PDA

View Full Version : Oh boy? or Oh Girl? or Oh Dear!

KPH
December 29th, 2017, 12:07 AM
It's a secret, but I'll tell all of you. My niece is going to have a baby. She was almost 2 when DH and I got married. So she's 39 years old. Her only son is a high school senior. Her husband's daughter, that they raised together has just had a baby, so she's already a grandma. I'm worried about her, since she's lost several babies.

I really wonder what her son is thinking about all of this! MIL is cautiously excited. Not sure what her hubby is feeling, he doesn't come around to our family events much.

I'm going to keep a positive attitude, the Good Lord knows what's best. In the next few weeks, I'll start looking for baby fabric so I can make a baby quilt.

toggpine
December 29th, 2017, 12:18 AM
May she have a blessed pregnancy. It is quite the thing to start over, but being a late life Mom, I knew so much more and was able to enjoy my daughter in ways that some of the younger moms can't as they are busy working trying to make ends meet.

Much happiness to all involved!

LLLinda
December 29th, 2017, 12:27 AM
I sure hope this ends well for the family. Can certainly understand your concern. The senior boy will either be thrilled or be happy to be going away to college.:icon_heh:

Debbie Watters
December 29th, 2017, 01:32 AM
Wishing for the best for her and her family ... prayers ...

Simply Quilting
December 29th, 2017, 02:04 AM
As one who has children very spread out. Our oldest ds was a sophomore when our baby was born last year. As first he would not really have much to do with him. Then he would play but not pick him up. Then at 10 months he was picking him up and plays with him all the time. He is usually the first to want to hold him now.

As far as having a baby later in life, it has been a huge joy. For one thing, we remember how quickly they grow up and secondly, much more calmer about things and know what to expect. Although this sweet one likes to keep us on our toes.

Praying for her during this time that everything go smoothly.

Navy Wife
December 29th, 2017, 11:22 AM
My mother had my sister at 42. I was 20, and no other brothers and sisters. She told everyone she had 2 only children!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
December 29th, 2017, 11:41 AM
I am hoping all is well with the pregnancy, and pray for a healthy baby. I am certain that having your children later in life have its benefits. It keeps you young and active. She just can't let her hair go gray, otherwise she will be mistaken for the grandma.

JCY
December 29th, 2017, 12:04 PM
My mom was 40 when I was born. My bro. was 12 and my sis 15. For many yrs., I thought I was a menopause "surprise", but no, I was planned. My bro. & sis had asked for a sibling. When mom first was married, she was told by her dr. that she had a "tipped uterus" & probably wouldn't get pregnant. She ended up having 3 of us. My parents were missionaries in Mozambique back in the 1920's. Both my siblings were born in S. Africa. I was born years later in NY, where my dad was pastoring. I think a lot of women are having babies close to that 40 y.o. time frame. It will all work out. I hope all goes well with her pregnancy. If they don't want to know the sex of the baby ahead of time, you always can make something "gender neutral" with greens & yellows.

KarenC
December 29th, 2017, 12:11 PM
May this be a blessed pregnancy and gift to the family.

grammaterry
December 29th, 2017, 12:19 PM
cONGratulations...a baby is a joy and a blessing no matter when it occurs. Have Joy

jjkaiser
December 29th, 2017, 02:11 PM
I am a little superstitious, I don't know why. Don't start making the quilt until the Mom makes it to her second trimester. Hope all goes well. I was 40 when my last baby was born. My two older daughters like to rewrite history (IMHO) and claim that we were much stricter with them and "the baby" always got away with stuff they never would have.

Kgrammiecaz
December 29th, 2017, 02:17 PM
I am a little superstitious, I don't know why. Don't start making the quilt until the Mom makes it to her second trimester. Hope all goes well. I was 40 when my last baby was born. My two older daughters like to rewrite history (IMHO) and claim that we were much stricter with them and "the baby" always got away with stuff they never would have.

I had to laugh, I too had a child later (age 35). My other two were 11 and 15 at the time. The older girls say the same thing - that my younger girl got away with everything, lol. But they spoiled her just as much. Today they say she is my favorite, that its all about her. And if you ask my youngest, she will say, yes, it is always all about her. I learned a lot raising the first two, and changed the way I did things, for the better of course. The biggest lesson I learned was do not let them quit things they start.

I am sure the new baby to come will be a true blessing and loved by all.

dwil23
December 29th, 2017, 02:29 PM
My mom was 40 when I was born. My bro. was 12 and my sis 15. For many yrs., I thought I was a menopause "surprise", but no, I was planned. My bro. & sis had asked for a sibling. When mom first was married, she was told by her dr. that she had a "tipped uterus" & probably wouldn't get pregnant. She ended up having 3 of us. My parents were missionaries in Mozambique back in the 1920's. Both my siblings were born in S. Africa. I was born years later in NY, where my dad was pastoring. I think a lot of women are having babies close to that 40 y.o. time frame. It will all work out. I hope all goes well with her pregnancy. If they don't want to know the sex of the baby ahead of time, you always can make something "gender neutral" with greens & yellows.

My Mom was told the same thing! I was born when she was 35 and my sister at 38.

As for me, I had the same "condition". I had my oldest DS at 23 and my baby DS 3 weeks before my 40th birthday. Two girls in between. First born less than 2 years after the first and then a ten year gap. The two older ones were very mature for their ages and were often mistaken for the parents of the two younger ones! Of course I was mistaken for "grandma".

Praying all goes well with this pregnancy and the baby will certainly be a huge blessing for your neice and her family!

Vonnie
December 29th, 2017, 04:42 PM
Congratulations and hope all goes well for them.

Both my grandmothers had babies into their 40's. My oldest uncle was married when my grandmother had her youngest, a daughter. My aunt and cousin were raised more like sisters than aunt and niece. There was no birth control back then. And also back then, they had their babies at home. My husband and I are also old enough to be our youngest child's grandparents.

SallyO'Sews
December 30th, 2017, 02:24 PM
My oldest (of ten) was also a senior when I had my youngest. We were driving to colleges for interviews when I was 6 months pregnant! Now he is 37 and married with children and she is almost 21 and a senior in college, and they are great friends, even though she is closer in age to his oldest DD than to him.

I'm finding that one of the biggest blessings to having more than one child is that as they become adults, the age differences seem less important, and watching them be friends as well as family is hugely gratifying. Praying for this precious new life, and for great joy in the entire family.