PDA

View Full Version : It's New Year's Eve Eve

Monique
December 30th, 2017, 09:21 AM
Good morning friends. Sorry I was MIA yesterday. Phil and Maizyn are here and I was visiting with Phil before I went to work. Now work is all done for 2017.

Not much happening around here the last couple of days except the extreme cold. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada was the coldest capital city in the WORLD the other day.

Tomorrow night is our annual New Year's Eve Seafood Fest.

So today I will enjoy the day with Maizyn.

Have a great day everyone and stay warm.

KPH
December 30th, 2017, 10:01 AM
Good Morning All,

You were missed yesterday, Monique! I'm so glad you had a nice time to visit with Phil and I know you'll have fun with Maizyn today.

Our three grands will be over today. Their dad has a sermon to prepare for tomorrow. I'm hoping he won't take after his Great Great Grandfather (Quaker minister in Amboy, IN). According to Grandmother Dail, he could preach for one to two hours and not think a thing about it, which made going to the Methodist Church seem silly to her. She loved to hear him speak.

The shell wreath we gave the kids had another shell fall off. I think I'm going to see if I can find some stronger glue and reinforce all of the shells. It's disappointing, to say the least. It's so pretty, but not holding up to what we paid for it.

DH took all of the Christmas stuff down, went through the house three times. Thought he had everything... lol, excepts the dingly dangles that I hung on the chandeliers. No worries. They're all snowflakes and crystals, so they'll be fine until I climb up on a chair to take them down.

Have a wonderfully creative day!

JCY
December 30th, 2017, 10:04 AM
Good Morning, All ~ After a balmy, windy day yest. of 66 deg., it's cold again. Most of the yard is clear of snow, except where it was piled up from shoveling. Our neighbors whose yard faces NE still has some lingering snow. Only 16 deg. tis a.m. I got all my errands done yest. The frig. is full again. Today I'll be baking DH's spelt bread.

I didn't get any sewing done yest., but I pressed the backing for the Kaffe Fassett quilt & cut strips for the binding. I discovered my old iron is leaking water, so I emptied it when I was finished yest. When my new iron comes, I will pitch this one, but at least it's getting me by till the new one arrives. I finally opened the large roll of batting, took off about half of it & rolled it up. The 2 smaller rolls are easier to manage.

It's hard to believe this year is almost over. I never know from one Christmas to the next if DH still will be with me. I heard once that the way to live a long life is to get a chronic illness & take good care of it. DH sure has had his share of health problems, but he keeps hanging in there. His weight crept up a little this mo. so he's weighing 99-100 lb. most days. He was 98 for a long time. Last year his weight dropped to 96 lb. Only the good Lord knows what the New Year holds for any of us.

Cathy F
December 30th, 2017, 10:15 AM
Morning all,
Slept in a bit this morning didn't want to get out from under those warm covers.
Enjoyed my visit with my sister yesterday. She brought her 4 year old granddaughter with her, and her son who was visiting from out of state. Had a nice dinner together and our visit went much too quickly.
I received my order from M* yesterday and I love that little hand held steam travel iron, a unique shape that fits nicely in the palm of your hand.
Can't wait to use it for my applique quilt.
Not much planned for today weather too cold and no where urgent that I have to go so will stay in and enjoy the warm of the fireplace with my book.
This year seemed to fly by, I guess the older you get the quicker time goes or so it seems. Wishing everyone a Happy New Year a bit early, be safe, and let's hope it's a good year for all of us!

Mary Lynn
December 30th, 2017, 10:34 AM
Goodbye to 2017. It has flown by, as they all seem to do. I think the highlight of the year was the cruise we took our son & family on to celebrate my husband’s 65 th birthday. Just a short cruise but everyone had a great time. The kids want to do another one this year, we said maybe when Grandpa turns 70.

I fly to Florida today to join husband for three weeks. I shut down sewing 2 days ago & will be in withdrawal for the 3 weeks. I was looking on line for LQS near where we are in Florida. Husband wasn’t impressed with that idea!

Have to clean up the house a bit this morning. My son will pick me up after lunch & take me to their house, so I can have visit with grands (Lily & Cole) before he takes me to airport. Cole’s birthday is Jan 1 so I want to give him present �� before I leave.

Stay warm everyone - that is the idea �� for the day.

Ginny B
December 30th, 2017, 10:44 AM
Good morning all. I slept in a bit too this morning. It's cold and starting to snow a bit. We are headed to step-daughter Vicky's house this morning to celebrate Christmas and Dh's birthday
It will be fun to be with Max, Lily and Henry.

Guess I'd better get a move on. We need to leave in about an hour.

Have a great day and keep warm.

Bubby
December 30th, 2017, 11:01 AM
Morning Everyone...It's dreary here and colder than cold. Jeff and I both have colds. We got totally chilled when we worked outdoors Wednesday at the apartments trying to winterize water lines in our vacant apartments. I was already sick.

I'm still working on the sewing room. I almost see the light at the end of the tunnel! I've made notes of what I want to finish and what I would like to make in 2018. In addition to the sewing mess I also have a machine embroidery mess to make sense of. One day at a time. Dottie has been clingy the past few days and has been in the middle of everything I've been doing.

Wishing everyone a warm and safe New Year's Eve Eve....Hugs, Barb

MissMay
December 30th, 2017, 11:39 AM
Cold, snowing and I ache all over, hoping it all ends with 2017 and it warms up and I'm all cured and fit when the ball drops announcing the New Year. I can dream, can't I? Fear I've been doing a bit too much but I certainly enjoyed spending time and sharing meals with so many family members and friends visiting us.

Time to go through all the gifts and begin putting some away. We both received some great books, DH hasn't put the one of cowboy novels and their authors history down since he opened his gift. Wonder if we will receive any surprises when we get the results of our DNAs? It was a gift from DS#3 and his wife? She did when she found out her father wasn't her biological father.

Hope you're feeling better Barb.

Patty J
December 30th, 2017, 12:06 PM
Happy New Year to Everyone. Wishing you a year of Laughter and Fun. If troubles come your way hoping that you have courage and peace to help you through it. Remember that life is a road with hills and turns that are unexpected. But that also can have benefits.
Have a Safe Holiday.

grammaterry
December 30th, 2017, 12:32 PM
Yesterday we went to town (Asheville 60 miles) to visit MIL from hospital. She was exhausted and sleeping so I guess we will trek in again today. I did stop at grocer and got the hogjowls for new years day. Had lunch with B & SIL while we waited for MIL to wake. They live at the coast so it was good to see them. THey just returned from a fun trip in S. Africa.
I've been cutting out the pieces for a double wedding ring. Lots of little pieces but it will use up a lot of excess scrappy pieces. I am debating on the background. I have some nice new almond colored sheets that are cotton that I'm thinking of using. I had a slew of them from the hotel that I didn't leave with the sale of the business. Seems like a good plan instead of buying more fabric right now.
Of course, it is still cold. The wood pile is diminishing rapidly. We thought we had enough for the winter but you know, the best laid plans....
Sounds like all of you are having a great time with visiting family and friends. One more day and we'll be at ought18. In the 60*s it seemed like 1984 was an eternity away...can you believe we mostly have lived thru the better part of a century?

MRoy
December 30th, 2017, 01:52 PM
It's a cold and gloomy New Year's Eve eve here and it's supposed to get colder, but it could be snowing so I'm not complaining (much). No resolutions, lists, or big plans written out for 2018...I never seem to stick with them. So, I'm taking one day at a time and living in the present. There is a saying: Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present.” Happy New Year to All!

MissMay
December 30th, 2017, 03:51 PM
Hey, The snow stopped and the Sun popped out nice and Bright so that raises my hopes that the temps will follow them and drop to a livable number for the ending days of 2017 and keep it up as long as possible in 2018. What do you think?

CraftyBarb
December 30th, 2017, 07:10 PM
Snowed here today though not that much. Maybe a little more then an inch..which is an inch to much. Went out twice to clean off the steps, driveway and car. Just took a nice hot shower and am now nice and warm and in my jammies. It's about 21 here right now..brrr.

Not doing anything for New Year's Eve..just staying home. My sister is going to go on a dinner cruise tomorrow night. It goes around NY and the statue of liberty and they will see the fireworks and the ball drop. Rather her then me...just not my kind of thing. Years ago I went on a one day cruise with my brother and sister-in-law from Port Canaveral. I was fine as long as the ship was moving..but as soon as we docked out in the water I was sick the whole time. Never again...that was it for me and boats.

Wishing everyone here and your familes a very Happy New Year.

jjkaiser
December 30th, 2017, 07:49 PM
GT-- hogjowls? Really? Is that something you eat? I mean, without someone putting a gun to your head? LOL! Crafty Barb I will take that 23 degrees you have, it is 2 degrees here and wind chill 16 below. Bitter cold! I shoveled the sidewalks and driveway this morning and my hands were so cold I couldn't even feel them. Yes I was wearing mittens but I definitely need thicker warmer ones! My dh is still recovering from surgery so no lifting for two more weeks. He always does the shoveling so I how those two weeks go by fast or the snow stops coming!!
I slept in this morning, didn't get up until 9:45!!! It was glorious after getting up for work at 5:30 all week. I didn't leave the house but got lots of little things done, housework and stuff. Even got into my sewing room for about 2 hours to work on my hippie quilt. It is coming along!
Supper is on the stove on simmer, stewed chicken made from scratch, the house smells delightful. Dh just made a big roaring fire, I have a fresh pot of coffee going, and have about 100 pages left in an excellent novel I have been reading. I would say all is right in my little world tonight.

grammaterry
December 30th, 2017, 09:21 PM
Well, hogjowls...I thought I would die the first year I married DH and he said we had to have hogjowls, collards and black eyed peas on New Years day. I took a spoonful of each and crunched on the hog jowl. THis went on for several years. Then I decided there had to be a better way. So I bought the hog jowls which look a lot like bacon (a little thicker) and have a tough rind on the outside. I peel them, soaked them and then I fried them. They were delightful. The collards...well...I discovered Old Glory brand seasoned with turkey and they were better and then I mixed the blackeyed peas into them and voila...I enjoyed it. It must work for the health, wealth and happiness thing because here we are...70, healthiest people in our age group we know and have enough money to live on comfortably if we're careful and we've been married 36 years now and things just trudge along so for one day a year, I can put up with DH's superstition and have peace and happiness through out the following days

LLLinda
December 30th, 2017, 10:49 PM
Terry are you not originally from the south? DH and I like black-eyed peas and have them occasionally, not just new years day.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
December 31st, 2017, 12:14 AM
Good evening everyone, it was a late day start as DH was up again most of night, and then slept in. This is really cutting my days short, but I do enjoy having my coffee. I got to the sewing room again today. Yesterday I had a plan for a wall quilt for meh sewing room, and I got the top done. Today I sandwiched it with fusible fleece, but found it thin, so I added a layer of another type of wall hanging batting. Found the perfect backing for it from my stash. I love it when I have all the right fabrics. I will embellish it with sewing related ornaments that I have been collecting for years.
I had to cut sewing short as we had an invitation from our neighbours to come over for drinks. She always puts on a beautiful spread. I love not having to drive out. My DD went out of town with family and grandkids. I actually was worried if something happened and they were stranded with the grandkids. She did text when they got home, so I was happy. Oh no, I am turning into my mom.
Tomorrow, we will go with friends to a buffet, as we did last year. It will be early, but that's ok, as my days of staying up all night are long past.
Good night all.