeve for a well-loved quilt called Harvey's Garden.

It was a personal journey into the world of machine embroidery started in Spring 2014 with multiple hoopings and new techniques.There are 103 ladybugs in the design. You know when we don't know what we don't know?

It's been waiting all this time for the finishing touches. It will hang in my sewing room to remind me that I can learn something new.

Happy Stitching 2018!

TMP
January 1st, 2018, 11:31 AM
Happy New Year!! Its 14 degree in Alabama this morning. Sandy took one look outside and I had to force her out , but I had no trouble getting her back inside!! Today is a good day to stay inside and sew. DG is here with me and we are going to find something other than her playing on her Ipad to do today. Stay warm and love to all.

pcbatiks
January 1st, 2018, 12:27 PM
Happy New Year forum friends!

Our partying consisted of DH watching a movie while I re-sorted my fabric stash. Then we watched the ball drop, gave each other a kiss, watched a few fireworks from the window and went to sleep. It was very cold and windy last night and it's 27 right now. I think the low will be in the 20's for several days. As I heard a reporter of TV from Nashville comment the other day....."that is stupid cold"! :D

We had chili last night for supper & mexican layer dip. Today we are going to my parents house for peas, sausage, cornbread & cole slaw.

I hope to play with my fabric later today. I'm so happy to be done with the yellow/gray HST quilt. I will post pictures soon....after I give it to my friend. I doubt that she would see it but I'm not taking chances.

grammaterry
January 1st, 2018, 12:32 PM
Oh happy new years all. Its 7 degrees with a dusting of ice and snow and w wind chill of who knows. Makes the woodstove churn and the woodpile dwindle.
Monique, I am so sad for you. Having an addicted relative is a sad place. My baby sister was a heroine addict and my mother was an enabler. They lived across country and I had hoped that my mother would come to live with me when she retired but I set the rules that she could come but baby sister and her son could not. Mom opted to stay with sis who, after 30 years of addiction overdosed. BUt before that happened she bankrupted my mother, Mom lost her house and ended up at my nephews in the basement. The enabler is almost worse than the addict because they really do have a choice. Have tough love and set rules. DOn't let this person in your home. These rules may make their addiction REAL to the addict and they may seek help when they realize they are losing their family and friends.
Moving on...I will make the hog jowls early today and put on the canned collards and black eyed peas. Maybe make some kind of quick bread (I'm the only one who really loves any kind of bread...that's why DH is so skinny. lol) While the hog jowls are cooking slowly in the pan, I have my sewing machine set up in the kitchen due to the cold and I will sew some of the double wedding ring little pieces together. I seem to have done a good job cutting them. They are fitting together nicely. I haven't cut anything with scissors for years. (I did try to use the rotary cutter but I was not achieving very good accuracy)
Ohh, enough about me. Happy New year to all of you.

Ginny B
January 1st, 2018, 12:36 PM
Happy New Year all! We had a nice New Years Eve. I got a few rooms cleaned, made dinner for today, made a pot of onion soup for during the week and then DH made fantastic chicken marsala for dinner. Later on we went to our next door neighbors to ring in 2018. Came home around 1. Today will be a relaxing day. We will have some cinnamon buns for breakfast (our decadent treat to ourselves every New Years Day), watch the Rose Bowl parade and then just enjoy the rest of the day together.

I am looking forward to 2018. Wishing Health and happiness to everyone.

seaturtle
January 1st, 2018, 12:37 PM
Happy New Year to everyone! A friend just sent me a post on FB about 2018 and holidays. It seems Ash Wednesday is on Valentine's Day and Easter is on April Fool's Day. She is Catholic and fasts on Ash Wednesday. So much for dinner out. I'm not sure what to say about Easter on April Fool's Day...

Hope everyone stays warm and has a great day!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
January 1st, 2018, 12:55 PM
Good morning Monique and all the ladies on the thread. Another new year filled with hope and dreams. I'm wishing all the best to you, the courage to face whatever challenges get tossed our way and the love and understanding of family and friends.
DH and I went out to a very popular chinese food buffet. A girlfriend who lost her mom in October came with us. She has no family, except a few cousins out of province, and another girlfriend who is a chef at a popular Italian restaurant. She is always alone NY eve. We had an early reservation, and the place was packed. I didn't know if I should be flattered or if I looked really tired, but the waiter asked '4 seniors' and since you get a discount I didn't say anything. Maybe it's the company I keep. The food kept coming. I enjoyed a lot of sweet crab legs, seafood and some chinese dishes. I was very disciplined, and limited my food intake, until it came to desserts. I had four.
We watched some tv shows, but I flaked out at about 11. DH came to bed after midnight but was up from 2-5 with upset stomach. He is not digesting food well lately. I heard the bunny outdoor, below our window, trying to get under the plastic sheet of the window well during the night, but now I don't freak out as I know that no critter can get in. I think I will leave him some lettuce and carrots. He provides entertainment for our indoor cats. I don't know how long he will survive, the hawks usually get them.
I also visited my mom at her nursing home. The place has been quarantined since Dec 29 with gastro, flu. She had been ok, and I usually pick up her laundry and got there and she was now sick. I gown up and gloved up. I dont want to catch anything. I called her this morning to wish her happy new year, and she is better. Probably 24 hour thing.

I was up cooking up a storm this morning I like to make something with leftovers. I made 8 mini quiches, using hash brown patatoes as a crust. 2 with leftover smoked salmon and spinach, cheese and egg. 6 with smoked ham, bacon, spinach, peppers, egg and cheese. And one pie size with just meats- ham, bacon, sausage, cheese and spinach and cream. I ran out of eggs. I added feta cheese and black olives. It looks like a pizza. I also made 6 croissants. All set for the day. No big plans today except maybe finish my wall quilt and watch some of today's parades.
Have a good day everyone. 149062

Navy Wife
January 1st, 2018, 01:03 PM
It's cold in east Tennessee today. My thermometers don't agree on the exact temp, but somewhere between 15 and 19! Not supposed to be above 32 till next Sunday. I'm glad I don't have anywhere to go!

I'm planning to sew today. I have borders to put on a UFO from 2008. No company for us today. One DS and DDIL are sick, and the other one is still on the road home from Disneyworld. We'll have our blackeyed peas and cornbread. I hope we have better luck next year. This one has not been one of our best!

I hope you all have a wonderful New Year.

LLLinda
January 1st, 2018, 01:07 PM
It is a nippy minus 11 degrees here this morning. I really wanted to get out today but instead I will stay holed up mostly quilting. So that isn't all bad is it? Planning breakfast for supper tonight so easy cooking and cleanup.

Carolnnc
January 1st, 2018, 01:15 PM
Happy New Year!

Monique I'm so sorry that happened to you. It does seem as if every family has one person with addiction problems. For us it's my dear sweet husband's son. We purchased a safe that DH mounted to the closet wall & I had my neighbor make up an 8 digit combination for me. I keep all medications, the check book, our wills & a book with all accounts & passwords in there. Our adopted daughter is the only one with a key to our house, the combination to the safe & a copy of the wills.

Someone in the neighborhood starting shooting a gun at 10 pm last night & it was loud. We were headed to bed so I turned on our very loud fan to drown out the noise. At midnight I quietly whispered Happy New Year to a snoring hubby and then read on my Kindle until 3 am. I sure didn't want to get up this morning!

I read somewhere that what you do on New Years Day is what you'll be doing all year so I am going to work on a quilt today. I'm definitely NOT doing laundry or housework! Instead I'll turn up the music & try out my new rulers that I got for Christmas.

DH has to work as usual. I told him we'd be having collards, black-eyed peas, chow chow relish & pork for dinner. I usually make cornbread but I'm thinking biscuits with country ham instead. That's one of his favorite dinners so he was good with the menu.

I am looking forward to 2018. I see a lot of quilting in my future:)

I hope everyone has a great day!

laura44
January 1st, 2018, 01:34 PM
Happy New Year everyone! Other than church we did nothing yesterday.
I started a new quilt that has a lot of pieces but I like the colors.
I told my husband of 31 years that we have never went out and celebrated
New Years. (for many years he was a police officer and always worked).
Well he has been retired 8 years... He said "next year we will do something".
Uh huh. Interesting how many of you eat pork and black eyed peas.

MissMay
January 1st, 2018, 02:41 PM
HAPPY 2018 TO ALL. DH and I both woke up feeling good so the New Year is off to a good start. Sun is shining so that's another good thing, don't know or care about the temp as I;m not going anywhere today.

Not doing much today. DS#2 and DIL are coming over around 4 with some Chinese food, good way to start the New Year - No Cooking. Really need to start getting the house in better order especially the Mail, Have a box filled with junk mail that I have to review in case something important is hiding in there, then it all goes into the recycling bin. Noontime so I better get myself a snack so I won't be starving when our Chinese dinner arrives sometime after 4. We received some delicious pears and cheese as a Christmas gift and I think that will be a good snack.

toggpine
January 1st, 2018, 03:11 PM
Wow! It sounds like everybody has some good eats going on!
We will probably make a quiche or something with all of the leftovers I the fridge.

After I finish my coffee, we are headed out to muck the barns so we can start the year fresh and clean across the farm!

Happy new year everyone!

Anitamae56
January 1st, 2018, 03:18 PM
Happy new year!!!
I sewed yesterday , making one of my granddaughters a bag , she starts cosmetic school in a few weeks , I had kind of organized my sewing room , but it is a mess now, the bag has appliqués on it and i was looking through all my scraps, oh well. I will try to post a pic when I get it done if I can figure out how to post pic. It is a very cute pattern.
I got the beans cooking , potatoes peeled and chopped to fry. Will make cornbread about 4:30 they all will be here by 5. It is one of our favorite family meals. I wish Bubby and JCY could come!:)
I am so sorry that happened to you Monique, that would be so frustrating. Like several has said we all got someone with some similar problems , but that doesnt keep you from getting frustrated.
It is really cold here it is still has not got over 0' .
Have a good day to all!

Cokie
January 1st, 2018, 03:27 PM
Happy New Year everyone! We slept in this morning. Tomorrow I go back to work. DS came over and I made sausage gravy and biscuits for breakfast. I have chicken in the crockpot for creamed chicken sandwiches whenever the guys want to eat, and I made a Mexican layered dip and brownies last night. We watched the Rose Parade on TV and now there is a football game on TV - DH is asleep in the recliner and DS is stretched out on the couch - I'm sure he'll be sleeping soon too. I have a load of laundry to do and a couple of thank-you cards to write, and I want to update my planner and to-do list for the week. Hoping to get some of my stash organized too - I bought a couple of sweater boxes to use for that. Kind of a quiet, normal start to the New Year. Hope you all have a great day and stay warm, wherever you are!

JCY
January 1st, 2018, 08:34 PM
Anitamae ~ Thanks for thinking of me. It's always nice to eat food someone else has prepared. I was surprised to learn how many folks are having pork & black-eyed peas today. Is that a southern tradition? I don't think I've ever eaten collard greens. No special foods at our house today. DH eats his same foods every day, no matter what day of the week or holiday it is. I snacked at lunch time, then ate a late lunch of a frozen entrée. No muss, no fuss. I did my usual Mon. laundry, which today was 3 loads. This afternoon I stitched together sample blocks of my Kaffe Fassett quilt to make a practice sandwich. I should be able to do more sewing this eve.

Dollyquilts
January 1st, 2018, 08:58 PM
Katrina, my DD and DSIL are bringing me a plate of smoked turkey, black-eyed peas, cabbage and cornbread later. Aside from the neighborhood pyrotechnics, we had a quiet evening. My 19 YO DGD has the flu but the Tamiflu worked wonders and she's much better today. She is over at her parents' house infecting her dad now. They flooded during Harvey and are living in the upstairs during restoration. Keeping my fingers crossed that my flu shot will work.

Happy New Year to all with accompanying wealth and health and peace.