PDA

View Full Version : Last Friday of 2017

JCY
December 29th, 2017, 12:32 PM
Good Morning ~ I see lots of chatter on the Forum, but no daily thread for today, so I'll start.

It's partly cloudy, quite windy, & a balmy 56 deg., due to the Chinook wind. It may reach the 60's today -- another warm day before a change in the weather. It's supposed to be very windy at the higher elevations -- up to 70 mph in some areas -- so a high wind watch is in effect. We still have snow on the ground, but it's melting fast. It looks like New Year's Eve will be bitter cold in many areas, including Times Square.

I'm making progress on the Kaffe Fassett quilt. The top is done. I cut & pieced the backing yest. When I get this one sandwiched, that will be 2 quilts waiting for FMQ. The other is Donna Jordan's pattern for Cutting Corners.

I have errands to run: quilt store, bank, hardware, Vitamin Cottage, & groc. store... so I need to get going for the day. It's hard to believe 2017 is almost over. I hope everyone has a good New Years' week end.

Cathy F
December 29th, 2017, 12:59 PM
Morning all,
The sun is shining but the temps are still too cold for my liking.

Have been doing a little each day on the big clean of the sewing room. Doesn't seem so overwhelming if I just go in for short periods of time.I really must try harder to clean it up after each project, but when creativity hits things fly.
My sister is coming down from upstate for a visit today, I'm looking forward to seeing her and giving her the Christmas gift I made for her.
Should be getting my order from M* any day now, have to check the tracking. I ordered a small travel iron for my applique work. One of my goals for 2018 is to make the Winter Blessings applique quilt and have it done to hang on the wall for next Christmas. This iron will be handy and small enough to sit on my work station to fuse all the pieces so I'm not constantly walking back and forth to the ironing board.
Off to bake some brownies for my sister's visit.

Carlie Wolf
December 29th, 2017, 01:32 PM
It suppose to be 29 today. I had a few short errands to run locally, got up early, showered, gathered everything and went out to the car with Carlie and an armful of books for the library. Couldn't get into my car. In the 5 years I've been here I've never had all 4 doors frozen so solid that I couldn't even get the ice out with a blade. We've had a few ice storms but I could still get at least one door open. It looks like it's going to stay this way until at least right after the 1st of Jan. How frustrating is that? Thankfully my neighbor and good friend took me to the two places I had to go. I now am all set and don't have to go anywhere until my social security check comes in on the third. The car pretty well better be unfrozen by then! Oh and I did try some rubbing alcohol on the locks and around the doors. That didn't work. :-(

Cokie
December 29th, 2017, 01:47 PM
Good morning, all! It's cold here today and supposed to stay that way for the foreseeable future. I poked my head out to get the mail a bit ago and didn't tarry! I do have some errands to run. We are supposed to get snow later this afternoon into tomorrow so I'd like to get back before that happens. Need to do laundry and some cleaning today. I have enjoyed being off work this week but it's hard to believe the week is over! Think I'll put on some stew for dinner tonight. Ohio State and USC are playing in a bowl game and that will be on the TV at our house. Enjoy your day, everyone.

jjkaiser
December 29th, 2017, 01:59 PM
Ooh I will trade with anyone with temps above 50. I am so jealous! Here in Wisconsin it is 4 degrees with a high of 10. Supposed to be like this for another whole week. The wind chills at night are in the 20 below zero range. Glad I have an attached garage! Yesterday I took down my tree and all the decorations around the house, yes packed them all and put them away in the attic. The tree was dropping needles like crazy. My 5 yo gd came over just after I put the last box in the attic so I showed her how to use the vacuum cleaner. She thought it was kind of fun. Her Mom (my dd) came downstairs and said "Mom--she's only 5!!" like I was committing some sort of child abuse. Heck, it's only vacuuming, calm down. I started a new quilt before Christmas, it is pretty wild and scrappy, lots of fun colors. I just got my copy of the Spelling Bee book that was on sale last week so I think I will make up some blocks that say Peace & Love because it is kind of a hippie looking quilt. Not sure how that will look but in my mind I kind of like it. Well time for me to get back to work now. Hope everyone has a fun and safe New Year!! We are staying in.

shermur
December 29th, 2017, 02:06 PM
JJ, I agree. The temp here this morning was -8 degrees and I don't even want to know what the wind chill temp was....

We're supposed to get more snow next week!

Kgrammiecaz
December 29th, 2017, 02:19 PM
I am so not ready for the new year. I will spend this weekend "getting myself together" to have a good start.

I think it is cold here, but then I listen to all of you who are in weather below what we have and shiver just reading about it. I do not like our mini winters. Too much cold for me.

Caroline T.
December 29th, 2017, 02:43 PM
I've pretty much been out of the sewing room all week, first with Christmas, and then the day after Christmas my former DIL (whom I'm very close to), her new husband, and my grandson had to fly to NH, so I am dog sitting for them. My granddog is only 2 yrs old, still very much puppy....play; chew; walk; play; chew; walk; repeat (throw in feedings, medication, and bandage changing -he's got a booboo on his leg), so sewing hasn't been possible, much less sleeping. As much as I enjoy having a dog in the house again, I'll be glad when he goes home on Sunday.

We did have a white Christmas, but the rains started Tuesday evening and haven't let up, so the snow is all gone, and the puddles are deep, which makes the frequent dog walks miserable.

LauraP
December 29th, 2017, 02:51 PM
DH and I left KS before it got cold and are wintering in Quartzsite, AZ just twenty miles from Calif and an hour and a half from Mexico. Today was T-shirt weather and by this weekend it is supposed to be shorts! Eat your hearts out!!! Of course, we won't be here in the summer when it will be 120 for days on end.

Haven't been on in a while so I will catch you up on my families news.

We made a flying trip back to KS the first of Dec. Stayed a week. Just got back to AZ and my daughter, who lives by Flagstaff called and said "I'm getting married." Okay, when? "Tomorrow morning at 8:30." Take a deep breath thinking I just got out of the car after three days and it's a three hour drive back up there. Then she tells me since it is her second wedding and before a Judge that she's okay that we aren't there. Whew!!
She and new hubby will be moving to Texas in a few weeks since he just got posted there (Army). Hmmmm, another place I haven't been a lot so yeah I get to go visiting.

The other daughter who lives in upper NY by the Great Lakes is fighting pneumonia since they turned the heat off in the school when classes got out Friday, forgetting that she had after school kids till 6pm. Her oldest daughter will be starting college after Christmas break. Finally! Although I understand wanting a break between high school and college.

JCY
December 29th, 2017, 08:07 PM
Carlie ~ Did you try a hair dryer on your frozen door locks? Not sure if you had a long enough drop cord. I think one time I poured hot water on a door lock. I wonder if that anti-freeze spray stuff that comes in a can for icy windshields would work? It's no fun when things ice up.

KPH
December 29th, 2017, 08:36 PM
Oh, everyone sounds so cold. We've had dreary, damp and chilly. With the constant breeze it can catch you off guard. I pulled out my flannel lined jacket to wear the past couple of days. The sun should come out tomorrow. It tried today, but it didn't last long.

I joined the Secret Santa group. I think it will be fun.

DH and I went to Hobby Lobby, Michael's, and Bed Bath and Beyond. We picked up some storage containers on sale, two table cloths and matching napkins.

DH cleaned up all the Christmas stuff today. Tomorrow we'll have the grand kids while DS prepares his sermon. We'll be heading to Nana and Nandy's house Sunday afternoon for an open house. Their daughter and son in law that live in Ireland are home for the week. Nana says, we're not going to make it until midnight. I laughed and said, I knew I wouldn't last that long!

The next few days sound busy. We're going to make snow for E and Z on Monday and read one of the Snowmen books. I'm not sure if we're back on home school schedule or not.

Joy, I hope you have a great visit with your sister. And for those that are in the deep freeze, I hope it breaks soon. Spring will be here before you know it.

Prayers for those in need for healing and quick recuperations.

oldsewer
December 29th, 2017, 11:11 PM
Carlie, they make lock de-icer. Any hardware store or auto store should have it. A little bottle with a long, thin nozzle. You put the nozzle in the lock and spray. Works great! Definitely worth keeping around. Oldsewer

Carlie Wolf
December 29th, 2017, 11:26 PM
JCY, oldsewer, I didn't have anything around the house to use and of course couldn't get to a store to get any of that LOL. I'm going to pick up some of that when I get my social security check on the 3rd. I might get some vasaline to put on the rubber around the frame of the doors. This car is a 1997 so it's showing wear all over the place. I sprayed the alcohol into the key opening and could get my key in but it still wouldn't turn. In the past I rarely had a problem with the lock, it was more that moisture had frozen around the doors, that's why I had taken to just slipping a blade between the doors and the frame. I think I have a long enough indoor/outdoor power cord and my dryer might still work. It's been eons since I used that LOL.

Caroline T.
December 29th, 2017, 11:39 PM
Carlie, they make lock de-icer. Any hardware store or auto store should have it. A little bottle with a long, thin nozzle. You put the nozzle in the lock and spray. Works great! Definitely worth keeping around. Oldsewer
Just be sure not to store it IN the car. Learned that the hard way LOL

grammaterry
December 30th, 2017, 12:00 AM
Try a bic lighter. First on the lock and then heat the key and then the lock. After you heat the key, hold it in your glove while you heat the lock. Keep repeating this process. It will eventually after a few trys work. Our gate lock did this all winter last year and I would have to do it everynight. Also you might try getting down and blowing your breath into the lock as well. Sometimes when I didn't have a lighter, that would work.
It suppose to be 29 today. I had a few short errands to run locally, got up early, showered, gathered everything and went out to the car with Carlie and an armful of books for the library. Couldn't get into my car. In the 5 years I've been here I've never had all 4 doors frozen so solid that I couldn't even get the ice out with a blade. We've had a few ice storms but I could still get at least one door open. It looks like it's going to stay this way until at least right after the 1st of Jan. How frustrating is that? Thankfully my neighbor and good friend took me to the two places I had to go. I now am all set and don't have to go anywhere until my social security check comes in on the third. The car pretty well better be unfrozen by then! Oh and I did try some rubbing alcohol on the locks and around the doors. That didn't work. :-(

Carlie Wolf
December 30th, 2017, 01:14 AM
LOL CarolineT, yes, that sounds like something I'd do. I've more then once also stored my windshield wiper thingie in the trunk and then can't open the trunk with all the snow and ice piled up on it.

carolynrae
December 30th, 2017, 03:31 AM
I am feeling guilty, it got up to 84 today, actually that was to hot for me. Certainly, in the teens is toooo cold.